2013/14 offseason signings/trades

Hotcorner

I don't see how. They get a solid third baseman and a reliever for an oft-injured outfielder and an unimpressive minor league outfielder.

Agreed, I figured Freese could be had pretty cheap and I was right. Probably confirms that the Marlins had zero interest in paying him, because they could have easily acquired him.

I don't see how. They get a solid third baseman and a reliever for an oft-injured outfielder and an unimpressive minor league outfielder.

Agreed, I figured Freese could be had pretty cheap and I was right. Probably confirms that the Marlins had zero interest in paying him, because they could have easily acquired him.

Actually, that was a terrible trade by the Angels.

Peter Bourjos has a good glove... woohoo...

Why do the Cards need Bourjos when they have Jon Jay, who is fine defensively and a much better hitter? And the Angels didn't really need him, either... What they did need was a third baseman, and desperately. I like the Angels here, but that's just me.

Why do the Cards need Bourjos when they have Jon Jay, who is fine defensively and a much better hitter? And the Angels didn't really need him, either... What they did need was a third baseman, and desperately. I like the Angels here, but that's just me.

Jon Jay is not fine defensively. Peter Bourjos is arguably the best defensive OF'er in baseball when healthy. Also, the Angels gave up an intriguing second player in the deal and only got Fernando Salas in return. It wasn't just Bourjos for Freese, straight up. Even if it had been a Bourjos/Freese swap one-for-one, it's still a win for the Cardinals.

Jon Jay is not fine defensively. Peter Bourjos is arguably the best defensive OF'er in baseball when healthy. Also, the Angels gave up an intriguing second player in the deal and only got Fernando Salas in return. It wasn't just Bourjos for Freese, straight up. Even if it had been a Bourjos/Freese swap one-for-one, it's still a win for the Cardinals.

I just feel adding Bourjos to subtract Jay is redundant, but the Angels filled a huge void.

I just feel adding Bourjos to subtract Jay is redundant, but the Angels filled a huge void.

It's possible that Jon Jay still gets playing time for them too. They're probably going to lose Carlos Beltran. The Cardinals are a smart team. They'll figure out platoons at 1B/OF where they get Bourjos/Jay/Craig/Adams sufficient playing time.

Now that I look closer at everything, and specifically Grichuk rather than just a glance ...

He's not too terrible. Decent power. Doesn't walk much, but seems to have decent-good range and somewhat of an arm.

Bourjos is definitely a plus on defense over Jay, again looking more closely at things. He's still young, he'll be 27 on opening day, he could probably get things going in St. Louis. One thing that confuses me with him is his lack of steals, but that could be due more to injury than anything.

Freese had a down year on offense, and moving to a much bigger, more pitcher-friendly park probably isn't the answer. We'll probably see him put up something between this year and last year as far as offense goes. Defensively, not good, but the Angels did need a bat over at third. Their third basemen in 2013:

PA    AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB  SO  BA  OBP  SLG  OPS  TB
651  585 66 144 23  2  8  67  2  5 48 108 .246 .304 .333 .637 195

**Question - do you guys think they DH Pujols for the year and put Trumbo at first, or put Trumbo out in left and keep Pujols at first?

EDIT - this could also allow the Cardinals to have Kolten Wong and Matt Carpenter both in the lineup full-time. Who goes to third? Carpenter? [This also makes it more of a win for St. Louis now, IMO]

Now that I look closer at everything, and specifically Grichuk rather than just a glance ...

He's not too terrible. Decent power. Doesn't walk much, but seems to have decent-good range and somewhat of an arm.

Bourjos is definitely a plus on defense over Jay, again looking more closely at things. He's still young, he'll be 27 on opening day, he could probably get things going in St. Louis. One thing that confuses me with him is his lack of steals, but that could be due more to injury than anything.

Freese had a down year on offense, and moving to a much bigger, more pitcher-friendly park probably isn't the answer. We'll probably see him put up something between this year and last year as far as offense goes. Defensively, not good, but the Angels did need a bat over at third. Their third basemen in 2013:

PA    AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB  SO  BA  OBP  SLG  OPS  TB
651  585 66 144 23  2  8  67  2  5 48 108 .246 .304 .333 .637 195

**Question - do you guys think they DH Pujols for the year and put Trumbo at first, or put Trumbo out in left and keep Pujols at first?

Freese did not look good at all last year.

Basically, from a risk/reward standpoint, it's a win for the Cardinals. They get a valuable player in Bourjos and the secondary part of the deal is a total win for them. I'm not sure why the Angels included a prospect like Grichuk for Salas who was probably going to get DFA'd anyway.

As for Pujols/Trumbo, they should probably play Trumbo at 1B the majority of the time all things considered.

I'm not sure that they keep Trumbo though.

Yankees sign McCann

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/yankees-to-sign-brian-mccann.html

wtf?

I actually think the Yankees were a perfect fit for him, and he'll maximize the value of that deal there. He can DH on off days, as he gets older he can transition into that role more, and in Yankee Stadium his power numbers should rocket with the combination of extra ab's as a DH and the dimensions...