Austin Kearns

Well from the sounds of it it looks like Austin Kearns is making the team which I really dont agree with at this point.

Manager Mike Redmond said Austin Kearns' slow start this spring -- he's gone 2-for-21 with one run, three walks and nine strikeouts in seven games this spring -- isn't something worth being overly concerned about at this point.

"He's a veteran guy, a veteran player, a veteran bat off the bench," Redmond said. "We know that, number one, he's used to hitting off the bench, which is tough for young guys to do. It's not easy to take a young guy who's used to playing every single day and getting consistent at-bats and put him on the bench in the big leagues and ask him to pinch-hit every 3-4 days, maybe get a start once a week, maybe not. That's tough."

Right now I also think Kotchman and Kouzamanoff deserve to make the team.

Wouldn't be the first time this organization has kept a veteran player that appeared to have no value

Kearns had a decent OPS for a bench guy (.733) last year. I don't think the can be compared to mr. professional, Sir Wesley Helms and his .513 OPS just yet.

Sorta related: Kearns got shafted in the 2002 rookie of the year vote. He was a 3.9 WAR player with a .907 OPS that year. The winner (Jason Jennings) was 2.6 WAR with an ERA of 4.5 (he did hit .306 so maybe that's why).

I agree regarding Kouz, this guy has come out and had a great spring to try and earn that third base job. Kotchman is a great option but I like the way Mahoney is swinging the bat and Red seems to love his potential in the middle of the order. I think he's looking more for replacing that production lost from LoMo, and I can't say I disagree...

I agree regarding Kouz, this guy has come out and had a great spring to try and earn that third base job. Kotchman is a great option but I like the way Mahoney is swinging the bat and Red seems to love his potential in the middle of the order. I think he's looking more for replacing that production lost from LoMo, and I can't say I disagree...

i like mahoney too but he has really only hit 3 home runs. kotchman has been more consistent.

i like mahoney too but he has really only hit 3 home runs. kotchman has been more consistent.

Casey Kotchman also has a consistent major league track record of offensive mediocrity that isn't going to change. Mahoney was named the Orioles top offensive prospect just two years ago and somehow is no longer with the organization with little to no chances to perform in the major leagues. IMO this team isn't about the more proven players, it's about finding out who can contribute in the future. I just don't see Kotchman in our future, and with Mahoney you just never know.

Now, this doesn't mean if Kotchman gets the job I would be upset. I think his defense at first would normally be an outstanding reason to overlook his shortcomings at the plate. HOWEVER, on a team like this with virtually zero offensive potential, I think adding the sheer optimism that comes with Mahoney's bat is almost necessary.

Casey Kotchman also has a consistent major league track record of offensive mediocrity that isn't going to change. Mahoney was named the Orioles top offensive prospect just two years ago and somehow is no longer with the organization with little to no chances to perform in the major leagues. IMO this team isn't about the more proven players, it's about finding out who can contribute in the future. I just don't see Kotchman in our future, and with Mahoney you just never know.

Now, this doesn't mean if Kotchman gets the job I would be upset. I think his defense at first would normally be an outstanding reason to overlook his shortcomings at the plate. HOWEVER, on a team like this with virtually zero offensive potential, I think adding the sheer optimism that comes with Mahoney's bat is almost necessary.

Really well said. Nice.

Yes, I understand your point but you also don't know the Kotchman you will be getting. Will you get the Tampa Bay Kotchman or the Seattle Kotchman. If he can muster up what he did in Tampa then were really talking.

Yes, I understand your point but you also don't know the Kotchman you will be getting. Will you get the Tampa Bay Kotchman or the Seattle Kotchman. If he can muster up what he did in Tampa then were really talking.

Chances are we're getting the Cleveland Kotchman, who was extremely mediocre. At least Mahoney offers some potential.

Again, I wouldn't be upset with either decision because I understand both arguments and I really don't severely disagree with choosing Kotchman... I would just lean toward picking Mahoney.