Marlins sign Marmol

Jokersgoon

This signing is mostly irrelevant and not worth making a big deal about. The reality is that, all kidding aside, Marmol probably isn't as bad as people think although he's very annoying to watch pitch. This is the predictable veteran signing. He's basically replacing Qualls. They lost Webb and Qualls and got Capps and Marmol pretty much.

As for Cishek, anyone feel like the organization might extend him? They have to pay someone, right? Stanton is as good as gone imo. The reliever market also changed this offseason. And we all know that this franchise has: a) had trouble with closers and b) values saves.

I could see a Cishek extension happening way before a Stanton extension ever happens. After the recent Freddie Freeman extension, I think Stanton is just here until both sides decide to move on. They should have made the decision already, but I think he'll ultimately be traded after this year.

As for Cishek, anyone feel like the organization might extend him? They have to pay someone, right? Stanton is as good as gone imo. The reliever market also changed this offseason. And we all know that this franchise has: a) had trouble with closers and b) values saves.

I could see a Cishek extension happening way before a Stanton extension ever happens. After the recent Freddie Freeman extension, I think Stanton is just here until both sides decide to move on. They should have made the decision already, but I think he'll ultimately be traded after this year.

I really didn't think about it that much until u brought it up. Both A and B make sense. We have had trouble with closers the past couple of years especially through FA. Although I don't they will necessarily sign him to an extension I do think they will give it some thought.

The Stanton situation sucks, just a couple weeks ago Jennings was quoted as saying they reached out to Stanton and wanted to get something done sooner than later. With the signing of Freeman and other players being locked but the chances don't get any better. Even IF they wait until after next season and Stanton is willing to listen to what they have to offer they will still play a lot more.

BTW, In 40-man roster, there is no empty space for Baker and Marmol. (Roe has signed minor deal.)

Who's gonna DFAd?

Let me guess : Sam Dyson and J.T. Realmuto. (maybe Jimmy Paredes or Hatcher could be)

I can't imagine a scenario they designate Realmuto. He might be the backup catcher next year (and could get a call up before Brantly if Salty/Mathis get hurt this year) and has big upside. He is really young. You keep him. I think the pool starts with Hatcher, and next four in no order Brady, Dyson, Jensen, and Paredes. I don't think it really matters which of those 4 you DFA. All of them have talent and you'd like to keep (Jensen-bench power 28 bombs AA/AAA last year but hit .230, Paredes ideal 4th OF has killed AAA for 2 years, Dyson and Brady middle-back bullpen arms), but end of the day doesn't impact the core. I think I would go Dyson too, because they have arms and need to gamble on the bats.

Marmol at times was one of the most dominant relievers in baseball. Pitching in a lower pressure environment instead of the hot mess that Chicago can be should help. There's no guarantee the move pans out but I think the chances are worth the gamble. If Marmol toes a fine line he can be successful even with a high walk rate because he is effectively wild. If he can stay close enough to log strikeouts he can offset that.

They must think they can fix him. And to give him 1.25 million....

His numbers are weird because so many categories are great but the walk numbers are laughable.

IF he can get walks under control you never know but I would have liked to put that money towards someone else.

But I guess trading Ruggiano for Bogusevic and then giving the money that could have gone to Ruggiano for Marmol is a little weird.

I feel like the plan is to pick up a few of these guys in hopes of flipping them at the deadline and turn nothing into something. At the same time, they get to keep their younger guys down and save on arbitration time.

I can see this. Maybe also hoping a new environment and coaches will have a positive effect on him for that trade value. They have been saying since before Christmas that they were looking for a veteran presence in the pen. Apparently he is it.

Slept on it. Still dislike the move. Its the guaranteed contract that I hate. It shouldn't have been anything more than a minor league deal.

Marmol said it was important for him to get a major league guarantee, which in his case means "Man if I got a minors deal and had to prove myself to make a team, I'd have never made any team! Thanks God I can now sneak my poor performance onto a major league roster no matter how much I blow."

So Matt Lindstrom all over again.

I thought the reliever panic attacks were gone once Heath Bell/Kevin Gregg were sent packing. I now know it's never over.

Some of the results may be similar, but Matt Lindstrom was a 100 mph fastball that was fast enough to miss bats much of the time without exceptional movement. Marmol's pitches have so much movement you can understand watching why he can struggle to hit the plate, but its as difficult for hitters to hit him as it is for him to throw strikes.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the idea of taking another cheap reclamation project but Marmol seems as far from an easy fix as anyone we've ever had.

Plus the Fish have this idea of him being low-risk solely because he won't be the closer. I don't get that. If he blows leads in the 7th or 8th he's still costing the team whether he's the closer or not.

I can only guess their thought process goes with the invisible shield around closers that you throw them in every ninth inning no matter what and u let them stay in through their troubles. Yet, with Marmol being "not the closer" then I guess they're more ready to pull him when he struggles. Although of course that only makes more trouble for Dunn, Ramos, Cishek, or whoever comes in after him to inherit his garbage.

I get the idea of taking another cheap reclamation project but Marmol seems as far from an easy fix as anyone we've ever had.

Plus the Fish have this idea of him being low-risk solely because he won't be the closer. I don't get that. If he blows leads in the 7th or 8th he's still costing the team whether he's the closer or not.

I can only guess their thought process goes with the invisible shield around closers that you throw them in every ninth inning no matter what and u let them stay in through their troubles. Yet, with Marmol being "not the closer" then I guess they're more ready to pull him when he struggles. Although of course that only makes more trouble for Dunn, Ramos, Cishek, or whoever comes in after him to inherit his garbage.

I could totally see them recklessly throwing him into high-leverage situations and saving Cishek for the 9th just because the latter is the closer. Gross.

Wait a minute -- they signed him because they think they figured out something in his delivery that was causing his control problems.

He's got great stuff, so if they're right he'll be at least OK or maybe better. He did well in winter league in DR, IIRC. If they're wrong, he'll continue to walk guys and otherwise blow up, in which case he won't be around very long. Either way, it's no big deal.

Wait a minute -- they signed him because they think they figured out something in his delivery that was causing his control problems.

He's got great stuff, so if they're right he'll be at least OK or maybe better. He did well in winter league in DR, IIRC. If they're wrong, he'll continue to walk guys and otherwise blow up, in which case he won't be around very long. Either way, it's no big deal.

Yep. Supposedly they watched him in the Winter Leagues and decided he has figured out his control problems. Only time will tell, but it's not a big deal.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.