Marlins expected to bump payroll to $75MM for 2015

Piazza31

That doesn't change the fact that we need to trade our valuable chips for a young 1B as badly as we need a blowjob from Rich Waltz. We have a lot more pressing issues than 1B, any combo of Bour/Jensen/Canha should have decent enough success to get by for a while.

I disagree. I think our main priority this off season should be to acquire a middle of the order bat to play first base. I've said before I wouldn't even mind trading Heaney for a middle of the order bat especially @ first base. The only caveat would be that I don't want another stiff to play 1st base regardless of how much he can hit.

We have enough young pitching in my opinion to put together a nice rotation already with the likes of Alvarez ,Fernandez, Cosart & Eovaldi. Plus if you trade Heaney for a young controllable middle of the order bat, you can then go out and spend your resources on a front line starting pitcher if that's what they want to do.

If I were the Marlins FO the first phone call I would make this off season would be to Theo asking him what it would cost to get Rizzo. They have a ton of hitters (it's actually ridiculous) that will be coming up by 2016, and not enough positions to put them in. They are also lacking pitching prospects which we aren't. We would match up great.

Dude is 35 years old and has been a DH for years. He hasn't had too many health problems the last two years, but I would like to point out that he missed ALL of the 2012 season ENTIRELY. Did you miss that?

The guy tore his ACL thats not exactly an injury that shows he can't hold up. Thats usually just planting your foot wrong. If he missed games all the time with a variety of injuries that would be one thing but he missed that one year and came back just as good. He's hit over .300 for every year he has played since 2005 except one

I disagree. I think our main priority this off season should be to acquire a middle of the order bat to play first base. I've said before I wouldn't even mind trading Heaney for a middle of the order bat especially @ first base. The only caveat would be that I don't want another stiff to play 1st base regardless of how much he can hit.

We have enough young pitching in my opinion to put together a nice rotation already with the likes of Alvarez ,Fernandez, Cosart & Eovaldi. Plus if you trade Heaney for a young controllable middle of the order bat, you can then go out and spend your resources on a front line starting pitcher if that's what they want to do.

If I were the Marlins FO the first phone call I would make this off season would be to Theo asking him what it would cost to get Rizzo. They have a ton of hitters (it's actually ridiculous) that will be coming up by 2016, and not enough positions to put them in. They are also lacking pitching prospects which we aren't. We would match up great.

Rizzo would be interesting and obviously great but he isn't going anywhere. The prospects they have are not 1b guys. Pretty much everything else but that. Plus he is young and controllable. I agree with your premise, however, that middle of the order, young, controllable 1b is the top priority. Stanton needs help.

Yea, Rizzo is off limits, and even if he weren't we wouldn't have the firepower to acquire him. That's a pipe dream.

The guy tore his ACL thats not exactly an injury that shows he can't hold up. Thats usually just planting your foot wrong. If he missed games all the time with a variety of injuries that would be one thing but he missed that one year and came back just as good. He's hit over .300 for every year he has played since 2005 except one

I never said he wasn't a great hitter. I just don't think he would be the right fit for the Marlins.

Yea, Rizzo is off limits, and even if he weren't we wouldn't have the firepower to acquire him. That's a pipe dream.

I never said he wasn't a great hitter. I just don't think he would be the right fit for the Marlins.

Can you explain why would you think that besides him tearing his ACL 3 years ago?

Can you explain why would you think that besides him tearing his ACL 3 years ago?

It was two years ago. Do you know how time works? You have little to no concept of it.

He's 35 years old, and getting older. He's been a DH for years. He would be moving to a league that would be more physically demanding, a park that would be more difficult to succeed in, and we would have to meet or beat the offers he would get from AL teams to DH, and that would mean AT LEAST a three-year, $45 Million deal. No thanks.

It was two years ago. Do you know how time works? You have little to know concept of it.

He's 35 years old, and getting older. He's been a DH for years. He would be moving to a league that would be more physically demanding, a park that would be more difficult to succeed in, and we would have to meet or beat the offers he would get from AL teams to DH, and that would mean AT LEAST a three-year, $45 Million deal. No thanks.

I said 3 years based upon next year meaning that would be his 3rd year since the injury. Regardless, this injury has no bearing on him. Its not like it is consistent muscle issues and things like that, he hurt his knee and has been just as good in 2 years since then.

He would be fine at 1b. We have garrett Jones there right now for god sakes and the impact his bat would have on the lineup would greatly out perform the negative effects of him playing 1b.

How about Chris Carter? Houston has got Jon Singleton and a great young OF with Springer, Domingo Santana, and that guy Marisnick.

