2014 Marlins Trade Deadline

The Dodgers have too many outfielders. Pederson might be a lot to ask for, but I think it's a starting point after what the Padres were able to get out of Street.

EDIT: Assuming, of course, that Seager is untouchable.

There's no way we get either of those guys for Cishek.

I feel like people (not necessarily just this board) are overrating what the Padres got for Street.

Keep in mind that if Cishek is traded, he'd probably be traded to a team that wants to use him as a setup guy. I'm normally not this guy, but Jeffrey Loria is terrible. The only reason this is being discussed is because he's so cheap. There's a nice core in place right now; just stay loyal to your players at this point and add a couple of good, mid-tier free agents after the season. Spend some damn money!

I feel like people (not necessarily just this board) are overrating what the Padres got for Street.

Keep in mind that if Cishek is traded, he'd probably be traded to a team that wants to use him as a setup guy. I'm normally not this guy, but Jeffrey Loria is terrible. The only reason this is being discussed is because he's so cheap. There's a nice core in place right now; just stay loyal to your players at this point and add a couple of good, mid-tier free agents after the season. Spend some damn money!

Who do you suggest we add, Mr. Erick?

Eh, I know the Angels system is awful, but they still gave up three of their top ten guys.

I'm not sure everybody appreciates just how good he is, but a lot of us know we're not going to find a closer as good as Cishek. We're discussing trading Cishek because when you're a team on a major budget due to a cheap owner like we are, every dollar counts. That means we can't afford to give out something like $7 million to Cishek when that money needs to be dispersed on other things such as locking down the other key players on the team.

Also, Cishek could net us a good haul, meaning possibly players who can be big parts of the team moving into the next few years. We need help at SS, 2B, and potentially 1B and 3B depending on what we do with McGehee and Jones, so we're gonna need players who can compete for starting jobs at those positions soon enough. While Cishek might not net us a top 50 prospect, he could possibly net us a guy who could be a future long term starter for one of those infield spots, plus a potential project pitcher who could turn into something if everything goes right (and that's what Cishek will net, one really good prospect and one project guy with a possible high ceiling but definite flaws).

I love Cishek and like you I'd love to see the team lock him, Stanton, Alvarez, Fernandez, and Stanton to long term contracts and live happily ever after, but unfortunately this team doesn't run on the budget of the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/etc..., so we have to be frugal in certain spaces. One of the places you can't can't CAN'T spend big money when you're working on a tight budget is the bullpen. Bullpen guys work small sample sizes and thus are prone to unpredictability, take for example Bryan Morris who was pretty bad with Pittsburgh and is now a beast here, or Mujica who was decent with us and suddenly became a beast closer at one point when traded to the Cardinals.

The Marlins just need to be smarter about where they disperse their money when it comes to the bullpen. Anybody with eyes would've told you that guys like Marmol/Gregg/Rodriguez weren't going to work out.

TV deal? Their local TV stinks and will until, what is it? 2019? The national TV deal is the same as all teams. 24-25 mill/yr.

We don't know if Loria is planning on spending it all on Stanton or not.

As for Stanton, screw him. He seems to think he's the GM. If he doesn't like trading Cishek or whoever, too effing bad. He gets a vote on stuff like that when he owns the team. Other than that, he can just shut his yap.

What I want to know is what happened to the 5 mill/year for stadium naming rights. The joint still has no name worth a dime.

TV deal? Their local TV stinks and will until, what is it? 2019? The national TV deal is the same as all teams. 24-25 mill/yr.

As for Stanton, screw him. He seems to think he's the GM. If he doesn't like trading Cishek or whoever, too effing bad. He gets a vote on stuff like that when he owns the team. Other than that, he can just shut his yap.

What I want to know is what happened to the 5 mill/year for stadium naming rights. The joint still has no name worth a dime.

Stanton has every right to be pissed. Then again, he seems to be best friends forever with Ramos, not Cishek lol.

Also, read Dunn is on the market as well.

Glad the team is keeping Morris. What a fucking steal that was.

Yeah, screw the best players on the team. Tell us more, Jeffrey.

As a starter, I agree Disco has clearly had problems at the ML level. But he has two strong pitches and the ability to pound the strike zone. The velocity would also likely see an uptick in a one inning role. I would be hesitant to make him a closer off the bat, he needs to prove he can be successful in relief before being put into situations like that, but the make up is there.

Well maybe if Loria had waited on signing a poor TV deal, like the league, commissioners office, and all the other owners advised him to repeatedly, instead of hopping on the first one because the prices were getting ready to shoot up, then he wouldnt have such a bad TV deal.

Waited? You can't do that if you want 150 TV games.

What he might have done instead was a 5 or 6 or 7 year deal, which would have been up for renewal in '10-'11-'12 when things went nuts locally. Instead of a 15-year deal. The 15-year term was a bad idea, the 17 mill/year wasn't bad at the time.

The Dodgers signed a 7-year deal in '13 worth 280 mill/year.

Even HOU gets 80 mill/year. SDP 60. CLE 40.

But, take heart. ATL has an even worse local TV deal that pays somewhere between 10 and 20 mill and doesn't expire until 2027. And 34% of everyones local TV rev goes into a pot that gets split up equally.

I won't wait for you to provide any evidence that the "league, commissioners office, and all the other owners advised him to repeatedly" not do the '05 deal.

Yeah, OK, I get that you can't provide any evidence. Same as always.

Apparently, you're too dense to realize that I agree with you that Loria should have done a 5-6-7-year deal, not a 15-year deal. But, that's just you, foaming and running off at the mouth as usual.