Post game MIA @ WAS 4-1-2013

No minor league numbers don't mean everything but if players don't succeed in the minors there's almost 0% chance they produce in the Bigs.

Josh Hamilton.

Career .291 hitter in the minors and was hitting .350 before getting called up in 07.

I'm sorry, I thought snorting your entire minor league career counted as failure.

Allow me:

Dave Winfield

If you think that the 2013 team will surprise us, that means that you think that it has some upside.

What I believe is that you have an over inflated ego, who believes you projected everything that happened when you simply use hindsight as the basis of your argument.

The 2013 team has the same upside the 2006 team did at this point. More even. The 2006 team didn't have a starting rotation like this 2013 could have (if healthy).

Do you sincerely believe the 2006 starting rotation had more upside than this years (Injuries aside)

Brian Moehler

Dontrelle Willis

Scott Olsen

Ricky Nolasco

Sergio Mitre

over

Ricky Nolasco

Jose Fernandez

Nathan Eovaldi

Henderson Alvarez

Kevin Slowey

Injuries aside then JJ would be over Mitre.

I would take Willis over Nolasco, Fernandez or Mohler, Eovaldi over Olsen, J.J. over Alverez and 05' Nolasco over 13' Slowey.

Guest Guest

If you think that the 2013 team will surprise us, that means that you think that it has some upside.

What I believe is that you have an over inflated ego, who believes you projected everything that happened when you simply use hindsight as the basis of your argument.

The 2013 team has the same upside the 2006 team did at this point. More even. The 2006 team didn't have a starting rotation like this 2013 could have (if healthy).

Do you sincerely believe the 2006 starting rotation had more upside than this years (Injuries aside)

Brian Moehler

Dontrelle Willis

Scott Olsen

Ricky Nolasco

Sergio Mitre

over

Ricky Nolasco

Jose Fernandez

Nathan Eovaldi

Henderson Alvarez

Kevin Slowey

This makes no sense. First of all, Eovaldi and Alvarez aren't even in the rotation right now and their returns are indefinite. Why do you list them as being with the 2013 group and then neglect to list Josh Johnson and Anibal Sanchez?

If Eovaldi and Alvarez are out for a long time (they could be, they have severe injuries), I'd definitely expect that rotation not to match what the 2006 team did.

The 2006 Marlins had Josh Willingham hitting clean-up. The 2013 Marlins have Placido Polanco.

and who was Josh Willingham at that time except a young player with potential? Polanco won't remain the cleanup hitter if he isn't producing. Someone else will move into it until we find a player that can run with it. We didn't expect the 2006 team to do what it did either.

My point is that the 2006 hitters had much more potential/upside than the 2013 hitters do. That's why 2013 will be nothing like 2006.

I actually anticipated decent production from guys like Willingham and Uggla because they crushed the minor leagues and just didn't have much of an opportunity to play in the big leagues yet.

The Diamondbacks are on line one. They want to know who of Alberto Callapso, Andy Green, Robby Hammock and Tony Clark they should have DFA'd to make room for the disenfranchised Uggla.

You speak of Uggla and Willingham as if they were slaves being held back by the man. The truth is neither took their "opportunity" by the balls and ran with it.

I don't remember many arguing for Uggla when Pokey Reese was the projected second baseman.

You are aware that those guys you mention put up pretty solid numbers of their respective levels, right? Even at the time the Diamondbacks basically said that they didn't want to get rid of Uggla but they simply had no choice.

As for Reese, if the Marlins actually thought that he had more upside than Uggla, just mark it down as another one of their bone-headed decisions. Uggla's minor league numbers absolutely trumps what Reese did in 2003 and 2004--Reese didn't even play in the big leagues in 2005.

As for Willingham, he was absolutely destroying the minors in 2004 and 2005. He was clearly ready for a prolonged MLB stint, especially since the offense in those years was pretty anemic at times (especially 2005). I'd say that Willingham absolutely was held back by the man.

The choice was made to keep those players on the 40 man roster over a minor league they "Had no choice" in giving up.

Your starting to remind me of the 2003 Pirates Rule 5 Draft.

No minor league numbers don't mean everything but if players don't succeed in the minors there's almost 0% chance they produce in the Bigs.

Josh Hamilton.

Is this a joke? First of all, his numbers were fine for low level minors. And secondly, don't you think it's pretty idiotic to say that minor league numbers mean little and then use a heroin addict as your best example?

Seriously.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I addressed the end of his statement.

The jokes on you.

Brian Moehler

Dontrelle Willis

Scott Olsen

Ricky Nolasco

Sergio Mitre

over

Ricky Nolasco

Jose Fernandez

Nathan Eovaldi

Henderson Alvarez

Kevin Slowey

Injuries aside then JJ would be over Mitre.

I would take Willis over Nolasco, Fernandez or Mohler, Eovaldi over Olsen, J.J. over Alverez and 05' Nolasco over 13' Slowey.

