8/1 Post Game

Admin

You're taking the scenario I built out of context. These two hypothetical players hit the same ball at the same velocity to the same fielder, but one runs 0.8 seconds faster. The second player has the obvious advantage to, for instance, beat the same throw to first.

ef943151299fa2b4e8ddaf0e8e53ac68768aafc1b51c625dbdf09eb0b313961e.jpg

Wow, I have finally had someone stand up and agree with me. Thank the fucking lord, once again, I'm not crazy.

I believe there are a few different variations of how xBABIP is generated, and speed rating plays a factor in some peoples versions and not others.

That is exactly why the metric xBABIP was created to factor hard-hit balls and speed.

Look, I'll entertain discussing this with you- but don't ever change the argument mid argument again.

I don't have the patience for it.

Are we discussing BABIP or xBABIP?

Wow, I have finally had someone stand up and agree with me. Thank the fucking lord, once again, I'm not crazy.

I believe there are a few different variations of how xBABIP is generated, and speed rating plays a factor in some peoples versions and not others.

There's no speed factor in the actual formula is what I'm saying. It's just something that you logically apply when evaluating a player and predicting his future. It's also why career .babip's matter when evaluating actual talent level.

All of you need to let this go. When you think about it, you're all right. I apologize wild card is so argumentative. Yes, BABIP only factors in the outcome, but that outcome is certainly dependent on the players speed, how hard the ball is hit, how well it is fielded...etc. Accept you are all right and be friends. You're turning my husband into an angry blogging zombie (more so than usual) and it's ruining my Saturday night! Go fish! :)

Well yeah, but I assume that's the context of the discussion since it started with Dee Gordon.

It started with Dee Gordon?

Speed isn't affecting his BABIP, or even his OBP- it's his lucky rabbits foot.

Lucky rabbits foot that's gift wrapped in dirty pictures of the baseball gods.

All of you need to let this go. When you think about it, you're all right. I apologize wild card is so argumentative. Yes, BABIP only factors in the outcome, but that outcome is certainly dependent on the players speed, how hard the ball is hit, how well it is fielded...etc. Accept you are all right and be friends. You're turning my husband into an angry blogging zombie (more so than usual) and it's ruining my Saturday night! Go fish! :)

d1Z-thats-not-how-it-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

Without a doubt, a player that is faster than another player will on average have the ability to sustain a higher BABIP than the slower player. So yes, speed plays a role in BABIP.

But BABIP does not account for speed, only it's outcome. There is no part of the formula that says "S" or "Speed".

But BABIP does not account for speed, only it's outcome. There is no part of the formula that says "S" or "Speed".

Correct, BABIP is simply the percentage a ball in play results in a hit, nothing to do with speed. But, a speedy player will capitalize on balls put in play more than others, correct?

I don't why you keep repeating this like you made some astute observation when it's really something painfully obvious.