Sign in to follow this  
Hotcorner

Marlins trade/FA talk

The Marlins signed Juan Diaz to a minor league contract. He is the best choice for starting SS in 2014 and now the best SS in the marlins system. This is a really really nice signing imo.

The Marlins signed Juan Diaz to a minor league contract. He is the best choice for starting SS in 2014 and now the best SS in the marlins system. This is a really really nice signing imo.

Baseball America still likes him... but on paper he looks like another Hechavarria...

Baseball America still likes him... but on paper he looks like another Hechavarria...
He's got a lot more pop than Hech and he grades out as a + defender. He's a big dude and I think that pop could end up actually translating pretty well in mlb. He has played in one of the least hitter friendly leagues in the minors (International League) whereas Adeiny's only decent professional year was in the most hitter friendly (PCL). I don't think he's the savior obviously and I know he won't get to start (maybe when Hech's OPS is still mid 500s mid next year the FO will see the light), but he is the best option in the marlins at SS right now and should be given a chance for the job in ST.

I think this is getting carried away. He's pretty unimpressive from I can gather.

I think this is getting carried away. He's pretty unimpressive from I can gather.
Don't entirely disagree. The issue is Hech is below unimpressive.

The Marlins don't have to look very hard to find someone to hit better than Hechavarria or Diaz. The issue is that they won't even bother to try because they are going to start Hechavarria at SS next season regardless because they see "potential" in him.

The Marlins don't have to look very hard to find someone to hit better than Hechavarria or Diaz. The issue is that they won't even bother to try because they are going to start Hechavarria at SS next season regardless because they see "potential" in him.

Correct. It'll take two years for them to give up on him. They saw Brantly as the catcher of the future (I did, too) and they eventually recognized that may not be right. Hopefully they do the same with Hech if he under performs again.

The Marlins clearly have much more confidence in Hechavarria than they did with Brantly.