Jose placed on DL with right elbow sprain

why not call up Heaney? they had no problem calling up Fernandez mad early

Even more reason not to call him up and delay his Super 2. There is no sense in rushing his clock at all.

This goes for all potential call ups in organization. Fernandez sets them back a year and a half.

why Alvarez? what's his contract status?

He's going to make $3+ million next year and they could theoretically have a rotation next year of Eovaldi, Heaney, Koehler, and an assortment of Turner, Flynn, Nicolino, Conley, DeScalfani, etc.

Got to be the right price, but he is a bump by 2016 with Fernandez, Heaney, Eovaldi, 2014 # 2 overall pick, one of those above "cheap 5th SP options"

It's apparently the Marlin way.

It would also be incredibly stupid. In particular with Stanton/Cishek/Salty/McGehee/Alvarez (although McGehee and Alvarez should be available at the right price in all situations).

Stanton is useless to a non-contending team 2014-2015. It's sad, but it's the reality of the situation now. If it's the right package and they get 5 young guys (i.e. infielders and a young ace... Pittsburgh could go all in Taillon/Polanco/all infielders in their system, you never know) who are MLB ready for 2016, it makes a lot of sense to beef this team around 16-20, i.e. Fernandez controlled years where they could likely sign him for a first few after with a buyout in 2 years after an arm injury. As for the rest, they are not going to be around 16-20. It's about creating a winner and not dicking around 78 wins just to prevent a 68 win season.

Really depressing. This is absolutely devastating for the organization (and of course Jose) on so many levels. I suspect a major swoon to start any day (if it hasn't already happened) and serious questions of Stantons future to emerge by the end of June.

What have I said in this thread that's more pessimistic than what anyone else has said? Or far from reality?

Spike is the one who said that Fernandez has become Matt Morris now and then you call me out for negativity? I'm not saying anything that isn't objectively supported by stats.

To be fair, I said it is my fear that is the case. 1997-2003 Matt Morris was a pretty good pitcher, just not elite.

I expect ridiculously outrageous comments from Spike and ignore them at this rate. Take it as a complement given I understand your knowledge of the game.

I understand where you're coming from 99.99% of the time. But right now it's all negative posts even WELL before the Fernandez news. There's enough good aspects about this team that the barrage of negative comments becomes tiresome.

I am certain I know more about the game than you do.

Yep. Donovan Solano is the worst player in the game and Edgar Renteria wasn't that good. Spike knows all.

Donovan Solano is one of the worst hitters in the game and I just personally didnt care for Renteria(and he was overrated defensively). If you had lived anywhere near St. Louis in the years Renteria was here, you would hate him too. They are an entire fanbase of Wild Cards.