Dolphins talking smack about Marlins Park in effort to get their renov

Silly Dolphins! Look at the great team the Marlins have assembled, all the money that's been spent by their great owner, the lack of empty seats around the stadium, and the ASG that's not gonna be awarded to the city in 2015. Clearly this was a great deal!

Mhmm, yep, valid points. Still doesn't mean the Dolphins can just step on us cuz its the cool thing to do. If anything they should be on our side. The people who are/were against Marlins Park should be against the Dolphins renovations as well. Case in point, Braman is back at it against the Fins too.

I'm not a fan of Loria either and I know the faults of the Marlins and their ballpark too... but as a Marlins fan I'm insulted the Dolphins took this route. That is all.

Neither team deserves a handout. The Dolphins are actually being smart (for once) in trying to distance themselves from what the Marlins did, tho. I mean, what else are they gonna say, "look at all the wonderful things Marlins Park has done for the community"?

No, they should just take the high road and not bring up the Marlins, its such a cheap, easy way out.

And you say neither team deserves it, I'm ok with that. To me either both deserve it or both don't.

Neither team deserves a handout. The Dolphins are actually being smart (for once) in trying to distance themselves from what the Marlins did, tho. I mean, what else are they gonna say, "look at all the wonderful things Marlins Park has done for the community"?

No, they should just take the high road and not bring up the Marlins, its such a cheap, easy way out.

There's no way they can't address that with it being on everyone's mind.

There's no way they can't address that with it being on everyone's mind.

Exactly. With what has happened to the Marlins since about July, it is fresh on the tax payers' minds. It may be, and probably is a futile attempt at distancing themselves from the at least publicly perceived terrible deal the county and city made with the Marlins, but they have got to try. I doubt it works. And I doubt they get that SB. I really think they know that. The timing couldn't be worse. Last year Ross had to be praying to the baseball gods, the NFL gods, and the gods of every religion that the Marlins make the WS series. That was about the only way they could get any type of public funding.

The Dolphins have already had two bites at the 30 mill apple of FL sales tax money. 60 mill total. They're still collecting 2 mill a year (15 year deal) for the alterations made long ago to accommodate the Marlins at Joe Robbe.

The Marlins tried and repeatedly failed -- they never got a dime of FL sales tax money. They got Miami-Dade TOURIST hotel bed-tax money, a tax mostly (99%) on non-locals and specifically dedicated to sports facilities. Which is just a goofy tax that depresses tourism below what it would be in the absence of the tax. But, hey, look, we have this revenue -- we have to spend 1% of the 6% tax on sports facilities!

Now, I don't think that any owner should ever get a dime of ANY taxpayer's money for ANY reason because it doesn't do anything other than divert revenue from other forms of entertainment to the tax-favored business, but, unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

This is actually kind of funny -- it sets up a situation where Loria got the stadium built mainly with non-local taxpayer money, but Ross may fail to get his renovations paid for because of Loria's success at manipulating the idiots who hold local office. Well, together with the fact that the morons writing for the local rags have the public believing that they're tourists paying the bed tax.

The local ink-stained wretches are too damned dense to point out that if there was no 6% bed-tax at all that tourism would be greater than it is (6% ain't peanuts and it affects where people decide to hold conventions) and provide more jobs for the locals they claim to care so much about.

The only actual local cost of the Marlins stadium is the opportunity cost of the lost jobs due to the bed-tax. Could easily be 5 to 10%. A concept that is apparently beyond both the writers and most of their audience. Not to mention the "public servants" in local government.

Ross hasn't tried to explain what's really going on, probably because he knows perfectly well that he's not entitled to any taxpayer money, so to hell with him.

I hope his whole deal falls flat on its face. If it does, Loria will have done an inadvertent public service.

:lol

"He was signed by the Royals but announced his retirement two months later."

How can you retire what you never started? He literally has no minor league stats.

I think it's time for me to announce my retirement from baseball soon. Stay tuned.

Will you have a press conference on ESPN and say you're taking your hoveround to South Beach?