I Feel Bad For The Tampa Bay Rays

marlins1994

The Charlotte Metro Area is 1.7m people. If it can't have a team then half the baseball markets cannot either.

Supposedly 840,000 live within a 30 minutes drive to the park. http://www.bizofbaseball.com/PopulationtoMLBBallparks.htm

That would make them 2nd worst in MLB (behind the Rays). 3rd worst would be 1.18 million (Pittsburgh).

Less than a million cannot really sustain a MLB team.

The Knights ballpark is being built

http://charlotteknightsatuptown.com/

Charlotte would be the ideal city for relocation in NC as it would pull from South Carolina as well since it is right on the boarder. Charlotte has also stepped nicely with the Mass Transit.

The triple A Charlotte Knights have been trying to get a stadium built near the Panthers arena but a lawyer keeps blocking the deal because by building the arena, it basically means no MLB stadium and he's an advocate for MLB.

The rays would be the perfect candidate to relocate to NC. The Rays could have a nice thing going with the Durham bulls, their triple a team about 3 hours away.

If they build a nice 37,000 seat ballpark In charlotte and have a nicely run organization, I think it would be successful. Maybe not sellouts but Successful.

You know I love you Piazza but I don't see the point of giving Brooklyn a team when you have 2 other franchises within a the New York metropolitan area and they can't even get close to selling out.

Don't ever try and tell me we didn't care about the game. Ask Dave Van Horne which is the better market (South Florida or Quebec) and he will say Montreal.

You're sure about that?

Yes - Dave has said that many times.

There are many factors why baseball died in Montreal. In the early 80's much of the anglophone population fled to Ontario because of language laws. Until then the team did not market the francophone market as strongly as they did the anglo. However by 1994 the team was accepted in the francophone community.

The stadium was bad and getting to it from the west island was worse. The Big O is located in the east end which is all French and while it was on a Metro line, the subway did not go into English areas.

Baseball Montreal has met with Selig and has a plan in place but a team has to commit before a park is built. In any event we are the only city with a stadium in place.

Baseball will return to Montreal at some point and if you put the new Expos in the AL East they would draw with rivals like Toronto, Yankees and Boston.

Don't ever try and tell me we didn't care about the game. Ask Dave Van Horne which is the better market (South Florida or Quebec) and he will say Montreal.

You're sure about that?

Yes - Dave has said that many times.

There are many factors why baseball died in Montreal. In the early 80's much of the anglophone population fled to Ontario because of language laws. Until then the team did not market the francophone market as strongly as they did the anglo. However by 1994 the team was accepted in the francophone community.

The stadium was bad and getting to it from the west island was worse. The Big O is located in the east end which is all French and while it was on a Metro line, the subway did not go into English areas.

Baseball Montreal has met with Selig and has a plan in place but a team has to commit before a park is built. In any event we are the only city with a stadium in place.

Baseball will return to Montreal at some point and if you put the new Expos in the AL East they would draw with rivals like Toronto, Yankees and Boston.

You put any team in the AL east with the Boston and the Yankees and they'll draw better than Montreal in their final decade.

What makes your city's stadium plan better than Portlands plan, which was approved back in 2001- also waiting for a commitment?

Montreal is a crappy environment for a baseball team.

And the former Expos great your thinking of is Warren Cromartie, not Van Horne. Show me where horn said Baseball Purgatory was great.

Dave had many offers to leave Montreal in 32 years but he stayed.

One memory of our last game which we lost to the Marlins 9-0. Samson was actually taunting writers in the press box about what a loser town Montreal was and one sportswriter slammed him against a wall. It was not pretty.

I have a gut feeling that Samson is not liked by the Cuban community just remembering how he belittled the Francophones every chance he could.

Blue Jays games on French channel TVA had more viewers than Marlins did in Florida. There is still a basic love of the game here.

Quebecor Media has hinted that they have had discussions with a MLB team that is in trouble, (and it is not in Florida or Oakland)

Watch this and tell me we did not care.

You still did not care-

When you know someone is dying you make every attempt to see them to cherish the memories. That's all 2001-2005 was.

Baseball and the Expos in general are better off in Washington then in Montreal.

Van Horne being employed for 32 years in Montreal says nothing of his love for it. Many enjoy the job security more than the job itself after a certain number of years.

