Carlos Rodon Slipping: Would You Take Him?

Entendu

Jackson has a good chance to remain a catcher...He really does field his position well...Has a plus plus plus arm. It would be entirely on the Marlins if they choose to convert him to another position

Honestly, if we drafted him and made him an outfielder, that'd be really dumb. If you can get a guy with that much power who can play solid D behind the plate and move him elsewhere ... then again, Washington did it with Harper, so who knows?

We have Chad Wallach at Greensboro, Austin Barnes at Jupiter, Jacob Realmuto at Jacksonville all doing well at catching. Drafting Alex Jackson for catching would be overkill at this point, and his development would be alot longer. We should move Jackson to OF immediately to expedite his development.

If we are gonna draft a position player over Rodon it needs to be a Middle infielder or 1b. Unfortunately thats just not there at that point in the draft. Would be fantastic if we had Kris Bryant siting there like last year.

If they draft Jackson, and retain Stanton, there is always the possibility that Yelich ends up at 1B.

Jackson has OF experience and could make the move a la Harper. That would also give us another strong arm out there to hold runners.

I hate how money affects the MLB draft so much. Just like it affects the entire aspect of baseball. There needs to be mandatory slot money system where you automatically get the money that slot is determined to get and then you can decide whether you want to take it or go back to the draft another year.

If they draft Jackson, and retain Stanton, there is always the possibility that Yelich ends up at 1B.

Jackson has OF experience and could make the move a la Harper. That would also give us another strong arm out there to hold runners.

Good God, an outfield of Jackson, Stanton, Ozuna ... you'd almost want to put Stanton in left.

I hate how money affects the MLB draft so much. Just like it affects the entire aspect of baseball. There needs to be mandatory slot money system where you automatically get the money that slot is determined to get and then you can decide whether you want to take it or go back to the draft another year.

Yeah, I don't understand why the MLB is like that. Then again, the NFL only recently changed how rookie contracts are handled, so maybe there is hope. When does the current CBA end?

Yeah, I don't understand why the MLB is like that. Then again, the NFL only recently changed how rookie contracts are handled, so maybe there is hope. When does the current CBA end?

I dont understand why it would be negotiated like that in the first place. The previous CBA couldn't have been that long ago. The MLBPA would obviously want a pay scale for the draft because it increases wages for major leaguers and the owners would want one because it lowers costs for such a risky investment like the draft.

I also don't know much about the MLB draft so I'm sure there is a reason for all of this.

2. Miami Marlins | Pick: Brady Aiken | LHP | Cathedral Catholic HS (San Diego)

Aiken has the best overall pitching package in the draft, and a future rotation featuring him, Jose Fernandez and Andrew Heaney could be special.

I gave serious consideration to Alex Jackson with this pick since the Marlins need power bats to build around Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich, but in the end I couldn't pass up this type of arm and upside. Aiken is a winner, intelligent with strong makeup. He could be the next Cliff Lee.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=9471

Miami Marlins

This draft could be a huge opportunity for a farm system that ranks near the middle of the pack, as Miami has four selections on Day 1 and more money to spend than any club. The Marlins have taken collegiate players with their last two first-round selections, but over their history they've had a strong lean toward prep players with high upside, and this could be the perfect draft for them to go back to that strategy and load up with young talents that could help them compete for the NL East in a few seasons.

There are rumors that ownership is mandating that they take Rodon if he's still on the board at No. 2, but the strength of this draft is in the prep ranks, and they have a chance to add intriguing upside talents with picks 36, 39 and 43.

Possible top picks: Rodon, Kolek, Jackson

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1784&ex_cid=espnapi_public

#2 - Marlins

Carlos Rodon

SCHOOL: NC State

HT: 6-4

WT: 235

POS: LHP

Analysis: I've heard this comes from the owner: If the Cuban-American lefty is there at No. 2, take him, and we'll have a pair of Cuban aces at the top of our rotation. If he's not here, they're also on Alex Jackson, and general manager Dan Jennings was in attendance for Aaron Nola's strong start at the SEC tournament last week -- although I think that's a real long shot.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/?season=2014&version=2&source=Keith-Law-Mock-Draft

Newest mock draft from Keith Law

For what it's worth here is another quote from Keith Law.

• The White Sox selection of Kolek is “the lockâ€� of the top five picks, says Law. He also adds that Marlins ownership has pushed strongly for Rodon due to his proximity to the Majors and marketability as a Cuban-American left-hander. Law calls his slider the best overall pitch in the draft. (Note that these bullets are a very brief summary, and those with heavy interest in the MLB draft will consider the Olney/Law segment time well spent upon listening to it in its entirety.)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/05/draft-links-astros-gordon-howard-top-5.html