2014 Marlins Trade Deadline

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/rosenthals-latest-price-mariners-indians-pederson-cishek.html

• The Marlins are leaning towards selling. Closer Steve Cishek may be the most likely to be dealt. He’s earning $3.8MM this season and will only get more expensive in his next three spins through arbitration. The Marlins may prefer to rely on a less expensive closer and get something back in the process.

It is time we were expecting it. A Fish closer named on latest Rosenthal column.

I've been dreamed buying mode earlier this season but that was a dream.

I love McGehee, but he could probably get a decent player or two in return. Not sure after Cishek if they even have much to trade.

This year has been the most enjoyable to watch in several years, but it appears as though they've peaked, time to cut bait

But it begs the question, when will Loria finally put together a team that he doesn't have to be a seller at the deadline ? His failed ownership is once again the reason he's headed for his 4th straight 5th place finish. We've heard nothing but "they're loading up the farm" for 3 seasons now. For what ? And if you finish with that many last place finishes, when does it dawn on you that you and your front office just don't get how to run an MLB team ? Look at Oakland. Why is it Loria refuses to look at their system and steal one of their junior executives and model the team after them ?

Cishek should bring back a ton of value. Hopefully they don't fuck that up.

You know, I was all for keeping McGehee, but after doing a doubt take at Mark Canha's season in NO it makes you wonder if he's capable of stepping in. If they think he can, it would be worth dealing McGehee. If not, then just keep him, no big deal.

I'd love to see them deal Jones if anything could be had for him.

Guest Guest

But it begs the question, when will Loria finally put together a team that he doesn't have to be a seller at the deadline ? His failed ownership is once again the reason he's headed for his 4th straight 5th place finish. We've heard nothing but "they're loading up the farm" for 3 seasons now. For what ? And if you finish with that many last place finishes, when does it dawn on you that you and your front office just don't get how to run an MLB team ? Look at Oakland. Why is it Loria refuses to look at their system and steal one of their junior executives and model the team after them ?

For starters they do not believe in sabermetrics. They probably refuse Oakland's methods out of spite.

McGehee has been super clutch this season, but with the team floundering and him on a one-year deal, it makes sense to say goodbye.

McGehee is arbitration eligible, so the team can retain him next year. That's the only reason he would not be dealt.

It is not a "firesale" but for once it would be nice to see the owner open his wallet and sign his players. Years of mediocrity is not good for any fan.

There's only a select few I would want them to sign, anyway. It's not like we have 10 key contributors on a first place team lacking long term deals.

I have no respect for a franchise that traded away Miguel Cabrera. Now they have 2 young aces in Fernandez and Alvarez and solid batters in Stanton and Ozuna. You don't trade players like that away. You build around them.

I have no respect for a franchise that traded away Miguel Cabrera. Now they have 2 young aces in Fernandez and Alvarez and solid batters in Stanton and Ozuna. You don't trade player like that away. You build around them.

They likely will build around the players you mentioned, including Yelich. The only one of them that is likely to be dealt IMO is Alvarez, unfortunately. He's going to be making big money too soon.

I would trade Cishek and McGehee (especially the latter) since there's little chance he does this again next year. I mean he's 53 points above his career average this year.

And yeah, some team will probably overpay for Cishek.

I'd sell on Cishek, mostly because his value is high and I bet he doesn't last that long that high.

I mentioned in the game thread that if we were to trade him, I'd love to send him to Oakland or LAA. Now that I think about it, maybe Seattle would be an even better option. The Angels have a firm lead on the top Wild Card spot and are right behind Oakland for the division. Seattle, I think, has the best prospects of the three teams, so if they want a bullpen arm to set up Rodney perhaps, they could go for Cishek. Sell high!

None of those teams need bullpen help. Teams like the Tigers, Dodgers, Giants, Pirates and Brewers make more sense.

The Angels have been shoring up their bullpen lately - added Grilli, removed Frieri - added Street just the other day - what's one more arm?

Oakland, I'm sure, would love to get rid of Jim Johnson and replace him with a reliable arm like Cishek.

Seattle - OK, maybe that was just wishful thinking - they need a right-handed power bat more than anything.

However, Oakland and LAA - why not? Sure, Oakland really just has Jim Johnson to worry about and LAA has bolstered their bullpen, but they want that division spot and the #1 seed, not the Wild Card game. An arm like Cishek maybe helps them win a couple more games.

Also, fuck the Tigers.

Oakland has the deepest bullpen in baseball. The Angels don't need him either after all the moves they've made recently.

Plus, those two teams have terrible farm systems. The Angels just traded theirs away for Huston Street.

To be honest, I wouldn't even trade Cishek.

Oakland has the deepest bullpen in baseball. The Angels don't need him either after all the moves they've made recently.

Plus, those two teams have terrible farm systems. The Angels just traded theirs away for Huston Street.

To be honest, I wouldn't even trade Cishek.

OK, fair enough.

Who do you try to pry (realistically) from LAD, Milwaukee, San Fran, or Pittsburgh, if he is traded to one of those teams?

OK, fair enough.

Who do you try to pry (realistically) from LAD, Milwaukee, San Fran, or Pittsburgh, if he is traded to one of those teams?

The Dodgers have too many outfielders. Pederson might be a lot to ask for, but I think it's a starting point after what the Padres were able to get out of Street.

EDIT: Assuming, of course, that Seager is untouchable.