Astros trade talks with Marlins?

Look like the Astors got hacked, if this story can be believed.

If this is true, looks like the Astros tried to pick up Stanton. All parties deny it. Would you do pull the trigger on this deal?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/houston-astros-get-hacked-%E2%80%94-the-team-s-trade-negotiations-leaked-online-185735481.html

Seems to be 100% true based on MLB execs confirming it as fact.

Also based on the wording used the Astros called the Marlins asking for Stanton, and given the Marlins longstanding policy of listening to calls for any player they countered the 'Stros request by asking for #1 overall prospect Carlos Correa and current rookie phenom (and ironically same age as Stanton) George Springer, as well as other smaller assets in all liklihood. Astros hung up as would be expected.

To be fair given the current prospect landscape the team that would match up best for the Marlins prospect wise would be the Astros, but it would only happen if the Astros ever agree to throw away their tremendously stacked farm for him. That likely includes AT LEAST one of Correa/Springer along with some of the other cool assets they got like McCullers, Wojciechowski, Santana, etc..

In other words this isn't happening and people will make it a bigger story than it likely should be.

Although I do see the Marlins trading Stanton the year before he enters free agency in 2016, but it's highly doubtful they let go of him before 2015.

Astros GM is totally idiot. He refused Springer and Correa deal against Stanton, but suggested Cosart and DeShields instead.

A "Righty" 30-40 homer guy is not cheap and common.

I think he regards to play baseball simulation game as a gm.

@EvanDrellich: Astros stmt: " It is unfortunate and extremely disappointing that an outside source has illegally obtained confidential information. "

@EvanDrellich: "It does appear that some of the content released was based on trade conversations, a portion ... was embellished or completely fabricated"

The bigger story here for Marlins fans is the fact that at least the Astros organization is looking to acquire talent, and at least maybe TRY to look longterm with a major player - with a major contract - meanwhile you again have the Marlins looking like they are looking to unload any player, no matter who it is, who is going to make decent money.

In other words, enjoy Fernandez for a few years because he too will be on the market just like Stanton.

We have such a pathetic owner, never looking to win & build a winner - just looking at his wallet.

Guest Guest

The bigger story here for Marlins fans is the fact that at least the Astros organization is looking to acquire talent, and at least maybe TRY to look longterm with a major player - with a major contract - meanwhile you again have the Marlins looking like they are looking to unload any player, no matter who it is, who is going to make decent money.

In other words, enjoy Fernandez for a few years because he too will be on the market just like Stanton.

We have such a pathetic owner, never looking to win & build a winner - just looking at his wallet.

What part of this says the Marlins are trying to unload Stanton or that he's on the market? Read the actual quote that some stories are spinning:

[Luhnow] talked to [Marlins GM Dan Jennings] and said we had interest in Stanton. DJ said he doesn't think he'll trade Stanton and the only deal he could think of from us that would work would be Springer and Correa. JL said that would not work. JL posited a deal around Cosart and Deshields.

What part of this says the Marlins are trying to unload Stanton or that he's on the market? Read the actual quote that some stories are spinning:

Admin, you can stick your head in the sand if you wish, but I won't. Just stop it, he's leaving just like Miggy and you know it. There's been no serious LTD even offered to the guy, because had there been a serious one made, the Marlins would have publicized it everywhere as they look to thump their chests anytime they can - and it would have put some pressure on Stanton to sign it, and if he doesn't then they save face with the fan base saying they tried.

Guest Guest

I'm not sticking my head in the sand, I put up the actual quote sir.

If anyone is sticking their head in the sand, it's you because you have an agenda and are ignoring what was actually said.

I'm not saying Stanton won't be traded, in fact I would say odds are better that he is eventually but the simple FACT is that from the leaked documents -- the Marlins were saying they weren't shopping him aka the exact opposite of what you were saying.

Eh, curveball spouts the same crap over and over -- Loria is evil, the end. What else is new?

The Marlins will listen to anyone, as will any MLB team. Listening to what are (99% of the time) insufficient offers means nothing.

But, merely listening to an offer, according to curveball, means that because 1) we traded Cabrera when there was no possible way to keep him in the old football stadium, that therefore 2) we will trade Stanton when we are in a new stadium and have new revenues, not to mention 24-25 mill/yr of new national TV revenue, enough by itself to sign Stanton FOREVER if Loria wants to blow it all on one guy.

