Loria's letter to the fans

Guest Guest

So, you're just never going to answer the question? That just backs up what I said earlier, some people have a bias with Loria when it comes to everything. This is a case where it makes zero sense to believe Reyes' side of the story.

I did answer your question. A couple of times. There is no reason for Reyes to lie here. It seems as if Loria told him to buy a house on the promise that he would be in Miami for the long haul(much like their promise not to trade him in spite of a no-trade clause, which Mark Buehrle says he also received) and then two days later when this big trade materialized seemingly out of thin air, Reyes was gone along with two broken promises in one fell swoop.

As why Loria would lie, well he did just commence a trade that pretty well universally disgusted and infuriated the entire world of professional baseball. It was unpopular and widely mocked. And this comes out which makes them look worse than they already do. It is damage control.

On top of that, you have Loria's very pronounced history of lying about pretty much everything, from the teams finances to commitments(the backloaded contract/no trade/shut fans up/get rid of them after one season has become their hallmark, i.e. when they signed Delgado in an attempt to show they would spend in their initial pushes for a new stadium and dealing him when the plan fell through despite a good season, much like Reyes).

Loria has never given any reason to trust him as an owner.

None of this makes sense.

If he lied about finances, the reason was to not make himself look like a fraud. That would make sense.

The Reyes thing, there is no reason for him to lie.

As for Buehrle, he's the idiot. You mentioned no-trade clauses...the Marlins don't offer them. They made that clear. Perhaps you should blame the players for being stupid. Why would the organization not offer NTC's? Probably because they want the leverage of trading players if they feel like it. There was no lie about that.

I wonder what his excuse will be when we trade Stanton.

He hasn't given any excuses.

Did I say he gave any excuses so far?

If he trades Stanton, he sure as hell will make a shit load of dumb excuses. One of them will be that he didn't want to be here.

No, he'll probably say that he feels like the team will be better off just like he's done so far. That would be a reason. It might be a reason you disagree with (and quite frankly, I'll probably disagree with it too, especially if the return sucks), but it'll still be a reason.

He's already got two ready to go

1 - No one is coming to ballpark, can't afford

2 - We have Yelich, Marisnick, Ozuna, Ruggiano, Silverio/Solarzano as our longterm outfielders. He isn't needed.

They should just trade him for a 3B (none in organization), 2B/SS (Hechavarria, Dietrich and Romero are not sure things), and two top SP prospects (need more, there will be injuries) right now and be done with it. Olt, Profar, Perez, Grimm. It's so easy.

I would actually respect Loria on a baseball level if he did that as there is a rational argument to simply move him to fill the immense longterm holes in the infield and get more young starters (alternatively, signing him for 7 and dealing with the glut of outfielders later is also a 'good' plan). The problem is DOING NOTHING wastes Stanton's value for the franchise in any scenario. They can maximize an arbitration buyout BEFORE he is set for arbitration, or trade him for the largest package BEFORE he makes $10 milllion a year. This is why he is horrible. There is no vision with this front office. They don't understand how to construct a team. Likewise the business level, where signing Stanton would be a boom of confidence and a first step at trying to improve fan image, or likewise trading him when your popularity cannot get any lower and becoming the prospect darlings of MLB. If you're not going to sign him, and by all indications from Loria last few days they aren't, finish what you started. Doing nothing is the only bad decision. Of course it's the one they plan on taking!

The worst. I will not set foot in that stadium for a Marlins game until he is gone or completely restores my confidence. I suspect I'm not going to Marlins games for years. I hope that place is empty and if you go, buy tickets off the secondary market to not give him another dime.

My guess is that Loria didn't say "buy a house bro" when Reyes mentioned house hunting to Loria. Instead, Loria didn't say shit about buying a house at all and Reyes took that as he's not being traded so buy a house. Its not difficult so see this happening. Loria still sucks though.

Or maybe he gave him some advice and Reyes took it as encouragement to buy a house. This is all most likely a big misunderstanding, though.

I agree. Loria is a guy that most definitely sucks.

2 - We have Yelich, Marisnick, Ozuna, Ruggiano, Silverio/Solarzano as our longterm outfielders. He isn't needed.

They should just trade him for a 3B (none in organization), 2B/SS (Hechavarria, Dietrich and Romero are not sure things), and two top SP prospects (need more, there will be injuries) right now and be done with it. Olt, Profar, Perez, Grimm. It's so easy.

I would actually respect Loria on a baseball level if he did that as there is a rational argument to simply move him to fill the immense longterm holes in the infield and get more young starters (alternatively, signing him for 7 and dealing with the glut of outfielders later is also a 'good' plan). The problem is DOING NOTHING wastes Stanton's value for the franchise in any scenario. They can maximize an arbitration buyout BEFORE he is set for arbitration, or trade him for the largest package BEFORE he makes $10 milllion a year. This is why he is horrible. There is no vision with this front office. They don't understand how to construct a team. Likewise the business level, where signing Stanton would be a boom of confidence and a first step at trying to improve fan image, or likewise trading him when your popularity cannot get any lower and becoming the prospect darlings of MLB. If you're not going to sign him, and by all indications from Loria last few days they aren't, finish what you started. Doing nothing is the only bad decision. Of course it's the one they plan on taking!

The worst. I will not set foot in that stadium for a Marlins game until he is gone or completely restores my confidence. I suspect I'm not going to Marlins games for years. I hope that place is empty and if you go, buy tickets off the secondary market to not give him another dime.

