Second Round of Cuts

MrAndMrsFish

Well, I'll put it this way -- you are the first and only person I've seen say that it'll be Hand in the pen if both make the team.

I totally agree, there is no way the Marlins can keep Hand out of the rotation , if for any reason he starts struggling Heaney is a phone call away Koehler has pitched very well...I would keep them both in the rotation...hey but that's just me

Guest Guest

Koehler pitched in September but he was really mediocre. I also don't place much stock in limited spring training innings. Although I'm not very high on Hand overall, I think that he has more upside than Koehler does, which is why I think he's the better choice of the two to be in the rotation.

Guest Guest

I think upside and potential are more important factors for a team that isn't likely going to be in competition. Turner hasn't been living up to expectations but I think he should have some leash left.

I would start with Fernandez, Eovaldi, Alvarez, Turner, and Hand.

What do you guys think about moving Turner to the pen and letting him work out his kinks in the low pressure, long relief spots? I just think his leash is getting shorter by the day with all the other starting options we have. I understand he's still young, but he has not shown much improvement since coming over. His command has been shaky to say the least, especially considering his lack of strikeouts. Has he really ever shown anything to warrant starting over Koehler/Hand/Slowey/Heaney/etc.?

Guest Guest

I would start him in the rotation and move him down to AAA if he struggles. I assume he has options left but you never know with Detroit.

He's still only 23 this season, so he should be getting innings as a starter in any capacity.

Koehler pitched in September but he was really mediocre. I also don't place much stock in limited spring training innings. Although I'm not very high on Hand overall, I think that he has more upside than Koehler does, which is why I think he's the better choice of the two to be in the rotation.

Tom Koehler in Sept: 28.2 IP, 2-1 Record, 23 Hits Allowed, 3.14 ERA

Certainly very good for a fifth starter. He's continued that success, even more so, into this Spring. Dude has earned a spot in the rotation.

I am on the "Turner to the bullpen" bandwagon. I'd rather have Hand and Koehler both starting, but the Marlins won't reduce Turner's value by making that move. Again, the rotation will remain the same, Hand will take Jennings' spot and all will be right with the world.

Guest Guest

Tom Koehler in Sept: 28.2 IP, 2-1 Record, 23 Hits Allowed, 3.14 ERA

Certainly very good for a fifth starter. He's continued that success, even more so, into this Spring. Dude has earned a spot in the rotation.

I am on the "Turner to the bullpen" bandwagon. I'd rather have Hand and Koehler both starting, but the Marlins won't reduce Turner's value by making that move. Again, the rotation will remain the same, Hand will take Jennings' spot and all will be right with the world.

I meant to say that he pitched fine in September, but was mediocre overall. The small sampling size is meaningless. As is spring training to some extent.

I meant to say that he pitched fine in September, but was mediocre overall. The small sampling size is meaningless. As is spring training to some extent.

Spring Training may be meaningless, but September was not. The games mattered. It's also encouraging he did that at the end of the year, when he should have been tired and scouting reports were out there, and not in April with a fresh arm and no info on him.

Guest Guest

This is a really dumb idea considering that Turner is only 23 and has some upside. I'm not saying that Turner ever realizes his potential, but you don't give starts to Tom Koehler over him--that's just idiotic.

I'd put Hand in the rotation because he's got more potential and Koehler has more experience beyond the long guy out of the bullpen.

As far as Turner goes: that's a fucking mess. I'd just ride him out the whole year and hope that he figures it out sometime. At this point, he might actually just become the next Andrew Miller.

Guest Guest

Spring Training may be meaningless, but September was not. The games mattered. It's also encouraging he did that at the end of the year, when he should have been tired and scouting reports were out there, and not in April with a fresh arm and no info on him.

Small sample size.

This is a really dumb idea considering that Turner is only 23 and has some upside. I'm not saying that Turner ever realizes his potential, but you don't give starts to Tom Koehler over him--that's just idiotic.

I don't really disagree with you. Turner's just never really impressed me, at least in comparison to the other arms around here.

I'd give the fifth rotation spot to Koehler. He wasn't over the top special last year, but he more than held his own. I don't think Hand is a better option (although obviously he has more upside) and I don't think there is any other option available ready to take over that 5th rotation spot in April. I still see Heaney pitching well in Jax and taking over the 5th rotation spot after the Super 2 deadline.

I'd give the fifth rotation spot to Koehler. He wasn't over the top special last year, but he more than held his own. I don't think Hand is a better option (although obviously he has more upside) and I don't think there is any other option available ready to take over that 5th rotation spot in April. I still see Heaney pitching well in Jax and taking over the 5th rotation spot after the Super 2 deadline.

I'm not making any pitching predictions past April. Too many injuries and too many arms that are ready.

If you're talking about a fifth starter, his second half last year was fantastic. And he's had a good spring. He's done nothing wrong or been outplayed by anyone to lose that spot so he should hold it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.