Beinfest, Fleming fired

gizmo

Bottom-line was that Beinfest wanted Miller and wanted Maybin and Detroit said yes, at that time no one thought Maybin would be a bust and that Miller would struggle as he did...he actually was pitching pretty well out of the bullpen for the Red sox until he got injured . It seems like his potential will never come to fruition. At the time I heard very little complaint about the trade in this forum.

If my memory serves me Beinfest was reportedly requesting Kershaw from the Dodgers at that time and his name went off the table

BTW it was a CF The Marlins were trying to get at the time to be more specific

I didn't expect Maybin and Miller to be the busts that they were, but at the time I felt that the Marlins should have tried harder to deal with one of the LA teams--particularly the Dodgers. I think that they had great talent that was far less risky to acquire.

It sounds like the Marlins couldn't work out a deal with the Dodgers because they wanted more than Kemp and Kershaw.

Bottom-line was that Beinfest wanted Miller and wanted Maybin and Detroit said yes, at that time no one thought Maybin would be a bust and that Miller would struggle as he did...he actually was pitching pretty well out of the bullpen for the Red sox until he got injured . It seems like his potential will never come to fruition. At the time I heard very little complaint about the trade in this forum.

If my memory serves me Beinfest was reportedly requesting Kershaw from the Dodgers at that time and his name went off the table

I didn't expect Maybin and Miller to be the busts that they were, but at the time I felt that the Marlins should have tried harder to deal with one of the LA teams--particularly the Dodgers. I think that they had great talent that was far less risky to acquire.

It sounds like the Marlins couldn't work out a deal with the Dodgers because they wanted more than Kemp and Kershaw.

I don't have proof on hand, but I think they also wanted Ethier and Billingsley.

We were also offered Justin Verlander and Curtis Granderson after Dontrelle's '05 season [just for Dontrelle]. But, again, hindsight, 20/20.

I've said this many times in the past, but there is no reason on earth to turn down that trade proposal at the time it was made (if it indeed was made).

Not even close to being a hindsight 20/20 scenario.

Thats true. The only reason I can think for not making that trade is because Dontrelle was so popular here, but you want your GM to make the best baseball move.

If Miggy were still here, he would:

1- Be making $25MM a year

2- Be pushing 300 lbs

3- Be hitting maybe .280

4- Be a part time 1B, and

5- Be untradeable

Cancer is often fatal.

LB did what he had to do, and Maybin & LHP just didn't pan out.

Such is life.

Nothing you said is accurate.agree with marlin2266. Miggy would not be the player he is if he'd stayed in miami. The lousy and sparse crowds would've caused him to lose interest. He never would have matured here and dedicated himself to make the most of his God-given talents here.

If Miggy were still here, he would:

1- Be making $25MM a year

2- Be pushing 300 lbs

3- Be hitting maybe .280

4- Be a part time 1B, and

5- Be untradeable

Cancer is often fatal.

LB did what he had to do, and Maybin & LHP just didn't pan out.

Such is life.

Nothing you said is accurate.agree with marlin2266. Miggy would not be the player he is if he'd stayed in miami. The lousy and sparse crowds would've caused him to lose interest. He never would have matured here and dedicated himself to make the most of his God-given talents here.

That's not surprising considering you're a troll.

I don't have proof on hand, but I think they also wanted Ethier and Billingsley.

I want to say the Dodger trade offered was...

Loney, LaRoche, Ethier, Billingsly, Nobody

But the one Beinfest demanded was...

Kemp, Kershaw, LaRoche, Loney

And I think the Dodgers were willing to do the above trade with several different combinations of 3 of those players, but would not include Kemp AND Kershaw together, only one.

Well, Mathis is being credited as a big part of our pitching staff's development - and for all we know it could've been a bluff on Beinfest's part. Remember that Anthropolous had a hard time giving him up as well. Also, people always rave about AA's skill as a GM, but Beinfest probably won that trade. I don't think Beinfest was terrible.