I think he just needs to open his wallet and sign Stanton. From there, let the baseball people you have make all the decisions. Granted, they may suck. We really don't know because Loria has been so involved. But you haven't fired them, so let them run the baseball team.

He hasn't given any excuses.

Did I say he gave any excuses so far?

If he trades Stanton, he sure as hell will make a shit load of dumb excuses. One of them will be that he didn't want to be here.

No, he'll probably say that he feels like the team will be better off just like he's done so far. That would be a reason. It might be a reason you disagree with (and quite frankly, I'll probably disagree with it too, especially if the return sucks), but it'll still be a reason.

If he trades Stanton, I will definitely put him in the category a lot of others have: the one that says he doesn't give a shit about the fanbase and just cares about making as much money as he can for his own good. There is absolutely no way you can justify trading Mike Stanton unless the return is something we're probably not going to get. Outside of names like Profar and the other tip top of the MLB-ready prospect class, there's no possible return good enough to trade the only name on the team. I already don't know how they're going to market the team this year. But at least with Stanton, they have something. Without him, what do they have from a marketing standpoint?

Trading him now (or pretty much any time before his arbi years are up) makes absolutely zero business sense.

I agree with this.

This is the thing I hate most about this organization right now.

A special player on the roster and nothing is being done either way. It makes no sense to wait a year to make a decision on this.

Honestly, I think trading him would bring his popularity even lower. A lot lower. Yes, most fans already dislike him. Yes, some players have already said they don't trust him (based pretty much on what Buehrle and Reyes have said). If he trades Stanton, the kind of player that doesn't come along very often, you get rid of the only name this team has. Yes, if they get Profar/Olt, I have no doubt those guys will turn into household names. Eventually. But for the next 1-2 years, where does that leave this franchise? Totally unmarketable (without Stanton, who's jersey is in local sports apparel shops' windows? Who is on billboards? Who is the fan favorite?), very likely cellar dwellers, and you re-affirm the point that no one's job is safe, no matter how well you play, when you play for the Marlins.

I do agree with one point though: doing nothing makes the least sense of all.

I mean I suppose it's possible that he wants Stanton to play a season with the new kids and then work on a deal next offseason or something. It's stupid in all kinds of wonderful ways not the least of which is he'd waste money but I suppose if he makes some back this season maybe he'll feel better and shell it out. The payroll will only be going further down next year anyway.

Doubt this is what'll happen but slim chance maybe...

I kinda always figured either it happens this Feb/March or not at all.

I mean I suppose it's possible that he wants Stanton to play a season with the new kids and then work on a deal next offseason or something. It's stupid and he'd waste money but I suppose if he makes some back this season maybe he'll feel better and shell it out. The payroll will only be going further down next year anyway.

No one will go to the stadium this year for games (I doubt they even sell out Opening Day) and he will sight that as a reason for not spending money next year. We've seen this song and dance before. It's not going to change.

Loria will trade Stanton when he has to pay him.

Doesn't have to pay him this year.

In the offseason, Marlins will have a better idea which "prospects" are working out and which are not.

Marlins will have plenty of room to pay Stanton his $10M in 2014 or make the trade before next season begins. They might have to take a big salary like Stanton's in 2014 to make the union happy.

Loria doesn't care about saving money by locking up Stanton long term because Loria has no intention of signing Stanton to a long term deal.

And Stanton probably wouldn't sign anyway.

If they do trade him they'll lose a big part of that 1st generation and 2nd generation of fans, but I agree, sign or trade..the sooner the better from the financial point of view of the franchise. It does make Stanton a more valuable asset though if he's under contract. I suspect that Loria knows or has been advised on this money matter and if there's one thing we can be pretty sure about when it comes to Loria and big money, it's that we can trust Loria to do what's in his best interest. And Stanton is a big asset. The return he'd bring is unmatched in the free agent era. I'm hopeful that Stanton has advisors who place his best financial interest ahead of their own, as it's also in Stanton's best interest to sign a fair deal. It's just a matter of the 2 sides negotiating something fair for both. Then insure it and play ball.

I'm not reading too much into what Loria said about waiting a year. Seems like a bad bet to believe that he's telling the truth. His talk of Stanton needing a year...please...if anything it's Loria that needs a year to recover from the shell-shock of those lofty expectations of "the hottest seat in town" being dashed.

The story on the local news is that Loria cut the press conference short

That's exactly why I linked to the yahoo story earlier this afternoon. Granted the reporters pushed his buttons w/ the conjob question, but they have every right to ask the question about the fanbase and trust.

wow so it was cut short, okay, why call one if you're not ready for the heat? hand picked reporters and all.

Every local sports reporter basically was there. How is that hand picked?

He didn't cut it short, his PR guy did if you watch the footage. He was ready for another question.

You know, back to the Reyes thing, both sides you know are covering something up you know because you know neither one has quoted Reyes as you know saying "you know" at least you know a dozen times in the conversation you know between him and Loria, you know?

This post looks like a scripted Michael Frolik interview.

Funny how Stanton alone can bring a greater return than 1/2 a roster we sent to Toronto.

That's because a couple of those guys were signed to some pretty bad contracts. Stanton is cheap right now.

I guess I dont get how they could have possibly lost money last year. They made close to $70 million before a single ticket was sold from revenue sharing and TV deals.

I've said this before, but...

I'm not sure they actually lost money. Maybe, just not sure. But I do think they are looking at it as they predicted x attendance, got far below that, and figure that is lost money.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.