4-9 Post Game

canada-marlin24

Thanks Debbie Downer. You bring great optimism to the table.

I understand the flaws with the team. You say the offense will be bad, and I agree that it will likely be bottom 10 in baseball bad. But given how bad last season was, we could be bottom 5 in baseball and we could easily improve the offensive output by a total of 100 runs. If the pitching staff can be even 3/4th as good as it was last season, the bullpen/defense get it at least somewhat together, and the offense doesn't produce the worst offense in Marlins history like last year (and this offense isn't THAT awful. Guys like Dietrich/Yelich/Salty/improved Stanton/McGehee make this offense a hell of a lot better than it was last season).

If that happens, what will be the outcome?

Seriously, nobody on this damn board is calling this team a 6 run a game team. But we're not a 2 run a game team like last year. There are actually some hitters outside of Stanton who could potentially, *gasp* hit in the lineup.

Three pages of replies and no one has mentioned what I think is a bigger issue , the fact that we blew a 5-0 lead. We finally have an improved offense and we knock out a great starting pitcher in the second inning... We cannot lose games like that regardless of how frustrating the eighth inning was.

that was bad but we were also using an emergency starter who had only been throwing bullpen recently. It's not like Hand (or Slowey for that matter) getting knocked around by a good hitting team like the Nats is shocking.

If that happens, what will be the outcome?

I'm still saying this team could win anywhere from 70 to 84 games this year. We're likely somewhere between 72 to 75, but if things break right we could maybe get close to .500

I'm still saying this team could win anywhere from 70 to 84 games this year. We're likely somewhere between 72 to 75, but if things break right we could maybe get close to .500

Hm, I don't think we're that close but I'm certainly hoping we are. Personally I'm trying not to worry about W/L this season. Just want to see progress from Yelich/Ozuna/Dietrich/Hechevarria/Eovaldi/Alvarez, as well as the prospects in the minor leagues. We need pieces to build around Stanton/Fernandez.

You know, I'm not even mad.

For me, this is how the Werth slam went:

Rich: "here's the pitch."

*crack*

Me: "Fuck." *gets up and leaves room*

I didn't wait to see where it would land, I knew it was gone off the bat. Thing is, like I said, not even mad. Just more ... apathetic now. I knew not to get my hopes up after last week. Not trying to be negative here, I was looking forward to this series to see how we would do against a good team to be honest. This is a game we should have won and didn't. It's something I've unfortunately come to expect after the last three years.

But, it's still early.

You know, I'm not even mad.

For me, this is how the Werth slam went:

Rich: "here's the pitch."

*crack*

Me: "f***." *gets up and leaves room*

I didn't wait to see where it would land, I knew it was gone off the bat. Thing is, like I said, not even mad. Just more ... apathetic now. I knew not to get my hopes up after last week. Not trying to be negative here, I was looking forward to this series to see how we would do against a good team to be honest. This is a game we should have won and didn't. It's something I've unfortunately come to expect after the last three years.

But, it's still early.

I just have a hard time accepting that I saw the game going this route. Its happened time and time again.

And it being early is bullshit. Every game counts. Losing sucks, giving it away is different.

Giving it away TWICE is different. And worse. Depressing game to lose. But, so it goes at least 60 times per year, for virtually every team. There's usually some bonehead play(s) or move(s) at fault in any loss. If only... Coulda, woulda, shouda.

Board psychology is funny. Win a few, exuberance. Lose a few, depression. But, if they win 2 or 3 of the remaining 4 on this trip they come home 8-5 or 7-6. Far cry from last year. They could lose all 6 and be 5-8. Still a far cry from last year.

This ain't last year's team. They can actually hit a bit. Not MLB's greatest offense, but a real offense. Now, as for Marmol, it remains to be seen whether they're right that he's changed his delivery sufficiently to be effective. When he hit the first guy I knew it was trouble. That's the old Marlmol -- active leader in hit batters. By a lot. For sure they're gonna continue to use him until he succeeds or fails. Why he was used with Ramos (or anyone else) available I don't know -- maybe they want to figure out whether or not he's really worth a crap, quickly. Hopefully it doesn't take them too long to decide whether to fish or cut the Marmol reclamation-project bait.

Marmol-ized-always was just a matter of how quickly this would happen. Hope we do not see him in tight situations again unless the bullpen is totally overworked. Doesn't anyone on the coaching staff remember that Werth has problems with fastball up, so you throw him one down and in his wheelhouse. Just about the same spot as the first gift strike that was out of the zone, but instead you fix it by just getting it right over the plate and down.

Guest Guest

Yeah, he F'd up, but he's the best hitting middle infielder in the entire organization and actually could be a long term piece. Let's not get too down on dude.

Let's not get too up on him either

Chalk it up as another learning experience, but Red has to be smarter than that. We had this game in hand once we chased Zimmermann out.

Hopefully we can at least take tonights game, but we really won't know what kind of team we'll have this year until mid/end of May.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.