Sign in to follow this  
Michael

Ricky Nolasco traded to Dodgers

Maybe with the Os that'll matter. But if he goes to the NL West, which I have my money on, then that $6m is squat to either of those teams and won't have any influence on what we get back.

Interesting, look forward to seeing how it all ends up.

I think we'll see Loria's true intentions when he trades Nolasco. If it isn't about money but rather building a contender, he'll pay for a good amount of the salary in return for decent prospects.

I have no problem with Loria unloading the entire salary. That's what I was hoping he would do before the season began so that the Marlins wouldn't have to pay Nolasco anything.

I think we'll see Loria's true intentions when he trades Nolasco. If it isn't about money but rather building a contender, he'll pay for a good amount of the salary in return for decent prospects.

I have no problem with Loria unloading the entire salary. That's what I was hoping he would do before the season began so that the Marlins wouldn't have to pay Nolasco anything.At the expense of a better prospect?

I think it's a moot point now anyways. The market for Nolasco seems to be pretty big, especially for what he is. I think we'll get something good regardless.

Buster Olney reports Marlins are working to make a deal ASAP.

this dude says the Dodgers are "on blitzkrieg" to get Nolasco.

So far I think we've heard Orioles, Dodgers, Giants, Dbacks, Padres, and Rockies have all been mentioned.

Yet in all of these rumors I'm reading, no one is throwing out any names at all. It's like... what is Nolasco worth? Is it like a Cox type prospect and nothing else? Two of those? Something better?

I think we're beyond a Cox type prospect at this point. Apparently the entire NL West is fighting for Nolasco with the exception of AZ

I have no problem with Loria unloading the entire salary. That's what I was hoping he would do before the season began so that the Marlins wouldn't have to pay Nolasco anything.At the expense of a better prospect?

I think it's a moot point now anyways. The market for Nolasco seems to be pretty big, especially for what he is. I think we'll get something good regardless.

He can technically take money saved here and use it at some point later for an extension or free agent. These decisions of course do not happen in a vacuum, which is why I think it's a mistake to judge his intentions based on one move. As a possibility -- not saying this is necessarily likely -- saving $5 million on Ricky (rather than saving nothing) could be an impetus toward offering Stanton an extension this offseason.

I find that unlikely. Either way, the benefit of a better prospect would probably outweigh the benefit of what would be likely less than a third of a year of Stanton's (hypothetical) extension - that is, of course, if Loria's goal is to win rather than save money.

You are assuming that a potential trade partner would rather part ways with a significantly better prospect and save the money. These aren't small market teams the Marlins are dealing with.

I think you might be also overestimating Nolasco's return. I think that I'd rather see the Marlins save the $6 million for spending later than eat it for what I would expect to be a only marginally better prospect. And, of course, most of these mid-tier prospects are far from sure things.