Marlins Sign Jeff Baker for Two Years.

SongInTheAir

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but his power spiked last year at age 32. Just finding his stroke? Probably not. Power as a result of playing in a hitters park? Probably. He hit 10 HR against lefties last year. 2011 and 2012 combined for twice as many lefty AB's for 6 total HR. 11 total HR in 2013, 9 in hitter's parks, 1 in neutral parks, 1 in pitcher's parks (Seattle, where the fences were moved in). Is $4 million worth it if we end up with 2 years of his 2012 lefty splits: .240/.277/.388/.665? I'll take Ed Lucas and his .330/.374/.509/.883 lefty split for a fraction of the price.

wait a sec... did they just do a thing we wanted them to do?? I mean that is a pretty smart move and gives them a bunch of flexibility.

career vs LHP

.298 .353 .522 .875

he would basically take the other 5th OF/platoon spot, so bench is Mathis, Bogo, Baker, Lucas, Dobbs I guess?

Holy hell... um, are we sure this is the Marlins? Like, the Marlins that play in Miami? For the National League of Major League Baseball? The same team owned by Jeffrey Loria?

A totally un-Marlin-like move, but I like it!

...looks like a violent dogfight between Lucas, Solano, maaaybe Dietrich, and the non-roster guys (Wigginton, Johnson) for the final bench spot.

Holy hell... um, are we sure this is the Marlins? Like, the Marlins that play in Miami? For the National League of Major League Baseball? The same team owned by Jeffrey Loria?

A totally un-Marlin-like move, but I like it!

...looks like a violent dogfight between Lucas, Solano, maaaybe Dietrich, and the non-roster guys (Wigginton, Johnson) for the final bench spot.

Considering they will need another middle infielder, as your backup plan at SS should not be Furcal at SS and Baker at 2B, it's going to be Lucas/Solano. Dietrich will get everyday AB in Jax/Nola.

Probably should be Lucas as Solano can be optioned and Lucas has the better LHP split which is useful.

wait a sec... did they just do a thing we wanted them to do?? I mean that is a pretty smart move and gives them a bunch of flexibility.

career vs LHP

.298 .353 .522 .875

he would basically take the other 5th OF/platoon spot, so bench is Mathis, Bogo, Baker, Lucas, Dobbs I guess?

I have already voiced my disapproval of the signing, but I do like the FO's platoonish thinking, which seems to fall under "outside the box" for our team. That said, I still see Baker and Lucas as the exact same offensive player. If both end up being on the roster, I see one in a full time platoon at 1B, and the other as a late innings PH. I will poop my pants if the FO plays the better fielding Lucas in the platoon role. 2013 WAR: Lucas 1.5, Baker .7 Baker's career net WAR....note, I said NET, not average, is 1.1 across 9 seasons. I smell the second coming of Wes Helms at the price of $4 million. Carry on. I'll be in the corner, sulking.

it sounds like that 2nd year probably nudged the Marlins over some other teams for Baker.

Now sit back & watch as they offer Stanton an extention and then sign Stephen Drew and Bronson Arroyo.

The second year made a ton of sense for us, too, with Jones also under contract for two years.

I applaud this move. Makes this team much better, actually.

Now sit back & watch as they offer Stanton an extention and then sign Stephen Drew and Bronson Arroyo.

I hope I'm not going over anyone's head here but this post reminds of the scene in dumb and dumber when they put hot peppers in the guy's burger and, in anticipation of what's gonna happen next, Jim carrey has this hilarious way of looking over his shoulder trying desperately to hide his laughter from the guy. That's how I picture Loria whenever we make shockingly positive moves like offering Stanton an extension. Just sayin!

Super solid signing. Jones and Baker platooning should combine for a competent 1st baseman this year, with Baker getting time at multiple positions.

Two years is nothing, less than $2 million a year is Dobbs money, and I think we'll get solid production from Baker. This is actually a positive signing, although I'd like to see the team let some younger guys get playing time instead of giving all these 30+ year olds starting time in what should be a transition season to 2015. This team still needs more hitters to be taken seriously. Again, love the signing, but the overall strategy the Marlins have exhibited the last two seasons has been a bit odd.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.