Jennings: Stanton, McGehee not on block

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/07/07/mlb-trade-deadline/12323757/

Sorry, Marlins GM Dan Jennings hates to spoil anyone's party, but Stanton isn't going anywhere.

And, oh yeah, don't think about third baseman Casey McGehee and his .320 batting average and 53 RBI.

"He ain't going nowhere, either,'' Jennings told USA TODAY Sports.

------------

Miami Marlins general manager Dan Jennings told USA Today Sports that he will not trade either of the team's best hitters, reiterating the club's stance that Giancarlo Stanton won't be dealt while also claiming that Casey McGehee isn't available.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11191522/miami-marlins-gm-insists-giancarlo-stanton-casey-mcgehee-not-trade-block

Guest Guest

So, how about that uh ... contract extension thing for Stanton?

Yeah, it's bad news that Stanton is NOT on the block unless they intend on making a legitimate offer for a contract extension. The bad news is that they already blew any possibility of getting him at an affordable rate.

Yeah, it's bad news that Stanton is NOT on the block unless they intend on making a legitimate offer for a contract extension. The bad news is that they already blew any possibility of getting him at an affordable rate.

Yeah, I agree.

Time to overpay.

And then lock up Yelich and Fernandez. Tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL.

Almost by reflex, McGehee’s unusual breakout season has led to observations that he can’t keep doing this.

Equally confident have been the assertions that his BABIP (at .369 before Sunday’s action) has to go down.

Has the writer been reading this board? Nah, nobody here has ever said that he can't keep it up or his BABIP had to go down.

Here we are 97 games in and he's been hitting 290-320 all year and slugging 380-400 all year. The guy has become a machine.

Gosh, maybe he's changed his approach or something. And is sticking to it.

Yeah...that .369 BABIP isn't sustainable. History says that. I like McGehee, and hell if there aren't any good takers out there I have no problem giving him an extension for another year given the sh*tty third base market going into this offseason, but if they wanted to cash in, now would be the time with McGehee.

I've said it before but I see McGehee like when we had Cantu. Guy was doing really good for a short time and it was likely he wouldn't be that good for that long. Marlins waited until he sucked and then traded him for trash. We could technically stick with McGehee and wait and see if and when his luck will eventually run out, but if we could get a good farm system top 7 prospect in return for McGehee, you don't turn it down.

Yeah...that .369 BABIP isn't sustainable. History says that. I like McGehee, and hell if there aren't any good takers out there I have no problem giving him an extension for another year given the sh*tty third base market going into this offseason, but if they wanted to cash in, now would be the time with McGehee.

I've said it before but I see McGehee like when we had Cantu. Guy was doing really good for a short time and it was likely he wouldn't be that good for that long. Marlins waited until he sucked and then traded him for trash. We could technically stick with McGehee and wait and see if and when his luck will eventually run out, but if we could get a good farm system top 7 prospect in return for McGehee, you don't turn it down.

The situation with Cantu was not really comparable at all, FWIW. Cantu was not productive "for a short time", he had two very good seasons, and the 2008 and 2009 teams were winning ballclubs in the race all year with zero reason to trade him.

Although the 2014/2015 Marlins likely won't be as competitive as those teams, McGehee should be kept around for the same reason Cantu was... you won't find that kind of production in the bargain bin again.

I believe Mcgee is a serviceable 3rd baseman that knows how to hit.....but Jones at first has to go. Give Bour the job for rest of the season and lets see. As to second base Valdispin deserves a chance. Realmundo should be catching. Maybe a Jones, Salty, Heaney package could get a decent starting pitcher.

Funny stuff. One post and the BABIP, how did the writer put it? Fairy? is back.

Could be true. Even likely to be true. Regression eventually and always happens. The question is when.

I'd be the last guy to dispute it. I've been a numbers guy my whole life. I was writing code at age 15 when the nearest computer was a Pillsbury mainframe accessible by a 1" paper-tape teletype terminal from my high school. 47 years ago. I've been trading markets for the same period of time. Yeah, back then I wasn't yet legal and had to put my mom on the phone to tell the broker to carry out my instructions. (He eventually got tired of that nonsense and didn't bother.)

Point is, sometimes players, like markets go much further up or down than makes any sense at all. When it comes to markets, the saying is "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent." The upshot of that being "don't buck the trend."

When it comes to players, just like markets, there are always outliers that go much further than anyone thought possible.

McGehee may be one of those guys. Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

Guest Guest

A .369 BABIP isn't sustainable--as in, I wouldn't expect him to put that up again next season.

I really don't mind the Marlins keeping him around for next season because the Marlins have zero better alternatives in their system and the free agent market for 3B sucks this offseason.

It would be nice if we could tie up Stanton, Fernandez, Alvarez, Yelich, Cishek, Ramos and Ozuna to long-term deals. Give McGehee, Morris and Eovaldi a couple of years as well.

Oh wait, this is the Marlins ...

Stanton, Fernandez, Alvarez, Yelich, Cishek, Ozuna, yes. If we were the Braves they would all sign 8 year deals this off season, which means half of them will be traded and the rest will go year to year until they're also dealt in 4 years.

I wouldn't be upset if they waited to extend Jose until 2016, just to be certain he bounces back OK. It would be nice to see Alvarez get an extension to assure we have a top tier front end rotation moving forward, but I doubt that happens. I think realistically, we might be able to hope for our OF to be locked up long-term as soon as this off-season. The FO loves Yelich and Ozuna, so those two should be no brainers while they're still cheap enough. Stanton's contract will be on another planet, but we'll see. Cishek would be nice to have, but I wouldn't be upset if they decided it was best to deal him at this point.

Nobody else needs a long term deal yet, especially relievers like Ramos and Morris who are under control. Eovaldi would be a candidate if he finishes the year strong, but I wouldn't mind waiting another year.