That's our curveball! Master of illogical Loria-hatred.

We may or may not trade Stanton. If we do, it won't be because we couldn't afford him. If we make him an offer, you won't hear a peep about it until negotiations are complete -- signed or not. Just as you didn't hear a word about extending Hanley or JJ or Nolasco until the deals were done. Or, for that matter, the signing of Delgado in '05. Teams and players don't like to negotiate in public.

Of course, none of that will stop the gratuitous Loria-bashing by curvy. It's what he does.

Guest Guest

I this image in my head where anytime anyone says something bad about Loria, a signal goes off outside of ...'s house like the bat signal and he springs into action

Before this season, yes. Right now, no.

Correct, when the deal was talked about, that would have been a no brainer.

IF they decide to move him, though, they're probably looking at a bigger return than Miggy at this point.

Guest Guest

The return on Miguel Cabrera really wasnt even that great BEFORE Maybin and Miller fizzled out. It was Maybin, Miller, and a boatload of mediocre organizational filler. None of the other prospects were highly thought of and no one could understand why the hell they demanded Mike Rabelo in the return.

I this image in my head where anytime anyone says something bad about Loria, a signal goes off outside of ...'s house like the bat signal and he springs into action

Say, Spike, why don't you and curvy and maybe DCFishFan and a few others start a board called LoriaSucks.com or LoriaIsACheapBastard.com or WeHateLoria.com or LoriaIsAThief.com or, well, you get the idea. I'm sure you can come up with the optimal Loria-hating-despising-trashing name.

I'll even sign up to be your punching bag. I'll provide facts and debunking of goofy claims, and then everyone can deny the truth. What could be more fun than that?

Since south Florida (not to mention most of the rest of the country) is a repository of drooling Loria-haters who love to spout venom and heap opprobrium on the Dark Lord of Owners, such a board should attract a very wide following, far larger than the mere few dozens here.

Get it done.

The return on Miguel Cabrera really wasnt even that great BEFORE Maybin and Miller fizzled out. It was Maybin, Miller, and a boatload of mediocre organizational filler. None of the other prospects were highly thought of and no one could understand why the hell they demanded Mike Rabelo in the return.

Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller were both top 10 prospects in the game when that deal went down.

Guest Guest

Way to completely gloss over the entire post, which was clearly about all the other players involved in the deal.

I will say, however, I do miss Dallas Trahern's cousin coming on here and giving us daily updates on how awesome his cousin is Those were humorous. He was right up there with Marlins1 and his irrational mancrush on Gaby Sanchez.

Ya know I read curveballs post this morning before work and I almost replied with the exact same thing that Admin did sans the exact quote. But I held back figuring I'd come off mean. I'm glad Admin put it out there. Curveball loves jumping the gun with his Loria hatred. Loria could walk on water and curveball will tell everyone that Loria can't swim.

To be fair, he has never done anything other than give reasons to hate him.

Loria or curveball? I know Loria is a pain but curveball irrationally hates on Loria even when it's unjustified. I imagine curveball goes into Subway and if they put too many onions on his sub, he blames Loria and tells everyone in the place that Stanton will be a Dodger before he can finish the sub.

Guest Guest

Loria or curveball? I know Loria is a pain but curveball irrationally hates on Loria even when it's unjustified. I imagine curveball goes into Subway and if they put too many onions on his sub, he blames Loria and tells everyone in the place that Stanton will be a Dodger before he can finish the sub.

Both of them, really.

Honestly,

South Florida is so hell bent on hating Loria, about 60% of the people I talk to about the Marlins think Loria broke up the 97 team.

I usually troll them, but these days I just nod and walk away laughing. Why bother. For every one you correct, theres 5 more out there who spew the same junk.

A lie can travel halfway around the world while "...." is still putting on his shoes.

Guest Guest

I agree that some people go overboard(especially if they lump him in with Wayne), but in general...Loria pretty much does deserve everything he gets thrown at him. You cant be the worst owner in a sport for going on two decades by a significant margin and expect people not to point it out. He is like Marge Schott reincarnated just without the abject racism.

You just can't stop, can you?

Loria deserves little of what is thrown at him. Not none of it, but little of it. Going on 2 decades? Loria's been a MLB owner for 15 years, not "going on" 20. To compare him in any way to goofy Marge is beyond ridiculous.

When will you be registering LoriaSucks.com?