Henderson Alvarez throws 5th no-hitter in Marlins History

Didn't someone say something earlier about him not even being in the rotation next year? There goes that.

I did say there'd be a possibility he could be in the bullpen in the future, but not necessarily 2014.

Who knows, though? I can't predict the future.

I still say the same about Eovaldi, but he looked better last couple times out. We shall see.

Didn't someone say something earlier about him not even being in the rotation next year? There goes that.

I did say there'd be a possibility he could be in the bullpen in the future, but not necessarily 2014.

I still say the same about Eovaldi, but he looked better last couple times out. We shall see.

Eovaldi and Alvarez have been OK this season. Jacob Turner is the one who sucked.

Yeah, I don't have much faith in Turner right now, either. Again, don't trade with Detroit anymore. :|

Wouldn't surprise me if Turner starts next season in AAA again, but then again, who else do we have?

Fernandez, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Turner, Koehler/Flynn ... Heaney at some point, maybe Nicolino? IDK.

But, whatever. Alvarez pitched a no-hitter!

Everybody hates on Alvarez and Eovaldi because they don't strike out a batter per inning... but when you can be good without K's it can make you more efficient, and that's also valuable considering when you're efficient you're usually pitching deeper into games. I have talked about Eovaldi and Alvarez having great stuff and been ripped because they don't K people like Jose does... but you don't need to K everyone to be good. Glad to see Alvarez show that today.

Yeah, I don't have much faith in Turner right now, either. Again, don't trade with Detroit anymore. :|

Wouldn't surprise me if Turner starts next season in AAA again, but then again, who else do we have?

Fernandez, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Turner, Koehler/Flynn ... Heaney at some point, maybe Nicolino? IDK.

But, whatever. Alvarez pitched a no-hitter!

I think you can sign someone to give Turner time. He's still young so it wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I would be VERY surprised to see that.

I looks like the front four next year are locked: Fernandez, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Turner.

The #5 spot could be any of Flynn, Conley, Heaney, Nicolino, or DeSclafani. And I wouldn't be upset with anyone of those guys winning the job out of ST. One or two of them will run away with it, and from there it will be a tough decision. My guess is Conley and Flynn get the longest look, they have had the most success and IP at the higher levels between the 5 of them...

Everybody hates on Alvarez and Eovaldi because they don't strike out a batter per inning... but when you can be good without K's it can make you more efficient, and that's also valuable considering when you're efficient you're usually pitching deeper into games. I have talked about Eovaldi and Alvarez having great stuff and been ripped because they don't K people like Jose does... but you don't need to K everyone to be good. Glad to see Alvarez show that today.

We're not hating, just being realistic. Eovaldi got hit around pretty hard, as did Alvarez, even on the outs they got. It's not about the K/9, it's about the efficiency of the pitches they DO throw. Alvarez doesn't walk people and they say, "he has good control" - they don't mention he leaves a lot of balls up in the zone. Eovaldi usually does not control his secondary stuff very well, making him a one-pitch pitcher. Lately, he has been better.

Again, I can't predict the future, and I'd love to see them pitch well enough to be mainstays in the rotation.

I looks like the front four next year are locked: Fernandez, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Turner.

The #5 spot could be any of Flynn, Conley, Heaney, Nicolino, or DeSclafani. And I wouldn't be upset with anyone of those guys winning the job out of ST. One or two of them will run away with it, and from there it will be a tough decision. My guess is Conley and Flynn get the longest look, they have had the most success and IP at the higher levels between the 5 of them...

Turner proved this year in Spring Training that he wasn't a lock for the rotation, and he proved as the season progressed that he's not a lock for the rotation next year. He needs more time in the minors. He had a stretch where he struck out one and walked TWELVE over 15.2 innings. He walked 54 batters in 118 innings this year, that's pretty bad. He could probably get away with that if he had better stuff [like an Eovaldi-esque fastball] or Alvarez' "control," but he doesn't have either. He's 22, it really won't surprise me to see him in AAA next year again to start off. He needs to get things fixed, and fast.

Turner proved this year in Spring Training that he wasn't a lock for the rotation, and he proved as the season progressed that he's not a lock for the rotation next year. He needs more time in the minors. He had a stretch where he struck out one and walked TWELVE over 15.2 innings. He walked 54 batters in 118 innings this year, that's pretty bad. He could probably get away with that if he had better stuff [like an Eovaldi-esque fastball] or Alvarez' "control," but he doesn't have either. He's 22, it really won't surprise me to see him in AAA next year again to start off. He needs to get things fixed, and fast.

Well, again, I would be very surprised to see him leave ST next year without a rotation spot... but as you pointed out, we said that this year. One thing that he also has going against him is that this year there were little alternatives, but next year, there's A LOT of big arms that are almost ready.

Turner needs to show something special in ST

I see it this way:

The Marlins found their Ace: Jose Fernandez

The rest of the rotation appears to be right now still taking shape

Eovaldi & Alvarez are locks right now

Koehler is the fallback guy but he could also take a spot in the Bullpen

Heaney, Flynn and Turner will be given every chance to make the rotation

Turner has Ace stuff but he just implodes too often

I really believe Heaney will make the rotation in ST

Marlins would love to have a Southpaw in the rotation

They may just want to give the lefties some more seasoning

In that case Koehler will be the 5th starter again

You may see Hand, Sanabia or somebody(F/A) get a rotation spot,

best case scenario would be Turner winning it outright

I see it this way:

Turner does not have ace stuff.

Change the name of this game thread to "Henderson Alvarez throws 5th no-hitter in Marlins History". Calling this simply the 9/29 postgame seems way too generic for a game like this.

Also, Admin, time to put the game thread into the Hall of Fame section.

Change the name of this game thread to "Henderson Alvarez throws 5th no-hitter in Marlins History". Calling this simply the 9/29 postgame seems way too generic for a game like this.

Also, Admin, time to put the game thread into the Hall of Fame section.

Done and done. I did the HOF enshrinement a little different for now. I put a link in the HOF instead of moving the thread so that the thread remains the newest in the GT forum. Next year, I'll fully enshrine it.

I see it this way:

I don't think Heaney makes the rotation out of ST unless a similar situation happens next year where some random injuries before the season force that to happen the way it did with Jose. There are other guys that can fill that role that have a bit more experience, like Flynn or Conley. So if Turner fails to lock down a spot again or something, I could see it happening. But if there's only one spot I don't think he can pull it off...

I see it this way:

Turner does not have ace stuff.

Well not this season for sure! When the Marlins traded for him that appeared to be his projection, He actually lost velocity this season but he still has very good stuff...but you are right he didn't show Ace stuff this season. He actually became very hittable

I finally get to see a Marlins no-no – and wouldn't you know it, I was in attendance! :clapping

Very nice.

Beetle! I sooooo envy you That had to be awesome out there!

It was special, that's for sure. Back in 06 I made big fuss about missing Anibal's no-no (I was on a plane); and I wasn't in Florida for the other 3. So, I'm glad to finally put this feather in my cap.

Good crowd too. They were really into it.