Zack Cox

Wild Card

Cox's defense is suspect, prompting questions about whether he can be a long-term solution at third.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-02-09/sports/fl-miami-marlins-spring-players-0210-20130208_1_tampa-alonso-high-school-joe-mahoney-logan-morrison

Also, there's no way he puts up that line in MLB if given the chance. That OBP, in particular, is far too generous.

I mean, getting on base is his best asset... So not quite sure where this comes from. His walk rate this year was almost 12%.

Didn't you read what Erick said about the sustainability of his walk rate?

Furthermore, it's his best asset by default because he sucks at everything else. It might be his best asset in relative terms, but that doesn't mean that he would excel at it in the major leagues--especially when you consider that his walk rate was not sustainable this past season.

While we're on this subject, using sustainability as an argument is stupid if we're not discussing a player that's entering the end of his career. The only reason people do use this argument is for pure convenience. It's nice to be able to just ignore stats when it helps your argument because "it's not likely he can sustain that". Problem is those numbers happened and it's a fact, that's why old players keep getting stupid contracts. It wasn't likely that Mike Trout repeated his rookie year, it wasn't possible for Miguel Cabrera to better his numbers from that Triple Crown season, etc etc etc.

It's called improvement, players do generally get better with experience unless they're entering their mid-30's and physically declining. It is very likely Cox simply improved his patience at the plate and changed his approach for the better as he becomes more experienced...

It's called contextualizing the numbers--taking into account sample size and how the numbers deviate from past performance. Stuff that good statisticians do.

Cox technically did it over 88 games, not a full season.

Over the course of MANY seasons, yeah, it would be legitimate. This is one shorter season.

And again, his defense, terrible.

And over the course of many seasons, his slash line is .280/.342/.409/.751. Almost every at bat of 1300+ in AA or AAA ball. I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS.

We're going in circles here, my only argument is that he is not irrelevant and he is not terrible. This is a player that could very well have a long major league career, or could fizzle away. But he IS one of the few people in this world that is good enough to play major league baseball, and one of the very few in our own system that will ever wear a big league uniform.

All I want you, penguino, etc to acknowledge is that Zack Cox has potential. That's literally the only reason this debate has continued, because someone said he is "terrible" and has "zero potential" and that's just not the case. Nobody thinks he's the next Josh Donaldson, but he could be a productive major leaguer in some capacity at some point.

My opinion is that he will never be productive major league player and has no future in this organization. Thus, it was a waste of time for you to start this thread to begin with.

Cox technically did it over 88 games, not a full season.

Over the course of MANY seasons, yeah, it would be legitimate. This is one shorter season.

And again, his defense, terrible.

And over the course of many seasons, his slash line is .280/.342/.409/.751. Almost every at bat of 1300+ in AA or AAA ball. I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS.

We're going in circles here, my only argument is that he is not irrelevant and he is not terrible. This is a player that could very well have a long major league career, or could fizzle away. But he IS one of the few people in this world that is good enough to play major league baseball, and one of the very few in our own system that will ever wear a big league uniform.

All I want you, penguino, etc to acknowledge is that Zack Cox has potential. That's literally the only reason this debate has continued, because someone said he is "terrible" and has "zero potential" and that's just not the case. Nobody thinks he's the next Josh Donaldson, but he could be a productive major leaguer in some capacity at some point.

My opinion is that he will never be productive major league player and has no future in this organization. Thus, it was a waste of time for you to start this thread to begin with.

Good. You have your opinion and I have mine. We should keep this on record.

I'll be the guy saying "I told you so" after next season. Not that I've been keeping score, but each time I get attacked for having an unpopular opinion I haven't been off-base. If you're right, and he amounts to nothing, I'll eat crow.

Oh, yeah, cause we went 1-0 with Coghlan leading off AND playing third base, YOU WERE ON POINT WITH THAT ONE! 1.000 WINNING PERCENTAGE! PERFECT! DO IT EVERY DAY NEXT YEAR! 162-0!

