Jon Morosi: "One year later, Marlins better off than the Blue Jays."

MarlinatPenn

Guest Guest

It was still success. He wouldn't be the first guy who hit in the PCL that also had success in the majors. It was also his most recent season before the trade.

That's terrible logic. He also wouldn't be the first guy to hit well in the PCL and then be terrible in the majors.

Anyway, my major problem with the trade is that the Marlins clearly overvalued some of the pieces they acquired. I get the impression that they viewed Hechavarria as the most coveted piece of the trade despite the fact that it was clear that his offensive capabilities were pretty poor before he even put on a Marlins uniform.

I really doubt Hechevarria was the most coveted piece of the trade. I don't think he was a throw in but Nicolino/Marisnick had to be the major pieces for them.

I really doubt Hechevarria was the most coveted piece of the trade. I don't think he was a throw in but Nicolino/Marisnick had to be the major pieces for them.

Are you serious? No, really, are you fucking serious? THEY were the major pieces? You're an imbecile, it was OBVIOUSLY Mathis. The trade being pulled off hinged on his being included in the deal. DON'T YOU KNOW THAT?

Bingo. None of this talent even matters if you don't lock it up long term. Fans have little confidence that the guys who emerge into good players will be around by the time a winning team is possible.

this is the problem. My opinion is Loria will be happy with a repeat of 2003 if we can "get lucky" but his main goal is, and always will be to squeeze a buck out where he can, with winning totally 2ndary. As a fan it makes it more and more difficult to lay your emotions down on a team, and thus Loria misses the fact he is losing revenue from having those long time loyal fans who will help grow a loyal fanbase. I think he's missing out on this and the future of the franchise is damaged by this. But he's probably not that concerned about the long-term health of the Marlins, just while he is alive & the owner. Shame for us fans....most other franchises act so differently because they get the "future" aspect of being a franchise.

The trade wasn't the problem

Not re-investing into the team was the problem - which they still haven't done

Yep, the Marlins made trades like these to save money alone. Loria & Co. may pass these off as baseball moves, and in their warped minds it may be. As far as they see it, they weren't going to win with talent that was getting paid, so they might as well save money if they aren't going to win.

That team had no chance of succeeding even if everyone was healthy. The problem wasn't as much injuries as it was players they paid high dollar for absolutely sucking.

They also would have had a better chance if the squad they got in 2006 had been managed better. The timing of those players going through arbitration and FA wasn't good with the stadium opening date, and we traded many of those guys for insignificant returns while we extended a select few who didn't live up to it. The most notable guys were an extremely injury prone, overrated starting pitcher who rarely could go long in games due to command issues, and a guy whose work ethic was a concern and who was a very good component of a lineup without ever becoming a guy who could carry a lineup.

Granted, I know that ST records mean jack s*** but our 16-9 record so far is the best its been since 2008. I think its also the first time since 2008 it was over .500

Just pointing that out cause I'm bored.

Piss off.

Spring Training records are only meaningless if ur 9-16. But once ur 16-9 it means ur team is the best thing ever.

In all seriousness, while the 16-9 is nice to see I think the fact that we lead all teams in ERA is actually something worth making note of.

Guest Guest

They also would have had a better chance if the squad they got in 2006 had been managed better. The timing of those players going through arbitration and FA wasn't good with the stadium opening date, and we traded many of those guys for insignificant returns while we extended a select few who didn't live up to it. The most notable guys were an extremely injury prone, overrated starting pitcher who rarely could go long in games due to command issues, and a guy whose work ethic was a concern and who was a very good component of a lineup without ever becoming a guy who could carry a lineup.

I was talking about the Blue Jays.

The young arms have all shown promise, to different extents of course. Mathis has served his purpose as a "signal caller" and should be fine as a backup. He's been worth almost the same as John Buck. The weak link in the trade is Adeiny. If we'd kept Escobar (personality issues aside) and traded Hech, the trade would be looking even better.

Perhaps, but I like what Adeiny has done the last week with the bat.

Bunt single, single and triple against Detroit. 3 hits ain't normal for him. One isn't normal. He did get picked off after the single.

Quirky game. Mathis had 4 hits. Will wonders never cease. Maybe Hech will redeem himself with lots of bunt hits and some triples and SBs. He's sure got the speed to do it.

And I'm not in the "he's the worst player in MLB" camp, at least not going forward.

He's young and should probably still be in AA, but there he is. He learns a little more about hitting, plays to his speed, learns how to steal a base and he might be quite serviceable. Probably not a "perennial All-Star" but good enough not to be a detriment.

I feel like they're overrating our pitching. It's a good position to be in for sure, but I don't see it as being THAT dominant. This team is still not close to ready without one of Marisnick/Ozuna panning out, Salty being serviceable, and at least one more good IF bat.

And perhaps underrating Toronto's, or at least describing it oddly. He says they have 3 strong arms and then two uncertain spots. That seems pretty typical; and, it's not like the Marlins have anyone you can be confident will be a 3+ WAR arm, outside of Fernandez of course.

Guest Guest

But what if their hitting coach instructs to hit to the gaps? We're doomed.

Only the Marlins are smart enough to think of that hitting strategy. Broncobob thinks its our secret weapon.

But what if their hitting coach instructs to hit to the gaps? We're doomed.

Bigger dimensions make it easier for outfielders to track down balls. Since the fence is further, fielders can go at full speed for longer without having to worry about running into a fence. Any way you slice it, a higher percentage of well hit balls still end up in fielders gloves, and some that don't still end up being only worth a double instead of a run.

Guest Guest

Don't believe I voiced my opinion one way or the other. Just posted what the new hitting coach said. And during yesterday's game on TV, Hut and the other announcer said it.

So you refuse to commit to endorsing the brilliant strategy of hitting the ball where fielders aren't standing?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.