Marlins Select Colin Moran

canada-marlin24

Surprised no one has brought this up yet... but when Selig announced Moran as our pick, didn't anyone else notice the Toronto and Detroit representatives high-fiving in the background?

I didn't see that. Maybe it's because they didn't want the Red Sox getting him?

This.

Surprised no one has brought this up yet... but when Selig announced Moran as our pick, didn't anyone else notice the Toronto and Detroit representatives high-fiving in the background?

I didn't see that. Maybe it's because they didn't want the Red Sox getting him?

It was a joke... the Marlins eventually trade all their stars to the Tigers or the Blue Jays.

And in fact Moran's brother Brian is at AAA with Seattle and is a relief with some pretty damn good numbers.

He has 49 strikeouts in 30.1 innings this year. 303 strikeouts in 255.2 innings in his career with a 2.89 ERA.

sounds like a closer.

This cardinals fan is very upset by this news - I believe he was advocating for Brian Moran .... but his intentions are a bit dubious

I don't think Bryant is as good as advertised. In Cape Cod summer league where they use wooden bats, Moran led the league in RBI. This year he leads all of NCAA in RBI. Conversely, Kris Bsryant performance at Cape Cod was deplorable.

I agree, I'll take the pure hitter over the power hitter every time... I would have rather taken Moran even with Bryant on the board. Bryant reminds me a lot of Richie Sexson, actually, minus a few inches. But Moran looks a lot like the next Todd Helton.

Todd Helton > Richie Sexson

With the new bats they use in college, I've heard announcers say guys with 6 homeruns have solid power. For Moran to hit 13 is actually pretty good. The 31 by Bryant is just freakish.

True... I really believe wood has a bigger sweet spot. I have seen the new bbcor break when hit. Btw there is no way Moran is 6"3. Dude looks like a Mark Kotsay size wise. Swing looks like Kotsays also. I hope I'm wrong but don't see much more then a line drive hitter. That's fine for a 2B but I want my corners to rake!

With the new bats they use in college, I've heard announcers say guys with 6 homeruns have solid power. For Moran to hit 13 is actually pretty good. The 31 by Bryant is just freakish.

True... I really believe wood has a bigger sweet spot. I have seen the new bbcor break when hit. Btw there is no way Moran is 6"3. Dude looks like a Mark Kotsay size wise. Swing looks like Kotsays also. I hope I'm wrong but don't see much more then a line drive hitter. That's fine for a 2B but I want my corners to rake!

Who cares what positions they play? That's absurd... Our 2B is a power hitter.

I don't know why you would doubt Moran's height. I've watched his last few games,,,Looks 6'3" to me.

I hope he is the size he is listed as because I will be very disappinted if he is shorter then 6"3' and under 215 pounds because that is already small for a 3 rd basemen and if he's smaller then that we are in trouble.

Size doesn't matter. 6'3 is small for a third baseman? Really? David Wright, 6'0. Ryan Zimmerman, 6'3. Brooks Robinson, one of the best third basemen ever, 6'1. Mike Schmidt, same as Robinson, 6'2. Adrian Beltre, 5'11. I could go on and on and on with this.

By your logic, Stanton should play third cause he's 6'6 250.

I hope he is the size he is listed as because I will be very disappinted if he is shorter then 6"3' and under 215 pounds because that is already small for a 3 rd basemen and if he's smaller then that we are in trouble.

Must you make every other post about size? It makes me want to ban you just out of annoyance.

Just for fun, I looked those guys up. 1390 S Dixie Hwy. That's about 10 miles due south of me.

I'd place an order, but they seem to be out of business for some reason. Can't imagine why. Maybe A-Rod can fill me in.

Beefcake forever! At all positions! Like Baby Hanley. That worked out well, didn't it?

If

If we had a 3rd baseman with Mark Kotsay like ability now we would be loving it...Kotsay was a stud!

I love how the board went from hating '...' to hating Somethingfishy in a matter of days.

Hmm. I'll have to object -- my points about financial reality are unsuccessfully disputed by the various inveterate Loria-haters. I can live with their blindness to financial reality. They hate him, regardless of the facts. So it goes.

Fishy's (perhaps serious) silly garbage about beefcakiness or the alleged virtues of semi-useless or mediocre players is universally derided and laughed at.

Two different things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.