Ricky Nolasco traded to Dodgers

WEDNESDAY, 10:59pm: The Marlins are surprisingly open to eating some of Nolasco's contract, but only if the prospect return is significantly better than alternative deals, tweets Jim Bowden of ESPN.com. Meanwhile, the Padres continue to have talks with the Marlins on multiple players, including Nolasco, but nothing is close or imminent, a source tells Bowden

They wouldn't trade Lee for Hanley or JJ, they're not trading him for Nolasco.

Also not getting Seager. He's way too good of a prospect to be given up for Nolasco. He's a piece for a much bigger trade.

Stripling seems most realistic.

WEDNESDAY, 10:59pm: The Marlins are surprisingly open to eating some of Nolasco's contract, but only if the prospect return is significantly better than alternative deals, tweets Jim Bowden of ESPN.com. Meanwhile, the Padres continue to have talks with the Marlins on multiple players, including Nolasco, but nothing is close or imminent, a source tells Bowden

well if true that's good to hear they're at least open to it.

They wouldn't trade Lee for Hanley or JJ, they're not trading him for Nolasco.

Also not getting Seager. He's way too good of a prospect to be given up for Nolasco. He's a piece for a much bigger trade.

Stripling seems most realistic.

You're not keeping in mind how much money was owed to Hanley, especially in comparison to his performance...

At the same time, Nolasco isn't JJ or Hanley. I don't think you're keeping that in mind, either.

If the Fish are willing to bite some salary and trade Nolasco plus a couple others, maybe we can get one of those guys you're talking about.

I understand, also, why you'd want Seager - he has good offensive numbers and is playing shortstop, BUT, he's got no range and stone hands / bad accuracy with throwing, one of those two. His defense would make Spike say Solano is a gold glover. Basically, what I'm saying is, Seager would have to move to another position due to his defense, and the only other place we'd have a POSSIBLE need for him when he's ready to be called up would be behind the plate. Outfield is stacked, third would be covered (hopefully) by Moran, second by Dietrich/Barnes, first by LoMo or Yelich/Stanton. Catcher could be Dietrich/Barnes/Realmuto. So, either his defense would have to magically improve dramatically overnight, or I don't see Seager as someone we'd honestly need/want.

At the same time, Nolasco isn't JJ or Hanley. I don't think you're keeping that in mind, either.

If the Fish are willing to bite some salary and trade Nolasco plus a couple others, maybe we can get one of those guys you're talking about.

Nolasco is one of the best starters on the market, though. He is also every bit as good this year as JJ was last year. The good thing about Ricky is teams know they're buying a rental that WILL be pitching the entire season and WILL be pitching through the post season, where JJ could break down at a moments notice. Not to mention that his value HAS to be considerably higher to the West teams with the way he has pitched out there...

Random thought: would you trade Cishek (slide Ramos to closer) if it meant netting a better prospect(s)?

Not if you think this team can compete by 2015. If you don't think that's possible, and/or it could net you an A prospect, then maybe. But it would have to be an A-rated prospect, not just "better prospect(s)".

Nolasco is one of the best starters on the market, though. He is also every bit as good this year as JJ was last year. The good thing about Ricky is teams know they're buying a rental that WILL be pitching the entire season and WILL be pitching through the post season, where JJ could break down at a moments notice. Not to mention that his value HAS to be considerably higher to the West teams with the way he has pitched out there...

If it does end up happening that Loria actually opens up his wallet and pays part of Nolasco's salary, then yeah, we can get a better haul, especially if we throw in, say, a Ryan Webb or someone like that. I stand on my stance of Seager, though, really don't need him.

I'm also not sure why you'd want Pederson, another outfielder. Lee and Stripling I can understand, being pitchers, but our outfield depth chart is incredibly deep.

What about the Rockies, Diamondbacks, Padres, and Giants? Why haven't we talked about their prospects and possibilities? Someone mentioned a Giants one, but don't remember who - all I've seen for the most part are Dodger specs.

Random thought: would you trade Cishek (slide Ramos to closer) if it meant netting a better prospect(s)?

Not if you think this team can compete by 2015. If you don't think that's possible, and/or it could net you an A prospect, then maybe. But it would have to be an A-rated prospect, not just "better prospect(s)".

I agree with this - if we're going to throw someone from our bullpen into a trade, make it Webb, Dunn, and Qualls.

Since you're saying 2015, we've got eight [nine, if we do end up with the #1 overall pick next year and get Rodon (Rodon would be 2016 to be safe)] potential starters by then, 3 [or 4 if Rodon] can go to the bullpen. 2015 possible starting pitchers - Fernandez, Turner, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Flynn, Nicolino, Heaney, DeSclafani (Rodon). Say we don't get Rodon, OK, that's fine. 3 of those 8 can move to the bullpen. If Rodon, move 4 of those to the pen. The bullpen then fills out with Cishek, Ramos, and Wittgren [assuming he can keep those numbers up]. If no Rodon, then throw in one other bullpen guy, maybe Jennings or some other lefty.

Think about that, choose any five from Fernandez, Turner, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Flynn, Nicolino, Heaney, and DeSclafani to make your rotation, then move the other three to the bullpen. It would be a very cheap and potentially highly effect bullpen.

My thoughts - rotation (in no order) of Fernandez, Turner, Heaney, Nicolino, and then a toss-up between Alvarez and DeSclafani [probably the latter], then the other three, bullpen. Eovaldi could be a great 7th/8th inning guy, I think.

Are the trade candidates for this coming Deadline

The Marlins do have trade candidates this summer aside from Stanton, including Ricky Nolasco, Placido Polanco, Greg Dobbs, Juan Pierre, Jeff Mathis, Chad Qualls, Ryan Webb, Kevin Slowey, Steve Cishek, and Mike Dunn.

The only players they should keep are Cishek and Dunn. Ramos does have good stuff but he can get in trouble especially when he begins to walk batters.

I wanna see what Brian Flynn can do, hopefully sometime this year. Also, would it be too far fetched if Heaney could be called up in September if he continues to progress?

Looks like LA won the Ricky "sweepstakes". Deal could be done as soon as today.

@MLBNetworkRadio: .@Jim_Duquette hearing from 2 high level execs involved w/ the talks that #Marlins SP Ricky Nolasco to the #Dodgers, maybe as soon as today

Hmm. Interesting. Wonder what the return is now!

I understand, also, why you'd want Seager - he has good offensive numbers and is playing shortstop, BUT, he's got no range and stone hands / bad accuracy with throwing, one of those two. His defense would make Spike say Solano is a gold glover. Basically, what I'm saying is, Seager would have to move to another position due to his defense, and the only other place we'd have a POSSIBLE need for him when he's ready to be called up would be behind the plate. Outfield is stacked, third would be covered (hopefully) by Moran, second by Dietrich/Barnes, first by LoMo or Yelich/Stanton. Catcher could be Dietrich/Barnes/Realmuto. So, either his defense would have to magically improve dramatically overnight, or I don't see Seager as someone we'd honestly need/want.

http://www.faketeams.com/2013/6/25/4460212/prospect-preview-corey-seager-top-50-prospect-fantasy-shortstop-third-base-los-angeles-dodgers

Doesn't sound like stone hands to me