Marlins to sign Furcal

i like this signing.

Wild Card: Looks like no one is going to win our bet we made as to whether it's deitrich or solano starting 2b...

Let's flip it over to third base then

:mike2I can pretty much guarantee we will sign a 3B at the meetings.

I just don't see them spending any more money on an infielder. I could see a couple of minor leage deals with an invite to ST, but I don't think they're going to acquire anyone else.

I think they think they're set.

Right now, they have pretty much zero power at 3B. It's doubtful Dietrich is even ready. They'll be acquiring someone. I don't think they assume they're ready as is.

I just don't see them spending any more money on an infielder. I could see a couple of minor leage deals with an invite to ST, but I don't think they're going to acquire anyone else.

Right now, they have pretty much zero power at 3B. It's doubtful Dietrich is even ready. Ed Lucas isn't a starter. They'll be acquiring someone. I don't think they assume they're ready as is.

Right now, they have pretty much zero power at 3B. It's doubtful Dietrich is even ready. They'll be acquiring someone. I don't think they assume they're ready as is.

I mean if they think Dietrich is ready and can play 3B then they don't have zero power at third. In fact they would have pretty decent pop at third.

Admin, I do hope you're right, competition never hurt. But I don't think they will acquire anyone of any significance that would make any difference.

I think they will go the trade route for the 3b position. I would still keep an eye out for a deal with the Brewers for Aramis Ramirez. Although I am not sure of his contract situation and not sure if we can afford his contract. I know there has been interest from the Brewers in LOMO although I wouldn't think they would create a hole (I know backin, LOMO is already a hole) at 1st to do this. They might move some lesser pitching prospects such a Brad Hand or Tom Koehler, and those types of pitchers. I know the Brewers are desperate for pitching. Just my thoughts.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/mike-napoli-talks-reach-critical-stage.html

Then again, maybe we aren't done with free agents? Mike Napoli??

Although, after reading the post one more time, if we have to give up our 1st round pick this wouldn't make sense. Especially since we are picking so high. Unless it's a lesser pick that we would have to give up? Anyone know what the compensation is to sign Napoli?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/mike-napoli-talks-reach-critical-stage.html

Then again, maybe we aren't done with free agents? Mike Napoli??

Although, after reading the post one more time, if we have to give up our 1st round pick this wouldn't make sense. Especially since we are picking so high. Unless it's a lesser pick that we would have to give up? Anyone know what the compensation is to sign Napoli?

Top 10 draft picks are protected. We would give up the next pick I believe.

It's illogical to expect him to be productive at 36 just because some other players have been productive at that point. Generally speaking, the majority of players are shadows of themselves by that age. He was already declining in his most recent two years of play.

I don't know what "always in good shape" means. He didn't even play last season so the Marlins have no idea what to expect from him. His performance in the couple of seasons before the injury was pretty lousy, so you'll have to define "good shape."

You also aren't explaining where the .275 average comes from (as if batting average even means much anyway). He was putting up a .251/.314/.347/.661 line in 2011-2012. He's two years older now.

I'm sure that his defense will be acceptable (probably not much better than what Solano can do) but that's about all we can look forward to.

Everything Canada said makes perfect sense. All of his thoughts on the subject are logical.

Furcal CAN BE a shadow of himself AND STILL be productive. I don't know what retard said Furcal has always been "just an average player", he was one of the best SS in the game for quite a while.

In his prime he was a 6+ WAR player, nobody is expecting to come in here and do that. But I agree with everything he said, Furcal played pretty decent for the Cards in 2012 and his range/arm should be less of an issue at second base. If he can come in and post an OPS around .700 and play above average defense and be a 1 WAR player he was absolutely worth it. If he can't, I can all but guarantee you the team will make an improvement during the year to remedy the situation.

I do agree he is far from a guarantee, but again, Canada's assumptions are spot on IMO. I do hope they make him compete for the job, though, and they don't just hand it to him.

It's fallacy to assume that one player will be productive at age 36 just because other players (a minority of them) have been productive at that age. Furcal's decline in performance indicates that he's not aging well.

Saying that Furcal was a 6+ WAR player in his prime is incredibly misleading. Fangraphs (the better WAR calculation) has him never going beyond 4.6 WAR in his prime--basically making him a 2.8-4.6 WAR player in his prime. Baseball Reference only has him going beyond 5.0 WAR once in his entire career. Saying that he was a 6.4+ WAR player is idiotic.

I also don't know why you are expecting a .700 OPS from him when he fell short of that in his most recent seasons when he was two years younger.

As for defense, I wouldn't expect too much there. His main asset has been his arm, which is less useful at 2B. He's been losing his range with age, so a transition from SS to 2B won't help tremendously in that respect. He'll likely be around a neutral defender, maybe a little below. His WAR is also going to drop when you factor in the drop in positional scarcity from SS to 2B.

I still don't understand where the expectation comes from that Furcal will be hitting .275 this season. I don't care much about batting average really, but Furcal his numbers over the last 2 seasons suggest that reach that number are pretty unlikely. It seems like you guys expect him to revert back to performance closer to his prime, which is pretty silly if you look at the numbers.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2013/12/media-column-thoughts-on-coverage-of-incognitomartin-broadcast-notes.html

I just found this one saying we are in negotiations with Garrett Jones and working out a deal with him. Seems that are willing to move LOMO and expect to get something decent back (que backin pulling out hair) for LOMO.

Not sure what to believe or expect but this is turning out to be a fun off season. At least they are making an effort to improve the team and not blow up the young core.

Oh and Ed Lucas isnt a starter.

Even after pitchers adjusted to him and he adjusted back and they adjusted again and he adjusted once more?

Pitchers talk about and share notes on Ed Lucas, man.

Is Wild Card's last name Dietrich? I consider 3B a Black Hole right now. But, they have already fixed C, 1B (maybe) and 2B (maybe). Taking Mathis, Morrison and Solano out of the starting lineup for Saltalamacchia, Jones and Furcal is a good start. I'm fine with letting Ozuna and Ruggiano duke it out in the OF for a starting job this spring......but I want a legit starting 3B like Middlebrooks.