Post game MIA @ WAS 4-1-2013

The 2006 Marlins had Josh Willingham hitting clean-up. The 2013 Marlins have Placido Polanco.

I like being optimistic as much as anyone about this organization but I have to agree with El Penguino.

This team has no where near the offensive ability of the team in 06 with guys like Hanley, Uggla, Ross, Willingham, Jacobs, Cabrera.

Besides Giancarlo I don't expect anyone on this team to exceed 20 HR's or 80 RBI's. (Maybe Brantley)

Also the rotation at this point since we don't have Eovaldi, Alverez or Turner, was a lot more promising with younger talent.

I wish this team could produce magical moments like the 2006 team but I just don't see it happening unless Morrison can get healthy and come back strong, Brantley has a standout season and Yelich comes up and goes on a tear.

The 2006 Marlins had Josh Willingham hitting clean-up. The 2013 Marlins have Placido Polanco.

Exactly. Cabrera and Stanton pretty much fill the same role, except Cabrera was better than Stanton. But pretty much everywhere else, position by position, 2006 was hands down better, and on that team there was potential upside at every position, even if we couldn't have guessed that some of the hitters would be as good as they were. There is no untapped potential with this offense.

Guest Guest

I find it funny how former Marlins "fans" who "quit" being a fan of the team due to the firesale continue to pay attention to the team. If you quit being a fan, that's fine but act like it. Seen several of them already on Twitter and Facebook. They endlessly feel the need to remind you how they are no longer a fan and why you shouldn't be one either.

Offensive f*ckery. At least there were no errors. Let's see if the offense does anything tomorrow before judging it on one game against a freak

Any team that wins one game vs. Haren, Gonzalez and Strasburg should consider themselves lucky.

Any team that loses those games and goes on to play the Mets can also consider themselves lucky.

Guest Guest

and who was Josh Willingham at that time except a young player with potential? Polanco won't remain the cleanup hitter if he isn't producing. Someone else will move into it until we find a player that can run with it. Eventually Yelich will come up and put a big change into the lineup. We could see Ruggiano move to 3rd and Stanton 4th or Yelich mixed in there somewhere. Who knows? I don't know, you don't know. Nobody does. We didn't expect the 2006 team to do what it did either.

Guest Guest

Oh, you mean THE Josh Willingham?

Josh Willingham, and all 28 of his previous MLB games in two combined seasons before he was the "Clean up Hitter" for a team full of prospects?

The Josh Willingham who had one career HR before batting cleanup in 2006?

You know, the Josh Willingham who had 58 Plate apperances before 2006.

I mean the Willingham who absolutely destroyed minor league pitching in 2004 and 2005 to the point where people on this board were begging that the Marlins call him up. Unless you weren't a Marlins fan then, you should have remembered that he was regarded as having quite a bit of upside--particularly in his power and plate discipline--leading into the 2006 season.

That level of upside is not present in washed up guys like Polanco and Pierre or players with a long history of mediocrity like Kotchman, Coghlan, and Solano. Or guys like Hecchavarria who haven't hit at any level.

Guest Guest

and who was Josh Willingham at that time except a young player with potential? Polanco won't remain the cleanup hitter if he isn't producing. Someone else will move into it until we find a player that can run with it. We didn't expect the 2006 team to do what it did either.

My point is that the 2006 hitters had much more potential/upside than the 2013 hitters do. That's why 2013 will be nothing like 2006.

I actually anticipated decent production from guys like Willingham and Uggla because they crushed the minor leagues and just didn't have much of an opportunity to play in the big leagues yet.

and who was Josh Willingham at that time except a young player with potential? Polanco won't remain the cleanup hitter if he isn't producing. Someone else will move into it until we find a player that can run with it. We didn't expect the 2006 team to do what it did either.

I think what he's trying to say is that the team in 06 was a bunch of young guys with potential rather than this years team which is filled with players who are passed their prime or haven't been successful in the past. Instead of players like Ramirez, Hermida, Uggla, Jacobs, Willingham we have Kotchman, Polanco, Pierre, Solano, Ruggiano.

I agree that this team can surprise a lot of people but I don't expect a year like 2006.

Josh Willingham, and all 28 of his previous MLB games in two combined seasons before he was the "Clean up Hitter" for a team full of prospects?

I mean the Willingham who absolutely destroyed minor league pitching in 2004 and 2005 to the point where people on this board were begging that the Marlins call him up. Unless you weren't a Marlins fan then, you should have remembered that he was regarded as having quite a bit of upside--particularly in his power and plate discipline--leading into the 2006 season.

