Jennings named GM, Hill named President

Guest Guest

Good enough response for me. I get what he meant though, Jennings was almost for sure gonna just be an extension of Lorias ridiculous methods. With Hill we might, "might" get something better than that. Maybe not but its definitely a slightly more positive outlook than the sock puppet Jennings.

He said he "liked Hill" but then said he admitted he new nothing about him. That sounds pretty silly to me.

Also, it's silly to think that Hill will have any more control over the FO than Beinfest did. Loria fired Beinfest because he wouldn't play ball.

So you like Hill because you know nothing about him?

Sounds logical.

Well, I like Hill from what I know. As someone already mentioned, a Harvard grad who may be willing to use advanced metrics and statistics to make decisions. But none of us really have any idea of his philosophy. I like the idea of uncertainty better than the certain direction Jennings would have taken the franchise.

I don't see why you can think that he likes statistics just because he went to Harvard. Every interview I've seen with him points to the opposite being the case.

Also, I thought that you don't even like statistics? At least your posts here reflect that. Why would you want a GM who relies on them?

Sounds logical.

Well, I like Hill from what I know. As someone already mentioned, a Harvard grad who may be willing to use advanced metrics and statistics to make decisions. But none of us really have any idea of his philosophy. I like the idea of uncertainty better than the certain direction Jennings would have taken the franchise.

I don't see why you can think that he likes statistics just because he went to Harvard. Every interview I've seen with him points to the opposite being the case.

Also, I thought that you don't even like statistics? At least your posts here reflect that. Why would you want a GM who relies on them?

I was repeating a post made previously by someone else regarding Harvard and statistics and felt it was a good point.

I don't want a GM that relies on statistics, after all these gentlemen are PAID to rely on their opinions, not stats. ANYBODY can make a decision based completely on stats, and if a team could be run that way any of us could have that job. But I would like one that does acknowledge them and use them when making some decisions.

What will Hill's role be in comparison to now?

What will Jennings role be expanded to in comparison to now?

Does anyone see any real significance change in personnel approach?

Hill becomes Beinfest.

Jennings becomes Hill.

If there wasn't going to be a change the shakeup probably never would have happened...

Hill becomes Beinfest.

Jennings becomes Hill.

If there wasn't going to be a change the shakeup probably never would have happened...U forgot ... becomes Jennings.

Someone has to take that vacated spot.

Hill becomes Beinfest.

Jennings becomes Hill.

If there wasn't going to be a change the shakeup probably never would have happened...U forgot ... becomes Jennings.

Well, since Samson wasn't fire I think ... will accept.

Sounds logical.

I was repeating a post made previously by someone else regarding Harvard and statistics and felt it was a good point.

I don't want a GM that relies on statistics, after all these gentlemen are PAID to rely on their opinions, not stats. ANYBODY can make a decision based completely on stats, and if a team could be run that way any of us could have that job. But I would like one that does acknowledge them and use them when making some decisions.

How is that a good point? Being a Harvard grad doesn't automatically mean that he's a stat guy.

And, you are splitting hairs on the word "reliance" there. After maybe BroncoBob you have been one of the most anti-stat people here. Everything you post goes against conventional advanced metrics wisdom. It seems hypocritical for you to want someone who at least gives sabermetrics a fair amount of consideration.

Sounds logical.

How is that a good point? Being a Harvard grad doesn't automatically mean that he's a stat guy.

And, you are splitting hairs on the word "reliance" there. After maybe BroncoBob you have been one of the most anti-stat people here. Everything you post goes against conventional advanced metrics wisdom. It seems hypocritical for you to want someone who at least gives sabermetrics a fair amount of consideration.

He's using a point I made. I didn't say that he'd be a stat guy because he went to Harvard, but rather that a college education could have taught him enough to understand that seeing with your eyes isn't always reliable - moreso than someone who (I believe) moved up the chain as a scout in the oldschool who essentially relies on his eyes for everything.

Sounds logical.

Well, I myself like to use stats to assist in my evaluation, but I don't rely on them to form my entire opinion of a player. I guess I just hope a general manager would use that same ideal. But not giving sabermetrics a fair amount of consideration would be ignorant. To ignore the statistics that are helping the game evolve would be very short sighted for someone whose job is to use every advantage to make player personnel decisions...

Sounds logical.

You think this actually changes things? That's ridiculous. Hill has been here for years.

Good enough response for me. I get what he meant though, Jennings was almost for sure gonna just be an extension of Lorias ridiculous methods. With Hill we might, "might" get something better than that. Maybe not but its definitely a slightly more positive outlook than the sock puppet Jennings.

How does anyone know anything about anyone involved in the front office? For all we know, Hill is another Loria yes man. This is all speculation and it's all likely the same crap considering that Hill has been here for years.

Our owner, president and GM is Jeffrey Loria. He is our everything.

Yes it was worded silly but I got his point. And while I don't think Loria will give much freedom to Hill I still think Hill > Jennings, but that might just be me.

Why though? Hill was already the team's GM before all of this happened today.

How does anyone know anything about anyone involved in the front office? For all we know, Hill is another Loria yes man. This is all speculation and it's all likely the same crap considering that Hill has been here for years.

Not to say that I have sources like squall, but I work very closely with a spouse of a Marlins FO member. He told me Beinfest and Hill were very close, and they were considered the baseball braintrust. Hill is supposedly very like-minded with Beinfest... Just what I heard, not that it's worth much.

Not to say that I have sources like squall, but I work very closely with a spouse of a Marlins FO member. He told me Beinfest and Hill were very close, and they were considered the baseball braintrust. Hill is supposedly very like-minded with Beinfest... Just what I heard, not that it's worth much.

Ok.

Even if that's the case, we sucked with Beinfest so why would it change with Hill? If Loria couldn't care less about what Beinfest had to say, why would he care about what Hill has to say?

These guys are just here because Loria can't become name himself for every role in the front office.

Nothing changed today.

Ok.

Even if that's the case, we sucked with Beinfest so why would it change with Hill? If Loria couldn't care less about what Beinfest had to say, why would he care about what Hill has to say?

These guys are just here because Loria can't become name himself for every role in the front office.

Nothing changed today.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

Just glad Hill got the job, maybe something positive happens instead of certainly nothing positive happens.

Hill becomes Beinfest.

Jennings becomes Hill.

Stan Meek or Marty Scott becomes Jennings

Nice to see Hill get Beinfest's job and not Jennings... this means Hill, not Jennings, will be running the show (until Loria overides him).

Yeah that's not the case at all. Hill has little clout here. Jennings seems to be Loria's new guy. The actual titles don't matter.

I mean look at Samson, technically he should be above the rest of them, but clearly that's not true.

Nice to see Hill get Beinfest's job and not Jennings... this means Hill, not Jennings, will be running the show (until Loria overides him).

Yeah that's not the case at all. Hill has little clout here. Jennings seems to be Loria's new guy. The actual titles don't matter.

I mean look at Samson, technically he should be above the rest of them, but clearly that's not true.Actually, again back to my convo with a FO spouse I work with (for what it's worth), Samson is the "money man". He handles the financial aspects of the franchise, payroll, advertising, etc. and has little or nothing to do with baseball operations, which I was told Beinfest and Hill ran together.