Marlins trade/FA talk

Hotcorner

Marlins might trade someone in the rotation leading to Hughes filling the spot much like Vazquez a couple years ago.

Considering this team's tight budget, the pitcher shouldn't cost as much money as Hughes is asking for. If we're paying a pitcher ~8-10 million per year, he could at least be...well, good. Hughes isn't a good pitcher.

Marlins might trade someone in the rotation leading to Hughes filling the spot much like Vazquez a couple years ago.

Considering this team's tight budget, the pitcher shouldn't cost as much money as Hughes is asking for. If we're paying a pitcher ~8-10 million per year, he could at least be...well, good. Hughes isn't a good pitcher.

And there's really just no need to pay a starting pitcher, even if we trade one. We have way too many guys that are just about Major League ready, I would much rather give that spot to a Brian Flynn.

I would like to take a risk on Phil Hughes but not for 8 million. I doubt we sign him for that much. Johan Santana could be a decent signing, even though he is made out of glass.

Sanatana would be a great low risk, high reward signing. He already knows the NL East and pitching in Marlins Park would probably help him tremendously at this point in his career.

I think that Hughes is going to be a bargain for anyone that signs him. He has outstanding stuff and he would benefit from pitching in a much less pressurized environment, like Miami. I like the way that Mark Ellis plays the game, but he seems like he would be a better fit on a veteran team trying to win right now.

Sadly, in this day and age, being good is not a prerequisite to getting 8-10 million as a baseball player.

Guest Vince0926

I'm getting tired of this. I wanna hear something marlins related. Even if we find out Pierre or polanco or whoever went somewhere. All I know is valiakia went to cubs and that's it. We gonna get trumbo or not??

Besides Mark Ellis, apparently we're interested in Red Sox prospect Garin Cecchini.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/florida_marlins/index.html

Sounds like a great prospect, but as they noted, with Colin Moran coming would this make sense?

He isn't guaranteed to be a good 3B in the majors. That's why they are called prospects.

See Miller, Andrew and Maybin, Cameron for proof of that.

According to FanGraphs, Hechavarria's WAR (Wins Above Replacement) is a minus-1.9. As an organization, Miami is curious as to why the analytical community has such low calculations on Hechavarria. The Marlins would like some answers, and they actually plan on having a team representative meet with some numbers people at the Winter Meetings in December.

According to FanGraphs, Hechavarria's WAR (Wins Above Replacement) is a minus-1.9. As an organization, Miami is curious as to why the analytical community has such low calculations on Hechavarria. The Marlins would like some answers, and they actually plan on having a team representative meet with some numbers people at the Winter Meetings in December.

Yeah I read this like a week ago, its amazing that the Marlins need to have meetings to figure this out.

What's so difficult to understand? Yeah he's at least a pretty good defender but his atrocious offense hurts his WAR. Its like they think WAR is just based on a few flashy defensive plays.

The Marlins are surprised as to why a player with a .565 OPS would be viewed unfavorably by the analytical community? Are they joking?

Anyway, the Sun-Sentinel had a piece about the defensive metric side of things. The Marlins were wondering if "numbers lied" and BIS put the smackdown on them. Even "Mr. 14th Century" Perry Hill realized in the end that maybe the numbers were in fact exposing some major problems with Hecchavarria's positioning:

Added Marlins infield coach Perry Hill: "I guess the numbers don't lie. I need to do a better job getting him in the right place, bottom line. I saw a lot of good shortstops. I didn't see anyone that was any better than him."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/fl-miami-marlins-hechavarria-1201-20131130,0,6122087.story

That wasn't clear to me at first, but yeah, maybe you're right. But I think that BIS gives a compelling reason as to why Hechavarria might not be rated so highly. If he's being sarcastic, he looks really foolish here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.