That level of upside is not present in washed up guys like Polanco and Pierre or players with a long history of mediocrity like Kotchman, Coghlan, and Solano. Or guys like Hecchavarria who haven't hit at any level.

Yeah Bro,

I get you-

Minor League numbers mean everything-

You know, when they serve your purpose.

Doom and Gloom. I get you.

Guest Guest

I think what he's trying to say is that the team in 06 was a bunch of young guys with potential rather than this years team which is filled with players who are passed their prime or haven't been successful in the past. Instead of players like Ramirez, Hermida, Uggla, Jacobs, Willingham we have Kotchman, Polanco, Pierre, Solano, Ruggiano.

I agree that this team can surprise a lot of people but I don't expect a year like 2006.

Pretty much.

It's pretty ignorant actually to think the level of offensive upside for the 2013 line-up is even close to what it was in 2006.

Guest Guest

Yeah Bro,

I get you-

Minor League numbers mean everything-

You know, when they serve your purpose.

Doom and Gloom. I get you.

If not minor league measures, what do you use to measure the possible upside of young players?

If you think that the 2013 team will surprise us, that means that you think that it has some upside.

My point is that the 2006 hitters had much more potential/upside than the 2013 hitters do. That's why 2013 will be nothing like 2006.

I actually anticipated decent production from guys like Willingham and Uggla because they crushed the minor leagues and just didn't have much of an opportunity to play in the big leagues yet.

The Diamondbacks are on line one. They want to know who of Alberto Callapso, Andy Green, Robby Hammock and Tony Clark they should have DFA'd to make room for the disenfranchised Uggla.

You speak of Uggla and Willingham as if they were slaves being held back by the man. The truth is neither took their "opportunity" by the balls and ran with it.

I don't remember many arguing for Uggla when Pokey Reese was the projected second baseman.

No minor league numbers don't mean everything but if players don't succeed in the minors there's almost 0% chance they produce in the Bigs.

Josh Hamilton.

Career .291 hitter in the minors and was hitting .350 before getting called up in 07.

Guest Guest

The Diamondbacks are on line one. They want to know who of Alberto Callapso, Andy Green, Robby Hammock and Tony Clark they should have DFA'd to make room for the disenfranchised Uggla.

You speak of Uggla and Willingham as if they were slaves being held back by the man. The truth is neither took their "opportunity" by the balls and ran with it.

I don't remember many arguing for Uggla when Pokey Reese was the projected second baseman.

You are aware that those guys you mention put up pretty solid numbers of their respective levels, right? Even at the time the Diamondbacks basically said that they didn't want to get rid of Uggla but they simply had no choice.

As for Reese, if the Marlins actually thought that he had more upside than Uggla, just mark it down as another one of their bone-headed decisions. Uggla's minor league numbers absolutely trumps what Reese did in 2003 and 2004--Reese didn't even play in the big leagues in 2005.

As for Willingham, he was absolutely destroying the minors in 2004 and 2005. He was clearly ready for a prolonged MLB stint, especially since the offense in those years was pretty anemic at times (especially 2005). I'd say that Willingham absolutely was held back by the man.

If you think that the 2013 team will surprise us, that means that you think that it has some upside.

What I believe is that you have an over inflated ego, who believes you projected everything that happened when you simply use hindsight as the basis of your argument.

The 2013 team has the same upside the 2006 team did at this point. More even. The 2006 team didn't have a starting rotation like this 2013 could have (if healthy).

Do you sincerely believe the 2006 starting rotation had more upside than this years (Injuries aside)

Brian Moehler

Dontrelle Willis

Scott Olsen

Ricky Nolasco

Sergio Mitre

over

Ricky Nolasco

Jose Fernandez

Nathan Eovaldi

Henderson Alvarez

Kevin Slowey

Guest Guest

No minor league numbers don't mean everything but if players don't succeed in the minors there's almost 0% chance they produce in the Bigs.

Josh Hamilton.

Is this a joke? First of all, his numbers were fine for low level minors. And secondly, don't you think it's pretty idiotic to say that minor league numbers mean little and then use a heroin addict as your best example?

Seriously.

Pretty much.

It's pretty ignorant actually to think the level of offensive upside for the 2013 line-up is even close to what it was in 2006.

If theres one thing you should recognize, it's ignorance.

It's like a hooker finding a John.