JJ was in the bullpen. He wasn't in the rotation on opening day or the month of April.

Guest Guest

The choice was made to keep those players on the 40 man roster over a minor league they "Had no choice" in giving up.

Your starting to remind me of the 2003 Pirates Rule 5 Draft.

Yes, because, as I said, those players were performing at the time. Sometimes teams look at a pool of talent where everyone is doing well and parts ways with the wrong guy. That's what the Marlins did in 2003 when they got rid of Gonzalez instead of Stokes.

This doesn't mean that the Diamondbacks didn't see upside/potential in Uggla at the time.

I find it funny how former Marlins "fans" who "quit" being a fan of the team due to the firesale continue to pay attention to the team. If you quit being a fan, that's fine but act like it. Seen several of them already on Twitter and Facebook. They endlessly feel the need to remind you how they are no longer a fan and why you shouldn't be one either.

I find the stockholm syndrome-y defense of the Marlins just as funny...

but I don't think anyone who's still active on this board, regardless of their negativity, wouldn't consider themselves a Marlins fan still.

Guest Guest

Josh Hamilton.

Is this a joke? First of all, his numbers were fine for low level minors. And secondly, don't you think it's pretty idiotic to say that minor league numbers mean little and then use a heroin addict as your best example?

Seriously.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I addressed the end of his statement.

The jokes on you.

I knew that's what you were addressing. Your example still makes no sense.

Guest Guest

JJ was in the bullpen. He wasn't in the rotation on opening day or the month of April.

What difference does that make? Alvarez and Eovaldi aren't even technically on the 25 man roster right now and won't pitch a game in April.

The point was that the 2006 team had Johnson and Anibal available and those guys ultimately contributed to the team's relative success. It makes no difference whether or not they were in the rotation on opening day.

Guest Guest

Josh Hamilton.

Career .291 hitter in the minors and was hitting .350 before getting called up in 07.

I'm sorry, I thought snorting your entire minor league career counted as failure.

Allow me:

Dave Winfield

I think you are misinterpreting what his statement said. He's talking about players who completely sucked in the minors and thus were failures. He maybe could have worded it better, but that's clearly what he was saying.

Piazza, are you trying to say that this years team will be better than the 06 team or that they have the potential to be better?

All I'm saying is they have potential. I have the hope they can be, but I know the potential is there.

From the sounds of this board, you'd swear the Marlins were fielding the Oblongs and a 60 MPH pitching machine every night.

What difference does that make? Alvarez and Eovaldi aren't even technically on the 25 man roster right now and won't pitch a game in April.

The point was that the 2006 team had Johnson and Anibal available and those guys ultimately contributed to the team's relative success. It makes no difference whether or not they were in the rotation on opening day.

Keep trollin bro, its obvious you can't read.

I think things will look more bright for our offense with Morrison, Yelich, and Ruggiano starting. That's assuming everything goes well, of course. The lineup will have more potential with young starters in it like Yelich, Stanton, Morrison and Brantly. Ruggiano over Coghlan, as well.

Troll hard, Penguino-

Troll Hard.

Whatever you have to do to avoid having to respond to my arguments, I guess.

Your arguments are laughable.

If I wanted to continue arguing with a mental midget, I'd visit LD classes in Baltimore.

The entire basis of your arguments is to disect the most mundane fact and attack that rather than the issue at hand. JJ was in the pen in 2006, which validates my latest point about the 2006/2013 rotations potentials.

Your biggest asset is the ability to use hindsight to hide your own incompetence. Your akin to the guy at the bar who says "I know, I know" after every point made by the bartender.

Pull up to the bar, put on your big boy pants- and in the interest of full disclosure don't twist what you once believed to make you seem like your a savant of baseball, with your "Previous projections that were correct".

Many here wonder what I have against you, and it's just that- your ability to be blind to what ever previous statements you made and to contradict them whenever it suits you. Your inability to look at argument as a whole rather then the minute parts that you'll inevitably pick apart to discredit that point.

And yes, I put THEN on purpose rather then THAN. Stay focused Penguin Man.

My belief, my sincere belief- is that you are that mental midget. That lonely gentleman at the end of the bar that may have charisma but trips all over himself when he opens his mouth. That guy who gets passed up for every promotion at work, not because you are incompetent; but because you refuse to listen. That your tone deaf to not only directions, but to objective criticism as well.

You may have something between your ears, but until you tone down your incessant need to argue every little detail many on this board will continue to tune you out.

If you believe I'm an ass, than that is on you. I do not go about my life looking to meet others expectations. I've been trained to not only observe, but to also listen and diagnose. All my training and education points to your personality being one that is hellbent in stubbornness and pettiness. You may be different in person, you may even be loved by a handful of people in person- but I'm sure to a man they will all call you a stubborn mule who needs to be right. One who can get emotional and violent if his point is not heard, and refuses to listen to the objectivity in others views in his daily life.

That's just my psychological profile of you, I'm sure your employer's isn't that far off.