I dont think there were any winners in that trade. Hechavarria is awful in almost every way and isnt some young man(he turns 26 or 27 this year IIRC). Henderson Alvarez is a 5th starter. Marisnick is all tools and yet to put them together for any length of time. They failed to get either D'Arnaud or Syndergaard. Jeff Mathis is a backup catcher. The other prospects are irrelevant.

The only positive of that trade is that it freed up money, but when you realize Loria has no interest in actually re-investing the savings, even that is not much of a win in and of itself.

Well, Mathis is being credited as a big part of our pitching staff's development - and for all we know it could've been a bluff on Beinfest's part. Remember that Anthropolous had a hard time giving him up as well. Also, people always rave about AA's skill as a GM, but Beinfest probably won that trade. I don't think Beinfest was terrible.

I dont think there were any winners in that trade. Hechavarria is awful in almost every way and isnt some young man(he turns 26 or 27 this year IIRC). Henderson Alvarez is a 5th starter. Marisnick is all tools and yet to put them together for any length of time. They failed to get either D'Arnaud or Syndergaard. Jeff Mathis is a backup catcher. The other prospects are irrelevant.

The only positive of that trade is that it freed up money, but when you realize Loria has no interest in actually re-investing the savings, even that is not much of a win in and of itself.

Marisnick actually has had it together for his whole minor league career excluding the 2012 season. And he's been rushed. Hechavarria is 24 years old, not 26 or 27. Henderson Alvarez is a 5th starter with potential to be more - but every team still needs a 5th starter.

You also forgot that we received Justin Nicolino and Anthony DeSclafani (our MiLB pitcher of the year,) and those two show significant promise. I don't see how you can say that they're irrelevant...

You do know that one of the "other prospects" is a top 100 prospect and one of the best LHP prospects in the game, and the other was literally just names our Organizational Pitcher of the Year... right? And Marisnick was expected to take time. The three best players in that trade haven't been able to make any impact yet.

Henderson Alvarez after coming back from injury has pitched extremely well. He has locked down a spot in the rotation for 2014

I don't believe that anyone will be able to keep Mathis from being our opening day catcher unless Brantley has a huge comeback

Nicholino and Marisnick should start factoring in by the end of next season. I will say Beinfest did his job with that trade

Henderson Alvarez after coming back from injury has pitched extremely well. He has locked down a spot in the rotation for 2014

I don't believe that anyone will be able to keep Mathis from being our opening day catcher unless Brantley has a huge comeback

Nicholino and Marisnick should start factoring in by the end of next season. I will say Beinfest did his job with that trade

I REALLY hope you're wrong.

There really isn't anything out there available right now n the F/A market...wanna bring back Olivo or a 35+ y/o catcher

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/potential-free-agents-for-2014/

Catchers

Rod Barajas

Henry Blanco

John Buck

Jesus Flores

Ramon Hernandez

Gerald Laird

Brian McCann

Jose Molina

Dioner Navarro

Wil Nieves

Miguel Olivo

Ronny Paulino

Brayan Pena

A.J. Pierzynski

Humberto Quintero

Carlos Ruiz

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Kelly Shoppach

Chris Snyder

Geovany Soto

Kurt Suzuki *

Yorvit Torrealba

because they are not gonna sign McCann

There really isn't anything out there available right now n the F/A market...wanna bring back Olivo or a 35+ y/o catcher

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/potential-free-agents-for-2014/

Catchers

Rod Barajas

Henry Blanco

John Buck

Jesus Flores

Ramon Hernandez

Gerald Laird

Brian McCann

Jose Molina

Dioner Navarro

Wil Nieves

Miguel Olivo

Ronny Paulino

Brayan Pena

A.J. Pierzynski

Humberto Quintero

Carlos Ruiz

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Kelly Shoppach

Chris Snyder

Geovany Soto

Kurt Suzuki *

Yorvit Torrealba

because they are not gonna sign McCann

A lot of those guys are very signable, and I would take a large number of them over what we have.

My realistic choices (McCann not being realistic) would be Carlos Ruiz or Brayan Pena...