If he has supposed love got the city and was devastated how the team left he would have never signed on to work for Loria again in Miami.

Feel free to show me some quotes beyond the expos leaving about how great it is there. I don't want a quote from their final game. I mean one when he was in Boston or in Miami working. I don't believe you'll find one.

Not to mention that if he loved the job so much/ he wouldn't have worked from home in Florida during the Expos final years.

How large is that Blue Jays french TV market that has more viewers than the Marlins in Florida?

Quebec and Montreal should be as big as 1500 miles I believe but I'm on my phone And don't know how the provinces too well.

Id guess the blue jays market is 1/3 of Canada. Toronto Ontario is also so big it can support two hockey teams if they wanted to and they've contemplated it.

Remember the French Market is all of Montreal and Quebec, where English is the second language to French.

Baseball is a niche sport in Montreal, much like Hockey is in the sunshine belt. The thrashers left and will thrive in tiny Winnipeg. The Rays can't in Montreal .

Oh and you still didn't answer my questions Expos, what makes montreals stadium plan- supposedly the only one approved by any relocation market , better then Portlands decade long approved plan which is a beautiful plan in my mind.

I await your answer. Montreal isn't the only market prepared for a team to move in.

Dave had moved to South Florida and was grateful that Loria paid him in 2000 even though the games were internet only. AM English radio in Montreal is a tough sell. The station the Expos were on for most of Dave's time went dark.

He has been trying to get his old Expos partner Jerry Trupiano on Marlins radio as he can not stand Glenn Geffner but management likes Glenn.

Miami is in no danger of losing baseball with the new park. Tampa is running out of time and at some point the Rays will buy out the lease.

You still did not care-

When you know someone is dying you make every attempt to see them to cherish the memories. That's all 2001-2005 of so was.

Baseball and the Expos in general are better off in Washington then in Montreal.

Can Horne being employed for 32 years in Montreal says nothing of his love for it. Many enjoy the job security more than the job itself after a certain number of years.

If he has supposed love got the city and was devastated how the team left he would have never signed on to work for Loria again in Miami.

Feel free to show me some quotes beyond the expos leaving about how great it is there. I don't want a quote from their final game. I mean one when he was in Boston or in Miami working. I don't believe you'll find one.

Not to mention that if he loved the job so much/ he wouldn't have worked from home in Florida during the Expos final years.

Dave had moved to South Florida and was grateful that Loria paid him in 2000 even though the games were internet only. AM English radio in Montreal is a tough sell. The station the Expos were on for most of Dave's time went dark.

He has been trying to get his old Expos partner Jerry Trupiano on Marlins radio as he can not stand Glenn Geffner but management likes Glenn.

Miami is in no danger of losing baseball with the new park. Tampa is running out of time and at some point the Rays will buy out the lease.

You still did not care-

When you know someone is dying you make every attempt to see them to cherish the memories. That's all 2001-2005 of so was.

Can Horne being employed for 32 years in Montreal says nothing of his love for it. Many enjoy the job security more than the job itself after a certain number of years.

Your basis speculation is nothing more then that- speculation.

Where is the proof Van Horne doesn't like Geffner.

Oh and you still didn't answer my questions Expos, what makes montreals stadium plan- supposedly the only one approved by any relocation market , better then Portlands decade long approved plan which is a beautiful plan in my mind.

I await your answer. Montreal isn't the only market prepared for a team to move in.

Because a team could move to Montreal tomorrow and use Stade Olympique until new stadium was built. No other city has that option.

Because a team could move to Montreal tomorrow and use Stade Olympique until new stadium was built. No other city has that option.

Doesn't San Antonio? With the Alamodome? Or Portland with Beaver and Oregon Duck Stadiums.

Or Montery, Mexico or San Juan, Puerto Rico-

Portland may be the least able to hold a team at this time, but they are 200-400 Miles away from Seattle and can share Safeco for a year if needed.

Alamodome is hosting MLB games this year, and Puero rico and Mexico have done so in the past- as you must know by now.

How large is that Blue Jays french TV market that has more viewers than the Marlins in Florida?

