I Feel Bad For The Tampa Bay Rays

marlins1994

Because of this, it's hard to imagine that the Tampa Bay Rays will get a new stadium in the St. Pete/Tampa Metropolitan area. TBH, they probably won't be able to get a new stadium in Florida. As a Native Floridian, huge baseball fan, and how the Rays are kind of like the Marlins little brother, I'm a little sad.

The Rays couldn't move across the bay, let lne get a new ballpark before this deal.

They were destined to finish out their lease and move away in 2015 or so.

Tampa Bay will be fine. I can see them playing in Brooklyn or Boston come 2020, with a few years sharing CitiField or Fenway.

What were the relocation cities again?

After seeing that list, I see NC, NY, NV,and MA as legit threats.

I don't see Conn, Mon, or SA as legit options.

The trend has been to go to Brooklyn. Their colors and identity screams old school baseball.

I see them Movin to Brooklyn and playing a few years in Citi Field until a ballpark is ready for them. They may even renovate the cyclones park. Admin woul know if its possible.

But to get back on topic- the rays fate was sealed well before this. The mayor of St Pete won't let them leave to Tampa, wont discuss a ballpark and won't let them break the lease.

They are stuck.

A sitting duck if you will.

This is 2005 regarding Marlins relocation:

As of now, the Marlins are entertaining calls from other markets. Samson didn't mention any specific cities or areas, but he noted that the places that expressed interest when the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington are likely candidates.

Las Vegas, northern New Jersey, Portland, Ore., Monterrey, Mexico, and Northern Virginia are likely choices.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051122&content_id=1271440&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&fext=.jsp

I see NY/Brooklyn being the place they land.

Rays coming to Miami would be exciting, and sharing the park would be ideal fan wise- but I don't see it happening.

The Rays are our little brother? Well I guess their franchise is technically younger but f*** me if their organization isn't 10 time more competent than ours.

The Rays are our little brother? Well I guess their franchise is technically younger but f*** me if their organization isn't 10 time more competent than ours.

Amazingly they got more competent after losing Dan Jennings, oh wait he works for the Marlins!!!

As much as I've tried not to root for the Rays, I certainly hope they stay in the TB area, but seeing the Marlins have probably screwed any state team from getting public funding, I wish them well where ever they go

Loria will kill the marlins and the rays will move to Miami.

I'm kind of hoping for that. but Loria's not going to kill the Marlins. he's going to keep them until he dies because the MLB allows it.

they're not going to Brooklyn. that's ridiculous.

did you see how empty the Yankees park was during the playoffs?

As of now, the Marlins are entertaining calls from other markets. Samson didn't mention any specific cities or areas, but he noted that the places that expressed interest when the Montreal Expos relocated to Washington are likely candidates.

Las Vegas, northern New Jersey, Portland, Ore., Monterrey, Mexico, and Northern Virginia are likely choices.

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...d=mlb&fext=.jsp

Rays coming to Miami would be exciting, and sharing the park would be ideal fan wise- but I don't see it happening.

Yea, if the Rays and Marlins shared, that would be pretty cool. I don't think any two baseball teams have shared a field ever for a season or more, correct?

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...d=mlb&fext=.jsp

Yea, if the Rays and Marlins shared, that would be pretty cool. I don't think any two baseball teams have shared a field ever for a season or more, correct?

They have, most recent example I can think of is the Yankees playing at Shea Stadium for two years while renovating Old Yankee Stadium in the early 80's.

Boston Braves used to share Fenway as well, and LA Angels with LA Dodgers in the 60's.

Hmmm. Well, sharing would be an interesting experiment. However, with the relocation possibilities, Brooklyn does sound like a nice spot. BTW, the dolphins could also be affected by this. It may decrease Sun Life's chances of ever getting a Super Bowl, or even worse for fins fans (Sorry, I'm a Jets Fan), they could move.

Amazingly they got more competent after losing Dan Jennings, oh wait he works for the Marlins!!!

As much as I've tried not to root for the Rays, I certainly hope they stay in the TB area, but seeing the Marlins have probably screwed any state team from getting public funding, I wish them well where ever they go

I don't see the Marlins as being the main cause of any funding not made. Maybe an excuse or a reason for the anti-stadium people, because there are very active anti-stadium people everywhere. Remember in Arizona, an irate constituent shot a council person after they agreed to fund building the stadium. Anyway, funding or bias for anything in S Florida is always viewed differently than any other part of Florida once you get past Palm Beach County.

But given the success of the Rays and the horrible support for a winning team, not counting the cow bells, it will be hard to get the funding. They could cut and sell Dewayne's 1980's perm.

but realistically speaking, the rays r stuck.

Looks like they are, atleast until 2016. Moving to Tampa seems unlikely-

Kathleen Ford says the Rays are committed by contract to play at Tropicana Field through 2027. She refuses to even speculate on alternatives.

"I'm more concerned about the local economy and having more officers on the street and decreasing taxes,'' Ford says.

Bill Foster can foresee concrete rising from the ground as early as 2016, when the current bonds expire on Tropicana Field.

Yes, the city could try to enforce the Trop agreement until 2027, Foster says, but teams break contracts all the time and no telling how messy a lawsuit could be.

Montreal

http://coolopolis.bl...we-get-our.html

The media landscape has changed now and Montreal would secure a good TV deal.

As I said in another post I would not discount the Marlins leaving and the Rays moving to Miami.

Never going to happen, Montreal that is. They failed in public financing and can't even get a Hockey team to move to Quebec.

Marlins leaving won't happen either- unless MLB buys the Marlins and relocates to St Pete to take the Rays lease, and TB moves to Miami.

AKA, Never going to happen, and I'd rather not lose Stanton.