Arison interested in buying Marlins

Jay Ram

My guess is Loria will be a lot more open to selling a year from now, when he won't have to share any profits with the County.

Unfortunately, that's not true, just as it wasn't the last time someone else said the same thing. The non-relocation agreement was revised twice, the final agreement being here:

http://www.miamidade.gov/internalservices/library/nonrelocation_agreement.pdf

Any sale of 50% or more of the team during 2014, '15, '16 or '17 requires 5% of the proceeds in excess over 250 mill to be paid to the county. Only a sale in '18 or after would be penalty-free.

Even so, the 5% over 250 penalty may not be enough to discourage a sale. A sale at 500 mill would only have a 12.5 mill penalty attached. 750 mill would only cost him 25 mill. He blows those kinds of numbers every couple of years on bad contracts.

"Arison, who declined to comment about interest in the Marlins, is the model owner locally. He hires the right people, spends money freely (having paid a luxury tax every season of the Big Three era) and has fostered an environment that has earned praise from players. He lives year-round in South Florida (unlike Loria and Dolphins owner Stephen Ross) and doesn’t meddle on personnel."

^^ All this stuff is good. We'll see if Loria ever sells though.

Baseball isn't basketball. You cant just spend in this game and make the playoffs easily.

I don't think that would matter too much, the point is really that he'd be spending and he wouldn't dismantle it a year later, most likely.

And I'm with you! Very ecstatic if that happened.

Baseball isn't basketball. You cant just spend in this game and make the playoffs easily.

That being said I would f***ing love it if he bought the marlins.

The point is he would let the baseball people do what they do and keep a stable payroll.

The point is he would let the baseball people do what they do and keep a stable payroll.

This is what's important to me. Arison knows that his job is to put the people in place to build a winner, and then just let them do their jobs without overruling them or causing chaos in the organization. He writes the checks and gets out of the way.

Besides staying out of the way, he'd have the funds to spend if need be.

This would be fitting after all the years of Loria we've had to endure. What makes Arison buying the Marlins such an intriguing thing to think about is that he's a local businessman who probably isn't going to ever leave Miami. It's not some random Mark Cuban type that wants to buy any team. If Arison were to buy a team, it'd be the Marlins. There's a strong chance that he'll be interested once Loria decides to sell.

This is what's important to me. Arison knows that his job is to put the people in place to build a winner, and then just let them do their jobs without overruling them or causing chaos in the organization. He writes the checks and gets out of the way.

Well said.

Well said?

That's BS.

This whole thread is BS.

Loria has left Hill and Jennings alone this year. That's now accepted as absolutely perfect owner behavior, right? Why, then would anyone need a new owner?

Because so-and-so will spend money when it's needed? Wait, Loria has done so, twice. 52 mill on Delgado in '05, 200+ mill in '12. He'll likely do it again if the situation arises. He loves baseball. He loves to win. Maybe too much.

The whole "he didn't reinvest" after the '12 trades cuts no ice, because there was nothing to reinvest when you lost 50+ mill in '12 betting that fans would show up for a big new payroll of big-name FAs plus Hanley plus Stanton in the brand-new palace.

When did he pull back and dump the accumulated payroll? Why, that would be when he figured out that the fans aren't buying enough tickets to support the higher payroll. He's discovered that nasty fact twice.

Why would anyone think that anyone else will dump 10s of millions into this team year after year when the fans don't show up is beyond reason. Ain't. Ever. Gonna. Happen.

The next owner will be faced with the same crummy attendance. Jeb Bush and Arison and Mark Cuban and any number of other potential owners may be younger and have better hair than Loria, but none of them are stupid and neither is Loria. Crummy attendance = you're screwed.

Could someone else do a better job of building the fan-base long-term? Probably. But, that doesn't mean crap in the short-term, attendance is everything.

This outfit, like all other MLB outfits costs at least 160 mill per year to run. They're probably at about break-even. My only current objection to Loria is that he's given no indication that he's ready to spend the extra 24 mill/year from the new MLB TV deal.

Sorry that you don't see the immutable logic of what I said, or in any case won't answer any of it outside of taking a snide pot-shot.

To answer your question as if it were serious, I'll probably defend the next owner against the inevitable attacks from people who don't know what they're talking about, like those that emanate from your new friend DCFishFan.

I'll manage. And it'll be fun.

Don't you think that Loria might be well-advised to say something about how he plans to use the extra 24 mill from the new MLB TV deal?

I think you do have a point about the poor attendance in Miami. I've always believed that a good deal of the poor attendance at Marlins games had nothing whatsoever to do with anger or frustration at this or any other ownership group. Fans in South Florida are notoriously fickle and I wouldn't expect the Marlins attendance problems to disappear if/when Loria sells the team. There would probably be a temporary spike in attendance given the widespread enmity toward Loria and Samson, but if the new ownership doesn't get some superstars and turn games into "must attend" events, then I would expect attendance to drop back down.

..., you do make some decent points from time to time and are obviously very intelligent. But your slavish defense of Loria and your incessant bashing of anyone who dares to disagree strip you of any credibility whatsoever. I think that's the point Penguino was trying to make.

I'm no Loria lover, but despite ...'s incredible and constant defense if him, when he presents the facts how can you disagree?

Knowing that I am a big Marlins fan, people will ask me how I feel about the Marlins ripping off tax payers for a stadium. I immediately find myself reciting ...'s posts about bed tax and how almost no tax payer from Miami Dade actually paid a dime. Dude knows what he's talking about, love for Loria or not.

"When did he pull back and dump the accumulated payroll? Why, that would be when he figured out that the fans aren't buying enough tickets to support the higher payroll."

ok, another attendance thread. Why? The attendance figures do not support the reason Loria does not spend. So much is made that attendance is the factor, but none of these posts explains how the Braves spent all this money this year with an attendance figure only 4400 more than the 2012 marlins. Given that 4400 difference and the Braves had a $ 95 million payroll in 13 and higher this year and signing all their players to long term deals,, equates to a ticket price of $199 per ticket for those additional fans. Just print out the 2013 attendance list http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2013-misc.shtml, and the argument that the 27,401 marlins attendance in 2012 is the justification to cutting back to a 24 million payroll in 2013. The list is full of teams that spend more without a higher attendance, or a minimal difference in attendance. Gosh, Seattle averaged 21,749.

I will not disagree that after a year, I am happy with the dump-those losers he spent money on went to another team and helped them achieve last place also-consistency. But to say fans didn't show up and thus Loria is fully justified in his actions because of the bad, terrible fans-well, they did not sell out every game, but overall it was well in line with most other teams.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.