TVA was averaging 110,000 household in French ( Sportsnet in English was over 600,000 households)

The Marlins were averaging 35,000 households the first half of 2012

http://www.sportsbus...LB-ratings.aspx

What I said about Geffner is not speculation. My current job is a senior producer for CKGM Radio (TSN 690 AM)

http://www.tsn.ca/montreal/

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/10/01/Media/MLB-RSNs.aspx

TVA was averaging 110,000 household in French ( Sportsnet in English was over 600,000 households)

What I said about Geffner is not speculation. My current job is a senior producer for CKGM Radio (TSN 690 AM)

That explains your strong desire and knowledge of ratings, however it doesn't put those words in his mouth. Have you personally heard him say he doesn't like Geffner? Otherwise it's hearsay.

The Market is considerably larger then the Marlins market, with Blue Jays stations in Nova Scotia, Ontario, New Brunswick, Quebec, Manitoba, British Columbia, Alberta, and one more I'm forgeting. In other words the entire country of Canada has to listen to Blue Jays games if they want to listen to baseball. That's like comparing the amount of people who listen to NHL hockey all across the US to just the Panthers radio reach.

The entire Province of Quebec is french speaking, which I'm sure makes up much of that number. The official language is french I believe, and they force coaches and players to learn french to play and work in that market.

Portland plan is such a great plan for any ballpark project, it should have and could have been perfect here in South Florida- with the Heat and now Marlins playing here.

They have earmarked the tax income collected by professional athletes and its teams employees taxes to go directly into payign off the debt from any ballpark or stadium that would be built in the state. With the Heat and Marlins, and I believe the Dolphins (Miami Gardens is Miami-Dade I believe) all employing such high salaried workers, their allocated tax money can pay off a significant portion of the debt.

Not to mention the cut from visiting players taxes being allocated to the fund too, since if they work in Miami for 3 days- the taxes from that could pay off part of the debt as well.

The main reason it wasn't used here in Miami is the lack of a State Income tax, although I'm unsure if visiting athletes still pay anyway. I believe they do.

The Montreal plan uses the same tax formula as without the park the payroll don't exist.

If the 1994 strike didn't happen the Expos would still exist. Also at that time the Canadian was very weak ( $100 US would buy close to $150 CDN) but now it is equal.

Yes I have heard Dave talk about Geffner.

A Toronto columnist wants Marlins fans to quit crying.

Why Marlins fans should stop crying foul: Perkins

Loria does have one rebuttal - the team won 69 games and he blew it up. It is not like the World Series teams being gutted. What the Marlins do the next 2 months will tell the real story. I fully expect A-Rod to wind up in Miami.

Ozzie being fired should help repair damages with the Cuban community.

From what friends in South Florida tell me the Marlins biggest selling job is to get fans in Broward and Palm Beach to drive into Miami.

The transplant issue is also hard to address as a New Yorker is going to stay a Yankees/Mets fan, New Englanders Red Sox and so on.

That explains your strong desire and knowledge of ratings, however it doesn't put those words in his mouth. Have you personally heard him say he doesn't like Geffner? Otherwise it's hearsay.

The Market is considerably larger then the Marlins market, with Blue Jays stations in Nova Scotia, Ontario, New Brunswick, Quebec, Manitoba, British Columbia, Alberta, and one more I'm forgeting. In other words the entire country of Canada has to listen to Blue Jays games if they want to listen to baseball. That's like comparing the amount of people who listen to NHL hockey all across the US to just the Panthers radio reach.

The entire Province of Quebec is french speaking, which I'm sure makes up much of that number. The official language is french I believe, and they force coaches and players to learn french to play and work in that market.

Portland plan is such a great plan for any ballpark project, it should have and could have been perfect here in South Florida- with the Heat and now Marlins playing here.

They have earmarked the tax income collected by professional athletes and its teams employees taxes to go directly into payign off the debt from any ballpark or stadium that would be built in the state. With the Heat and Marlins, and I believe the Dolphins (Miami Gardens is Miami-Dade I believe) all employing such high salaried workers, their allocated tax money can pay off a significant portion of the debt.

Not to mention the cut from visiting players taxes being allocated to the fund too, since if they work in Miami for 3 days- the taxes from that could pay off part of the debt as well.

The main reason it wasn't used here in Miami is the lack of a State Income tax, although I'm unsure if visiting athletes still pay anyway. I believe they do.