Marlins in 1st Place for first time since June of 2012; Is this success sustainable?

marlins1994

The Marlins are currently the hottest team in baseball, winning 9 of their last 10, including five in a row and owning the best home record in baseball. We have the second highest run differential in the National League and most importantly, players that are performing at or above their potential. Let's start with our hottest hitter: Giancarlo Stanton. His home run and RBI total topps the National League, in addition to having an OPS of .995, only trailing Tulo in the NL. Did I mention he is 5th in runs and top ten in walks? Let's not forget Casey Mcgehee, our free agent 3B signing that is currently top ten in RBI's in addition to Stanton. Yelich is also coming along well, currently sitting tied for 8th for runs scored. As for the pitching, the starting rotation has been phenomenal. Fernandez and Koehler have been the two best pitchers, as they are both top ten among NL Pitchers for ERA and WHIP. 4 of the Marlins Starting Rotation has a sub 3.00 ERA. The Marlins were able to get a good outing out of Turner today as well. There have been strong points on defense as well. Mcgehee, among 3B with 300 or more innings, has the third highest fieldign percentage (7th overall in NL). Adeiny, as usual, looks to appear to be a gold glove candidate. Finally, the bullpen. Yes, it has had it's problems, but Cishek is fitting in pretty well as closer and the majority of the bullpen seems fine.

The question I want to ask you all is if this success is sustainable: yes or no? The Marlins are 20-15 overall, 17-5 at home and 3-10 on the road. Right now, we are on pace for about 60 wins, which by the way is four short of the NL Record (1961 Cincinnati Reds). That mean's if we could get a measly 30-35 wins (last year we had 26), which is under .500 for the road, the team would finish with 95 wins and a good shot at winning the division for first time in franchise history and the most wins in a single season in franchise history. So what could the Marlins do to see themselves winning the division later in the season and making the playoffs? What moves would the Marlins need to make in order to compete for the rest of the season? In my opinion, I feel they need to trade Marmol and get a quality set-up man and another middle reliever. Who would be likely candidates? Tell me what you guys think....

TIn my opinion, I feel they need to trade Marmol and get a quality set-up man and another middle reliever. Who would be likely candidates? Tell me what you guys think....

Why would anyone give anything for Marmol? He is just Archimedes Caminero with a history and there are plenty of them out there.

Regardless, the team is great to watch and even though I could only watch the first 3 innings, I had the radio on and the pillow speaker and ended listening through the 8th. Then, woke up at 3 and had to check out the results, watch the home run, read the wrap. Basically, the marlins killed my sleep pattern, so it is a good thing they won. With the starting staff, definitely sustainable.

Tell me what you guys think....

I think we are discussing this in every thread, so you're just looking for attention here. Plus, your post is so full of badly-used information and absurd extrapolations that I don't even know where to go with it. 60 home wins? Lololololololol.

I think we are discussing this in every thread, so you're just looking for attention here. Plus, your post is so full of badly-used information and absurd extrapolations that I don't even know where to go with it. 60 home wins? Lololololololol.

I said the Marlins are currently on pace for 60 home wins. I never said anything about actually getting 60 home wins. And all the numbers I used are stats from ESPN, so I'm not sure of the badly-used information that you are refering. Also, I realize we can't get anything for Marmol, I just said trade him. In addition, I was asking what relief pitcher the Marlins should trade for, even if they don't trade Marmol for said relivier. Honestly, we could cut Marmol, it really doesn't matter, as long as we get rid of him.

I'm going to wait until our road record improves (and not against the Padres) before I become more than "cautiously optimistic" - however, I am enjoying this ride so far.

Also, there's June. Let's get into July before getting too excited. :lol

I think we have a decent shot- most of the teams in our division are dealing with injuries to their rotation (Mets/Braves) or injuries to key players (Nats), The team I'm a little concerned of is the phillies and Nats. THe phillies are desperate to prove they still have it in them despite their age, and the Nats have enough to possibly become a NL East version of the Rays.

I'll go to the first playoff game and run on the field naked if they win 60 home games this season

The Phillies desperation to prove themselves does not change the fact that they're too old and not very good.

Never underestimate the tricks old timers have up their sleeves.....

I'm sure Lee, Hamels and Ruiz all have sandpaper up there.

I said the Marlins are currently on pace for 60 home wins. I never said anything about actually getting 60 home wins.

You also said:

That mean's if we could get a measly 30-35 wins (last year we had 26), which is under .500 for the road, the team would finish with 95 wins and a good shot at winning the division for first time in franchise history and the most wins in a single season in franchise history.

Which is still a little ridiculous. A far more likely road to the playoffs, if one exists, is continuing to have a winning record at home while going .500 or slightly less, away for the rest of the season. But we're not even a month from the last 8 game losing streak, so let's not count our chickens just yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.