Piazza, are you trying to say that this years team will be better than the 06 team or that they have the potential to be better?

All I'm saying is they have potential. I have the hope they can be, but I know the potential is there.

From the sounds of this board, you'd swear the Marlins were fielding the Oblongs and a 60 MPH pitching machine every night.

The team we put out their tonight isn't one I expect to put up big numbers but if we can get LoMo healthy and in the lineup along with Yellich by the the All Star Break then they could start something special.

I like the potential lineup of Yellich, Polanco, Stanton, Morrison, Brantly, Ruggiano, Solano, Echeveria.

The rotation is really what worries me. Turner has been awful recently and has ways to go, Eovaldi and Alverez will be coming back from shoulder injuries, hopefully stronger than before and we don't know what we will get from Nolasco, Fernandez and Leblanc.

Overall, can I see this team flip a switch at some point? Yes. Do I think they can win 75-83 games? It's possible. Do I expect them to be contenders? Of course not.

I'm just hoping for a year of memorable moments and taking steps forward to a find a formula to win games for years to come.

I find it funny how former Marlins "fans" who "quit" being a fan of the team due to the firesale continue to pay attention to the team. If you quit being a fan, that's fine but act like it. Seen several of them already on Twitter and Facebook. They endlessly feel the need to remind you how they are no longer a fan and why you shouldn't be one either.

I find the stockholm syndrome-y defense of the Marlins just as funny...

but I don't think anyone who's still active on this board, regardless of their negativity, wouldn't consider themselves a Marlins fan still.

I love you so much right now. Stockholm Syndrome is the perfect description.

Troll hard, Penguino-

Troll Hard.

Whatever you have to do to avoid having to respond to my arguments, I guess.Your arguments are laughable.

If I wanted to continue arguing with a mental midget, I'd visit LD classes in Baltimore.

The entire basis of your arguments is to disect the most mundane fact and attack that rather than the issue at hand. JJ was in the pen in 2006, which validates my latest point about the 2006/2013 rotations potentials.

Your biggest asset is the ability to use hindsight to hide your own incompetence. Your akin to the guy at the bar who says "I know, I know" after every point made by the bartender.

Pull up to the bar, put on your big boy pants- and in the interest of full disclosure don't twist what you once believed to make you seem like your a savant of baseball, with your "Previous projections that were correct".

Many here wonder what I have against you, and it's just that- your ability to be blind to what ever previous statements you made and to contradict them whenever it suits you. Your inability to look at argument as a whole rather then the minute parts that you'll inevitably pick apart to discredit that point.

And yes, I put THEN on purpose rather then THAN. Stay focused Penguin Man.

My belief, my sincere belief- is that you are that mental midget. That lonely gentleman at the end of the bar that may have charisma but trips all over himself when he opens his mouth. That guy who gets passed up for every promotion at work, not because you are incompetent; but because you refuse to listen. That your tone deaf to not only directions, but to objective criticism as well.

You may have something between your ears, but until you tone down your incessant need to argue every little detail many on this board will continue to tune you out.

If you believe I'm an ass, than that is on you. I do not go about my life looking to meet others expectations. I've been trained to not only observe, but to also listen and diagnose. All my training and education points to your personality being one that is hellbent in stubbornness and pettiness. You may be different in person, you may even be loved by a handful of people in person- but I'm sure to a man they will all call you a stubborn mule who needs to be right. One who can get emotional and violent if his point is not heard, and refuses to listen to the objectivity in others views in his daily life.

That's just my psychological profile of you, I'm sure your employer's isn't that far off.

This is fucking insane. Get over it.

I quit on this team's ownership and I will not do anything that will contribute a single penny until something in the upper management changes. I'm not here to root against anyone or taunt anyone who is still in 100 percent. I'm not emotionally involved in any of the games anymore, but I will admit that I am "intrigued" to see what actually happens on the field, even if it is comedically bad, which in all likelihood it will be.

I quit on this team's ownership and I will not do anything that will contribute a single penny until something in the upper management changes. I'm not here to root against anyone or taunt anyone who is still in 100 percent. I'm not emotionally involved in any of the games anymore, but I will admit that I am "intrigued" to see what actually happens on the field, even if it is comedically bad, which in all likelihood it will be.

^^^ This describes me. You nailed it. Thanks. I'm too exhausted to be emotionally invested with the Lorias. He hijacked my childhood team. I tried for years to stay the course out of some f--ked up obligation to be loyal and defend my precious underdogs. And there were/are players I have enjoyed and tuned in for, as well as Rich and Tommy. Now, though, I'm not rooting for them. Not rooting against them, either. I just...don't care. I won't let this ruin baseball for me, though. I feel FREE. In a way, I almost hope they lose enough games to trade Stanton because I truly feel he deserves so much better. As a fan you don't want to see someone like him miserable on your team, even if he's the only saving grace on the team -- especially if he's the only saving grace. It's not fair for him. I hope you guys find peace this year.