*ahem* sorry. You won't eat the crow cause you won't admit to being wrong. Ever. You have this thing about "being right" or "winning" on the internet that is getting really irritating. You also claim to be right with SMALL sample sizes. You stated, "Yelich will be a spark plug." AFTER ONE GAME, you went into "I told you so" mode. One game.

Due to the more recent stats, which, YOU YOURSELF stated in the Cano thread that CURRENT SEASON HOLDS MORE WEIGHT, Cox has shown no reason for us to be excited about him.

El Penguino and I agreeing on things just doesn't happen, yet you make it a consistency. You may be on the long, destructive path to having him and Piazza31 agreeing on something, which will cause the world to come to an end. DO YOU WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE APOCALYPSE? DO YOU?!

Oh, yeah, cause we went 1-0 with Coghlan leading off AND playing third base, YOU WERE ON POINT WITH THAT ONE! 1.000 WINNING PERCENTAGE! PERFECT! DO IT EVERY DAY NEXT YEAR! 162-0!

*ahem* sorry. You won't eat the crow cause you won't admit to being wrong. Ever. You have this thing about "being right" or "winning" on the internet that is getting really irritating. You also claim to be right with SMALL sample sizes. You stated, "Yelich will be a spark plug." AFTER ONE GAME, you went into "I told you so" mode. One game.

Due to the more recent stats, which, YOU YOURSELF stated in the Cano thread that CURRENT SEASON HOLDS MORE WEIGHT, Cox has shown no reason for us to be excited about him.

El Penguino and I agreeing on things just doesn't happen, yet you make it a consistency. You may be on the long, destructive path to having him and Piazza31 agreeing on something, which will cause the world to come to an end. DO YOU WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE APOCALYPSE? DO YOU?!

By the end of the year, Coghlan had a better year than most would have anticipated and made himself kind of relevant again (at least as a utility player), and calling up Yelich when they did was obviously the right move. I also defended Eovaldi and Alvarez heavily despite their significant lack of strikeouts and that seemed to turn out OK as well.

Someone has to play devils advocate, right? If everyone around here agreed about everything what would be the fun in discussing these subjects? And If we didn't discuss an average prospect like Zack Cox in-depth, how could we get through October!?!?!?!?

By the end of the year, Coghlan had a better year than most would have anticipated and made himself kind of relevant again (at least as a utility player), and calling up Yelich when they did was obviously the right move. I also defended Eovaldi and Alvarez heavily despite their significant lack of strikeouts and that seemed to turn out OK as well.

Someone has to play devils advocate, right? If everyone around here agreed about everything what would be the fun in discussing these subjects? And If we didn't discuss an average prospect like Zack Cox in-depth, how could we get through October!?!?!?!?

Uh huh. Yup. Sure. Coghlan had a .532 OPS after he returned from his injury. He is extremely relevant.

Also, Cox is a well below average prospect. He's also terrible and has absolutely zero potential.

Someone has to play devils advocate, right? If everyone around here agreed about everything what would be the fun in discussing these subjects? And If we didn't discuss an average prospect like Zack Cox in-depth, how could we get through October!?!?!?!?Yes, Coghlan was great.

And you're the only Eovaldi/Alvarez believer on this board.

And Emilio Bonifacio is the next Luis Castillo.

Now please stop.

Someone has to play devils advocate, right? If everyone around here agreed about everything what would be the fun in discussing these subjects? And If we didn't discuss an average prospect like Zack Cox in-depth, how could we get through October!?!?!?!?Yes, Coghlan was great.

And you're the only Eovaldi/Alvarez believer on this board.

And Emilio Bonifacio is the next Luis Castillo.

Now please stop.

To be fair, I'm actually pretty high on Eovaldi going into next year...

It's hard to tell via interweb speak.

I'm a half-defender of Eovaldi. I've maintained that right now, he's better suited for the bullpen, but if he can get his off-speed stuff figured out, then he'll be good to go in the rotation.

He's also terrible and has absolutely zero potential.

You left out that he has worse range than Miguel Cabrera.

According to the stats, he does!

But I guess he has to pass the eye test, first.