Zack Cox

Wild Card

I don't get this whole "figure it out" thing. There's nothing for Cox to figure out. He is what he is. He's been the same type of hitter since he first entered the minors. He a below average fielder who has zero power but gets on base at a decent clip. Unless he somehow gains some power he's likely a career backup at the major league level. I do think Cox serves some value off the bench, but he doesn't stand out enough as an OBP guy to be a full time starter.

But be can't fail to realize an ability he does not possess.

he does possess it though, he just hasn't found a way to "unlock it" yet.

He has zero potential.

i was joking with this notion that all that's missing is some magic word.

6 Fs

Or maybe he needs Monsterdong. The Giancarlo Stanton home run drink.

He has zero potential.

That's why he was a first round draft pick, right?

If he didn't have potential he wouldn't have a job, AT ALL. You just made that comment about someone that is going to likely compete for a starting position on the major league roster next season, and will likely see 100-300 major league ab's next season. And I don't have any crazy notions or delusions that Zack Cox is a great ballplayer, but I'm not ignorant enough to say he has "Zero Potential" either.

Well, you're not wrong, but realistically - he's 24 now, will be 25 a month into the season. It's unlikely he'll get any better than he is now. However, he is better than any other option that is currently ready, which really says a lot.

He'll be a very cheap stopgap for Moran, at least. Most likely wouldn't be too productive, but at least we won't have to go out of the organization and pay an aged veteran over a million to provide nothing but "veteran leadership" or a "professional at bat." Not that I really want Cox up and playing full time, but, eh.

He has zero potential.

If he didn't have potential he wouldn't have a job, AT ALL. You just made that comment about someone that is going to likely compete for a starting position on the major league roster next season, and will likely see 100-300 major league ab's next season. And I don't have any crazy notions or delusions that Zack Cox is a great ballplayer, but I'm not ignorant enough to say he has "Zero Potential" either.

Most players in the minor leagues don't have potential to be solid big league players. I thought everyone knew that.

He has zero potential.

Most players in the minor leagues don't have potential to be solid big league players. I thought everyone knew that.

Let's put it this way. x = potential.

Mr. Card believes x > 0. That's all.

He has zero potential.

Bender's equation is precisely correct.

If most players in the minors had no potential to be a big league player, they wouldn't be professional baseball players. I would venture to say that a large percentage of major league ballplayers were never highly thought of prospects. Many average minor league players make it to the majors based on consistent mediocrity (Jordan Brown, Chris Valaika, Gil Velazquez, etc are perfect examples of this) simply because they're consistent, not necessarily because they're very talented baseball players brimming with potential. I thought everyone knew that.

You are talking about something else now. People like Jordan Brown make the majors, yes, but only by other circumstances. Not merit or playing ability. That is, when Jeffrey Loria does something really dumb. Zack Cox is probably no worse than Jordan Brown, but that's not the point here. We are talking about players capable of actually making contributions. That's not any of the players you mentioned.

Zack Cox might very well make his major league debut next season but that doesn't mean that he figured it out or is exhibiting his potential. It simply means that Jeffrey Loria did something stupid. In no other universe would Ed Lucas be a starting third baseman, but in Loria's world he is.

What I'm saying is that Cox isn't a decent player and show's no potential of being one. It's pretty ignorant for you to keep grasping at the possibility that someone like him will suddenly "figure it out."

What I'm saying is that Cox isn't a decent player and show's no potential of being one. It's pretty ignorant for you to keep grasping at the possibility that someone like him will suddenly "figure it out."

Again, this is just not correct. First, he is a decent player, not a great player. He's actually like the definition of a decent player, he does a few things well, a few things average, a few things below average. Just decent.

Also, he does show potential to be a good ballplayer eventually. If he didn't have that potential, nobody would be talking about him... am I wrong? We wouldn't be having this conversation if people didn't think he had something. Scouts wouldn't be writing full page articles about him on mlb.com if he was nobody. He IS LITERALLY the kind of player you look at and say, "Man, I wish he could figure it out. He once set records in college, hit .429 and was considered the most pure hitter in the draft. If he could just tap that potential and take it to the next level, he could be a good ballplayer."

I can't believe you are so quick to dismiss someone because, at 24-years-old, he hasn't put it together. We are pretty spoiled to watch these 21-year-old kids perform like stars as often as we do in Miami, because that's not the norm. Perfect example is Josh Donaldson... Why don't you go look at his numbers between MiLB and MLB before this season, when he "figured it out" at age 27.

His numbers at his age don't correlate with those of a decent major league player. And his defense is poor. There's nothing for him to figure out. His skill set is not major league caliber.

Nobody talks about him really because most people know that he has no future with the team. You're one of the only people who hasn't figured that out yet. We're only having this conversation because you decided to create a thread on a really lousy player and pretend that he has potential.

His numbers at his age don't correlate with those of a decent major league player. And his defense is poor.

Neither did Josh Donaldson's. Why don't you just go look up the comparison? Or do you not know who that is? Because that's a guy who was an afterthought at third base, and never seemed to be able to take his potential and turn it into numbers until he was 27 years old. And he just posted an 8.0 WAR in 2013 at the MLB level without previously showing any, ANY statistical sign of that kind of production before this year at ANY level. Sometimes guys have this thing called potential that just doesn't show up in a box score, and one day, they live up to it. How about we stop dismissing people just because?

Donaldson was a catcher originally who they moved to third base, so your statement that he was "an afterthought" at third base is completely incorrect, considering he wasn't even a third baseman until 2012. He also wasn't too bad of a hitter in the minors - he had consistent power and hit for a good to decent average, for the most part [2010 he hit .238, still had an .812 OPS]. Also doesn't help that he was blocked by Kurt Suzuki at the time.

I'm not really sure what happened to Cox' power, since he had 22 homers for the Cardinals organization over 223 games, but with us - only 4 in 112 games - maybe it was the leagues he was in, I don't entirely know. He doesn't hit for average - .254 and .264 over the last two seasons. He doesn't play good defense - fielding percentage of .918 and an average range factor of 2.05 [and diminishing, I might add] - I don't know, looking deeper into these stats, Ed Lucas may be a better choice. He's good when he adjusts to the league and such. Honestly, a platoon of Lucas and Cox ... it'd be bad, but an idea.

Nobody is dismissing anyone "just because" - these players have been dismissed because of what we can put together factually about that player based on what HAS happened so far. Cox has had two straight seasons of not really showing anything worth getting excited about.