Maybe a short term deal. Yes, he isn't going to always be mashing homeruns like he has been recently, but I think offensively he could be an upgrade over Jones, althought defensivley he would probably be about the same, with a lot less experience. But nothing that Spring Training can't help him improve with.

I said 3 years based upon next year meaning that would be his 3rd year since the injury. Regardless, this injury has no bearing on him. Its not like it is consistent muscle issues and things like that, he hurt his knee and has been just as good in 2 years since then.

He would be fine at 1b. We have garrett Jones there right now for god sakes and the impact his bat would have on the lineup would greatly out perform the negative effects of him playing 1b.

You're just assuming he stays healthy at 1B because he's been able to stay healthy as a DH. You're also assuming he would remain this productive in Marlins Park until his age 38 season. Those are some silly assumptions...

Rizzo would be interesting and obviously great but he isn't going anywhere. The prospects they have are not 1b guys. Pretty much everything else but that. Plus he is young and controllable. I agree with your premise, however, that middle of the order, young, controllable 1b is the top priority. Stanton needs help.

I don't know if he's that untouchable. They have Baez, Soler, Bryant, Almora, Russell, Alcantara, and Schwarber. Where do you play them all? Either Castro or Rizzo will have to be moved at some point, and I think that Rizzo might get them the bigger return. It's all speculation on my part of course as you aren't guaranteed that all of those prospects will pan out. However, you have to figure that service time and arbitration are going to factor in their decision making and both Castro and Rizzo are going to be expensive much sooner than the prospects.

Anyway, as I said it's all speculation on my part and you may be right that Rizzo won't be available. The main point is that we need to upgrade 1st base.

Edit: I just checked the contracts of both Castillo, and Rizzo on COTs and they both seem to be very team friendly. Can we trade for Theo instead? LOL

You're just assuming he stays healthy at 1B because he's been able to stay healthy as a DH. You're also assuming he would remain this productive in Marlins Park until his age 38 season. Those are some silly assumptions...

No I'm assuming he stays healthy because he hasn't done anything other than stay healthy and I'm not going to assume he will have an injury just because he has to play in the field. Obviously i acknowledge that he might get hurt but I'm not going to assume he will.

Assuming injuries for guys who haven't had huge injury problems in his career other than a freak injury in 2012 is not a good way to run a business.

Injuries happen but I'm not going to assume a guy is going to get injured just because he is older.

And when did Comerica become a hitters haven?

I don't know if he's that untouchable. They have Baez, Soler, Bryant, Almora, Russell, Alcantara, and Schwarber. Where do you play them all? Either Castro or Rizzo will have to be moved at some point, and I think that Rizzo might get them the bigger return. It's all speculation on my part of course as you aren't guaranteed that all of those prospects will pan out. However, you have to figure that service time and arbitration are going to factor in their decision making and both Castro and Rizzo are going to be expensive much sooner than the prospects.

Anyway, as I said it's all speculation on my part and you may be right that Rizzo won't be available. The main point is that we need to upgrade 1st base.

Edit: I just checked the contracts of both Castillo, and Rizzo on COTs and they both seem to be very team friendly. Can we trade for Theo instead? LOL

Ya rizzo isn't going anywhere. I just want like the two worst prospects on that list and id still take that and run.

Rizzo is an animal though. Went to my high school too.

No I'm assuming he stays healthy because he hasn't done anything other than stay healthy and I'm not going to assume he will have an injury just because he has to play in the field. Obviously i acknowledge that he might get hurt but I'm not going to assume he will.

Assuming injuries for guys who haven't had huge injury problems in his career other than a freak injury in 2012 is not a good way to run a business.

Injuries happen but I'm not going to assume a guy is going to get injured just because he is older.

Why wouldn't you assume someone is going to get injured as they get older? That's reality. Especially when you are expecting them to do more, physically, as they get older.

Why wouldn't you assume someone is going to get injured as they get older? That's reality. Especially when you are expecting them to do more, physically, as they get older.

because he's not playing catcher or the outfield, throwing him at 1b and getting his bat in the lineup would be bigger for the team than not signing him at all because he could possibly get injured. Thats not the way i would choose to run my team.

Ya rizzo isn't going anywhere. I just want like the two worst prospects on that list and id still take that and run.

Rizzo is an animal though. Went to my high school too.

It's funny, because I played with/against and watched a lot of the guys from Stoneman Douglas from 06/07, and Rizzo was probably considered the 5th best between him, David Christensen, Joey Hage, Sean Ochinko, and Brandon Holden.

Christensen was the first round pick out of that bunch, and any of us that watched him for years could have told you that was a mistake. That kid had crazy tools but no ability to hit whatsoever.

It's funny, because I played with/against and watched a lot of the guys from Stoneman Douglas from 06/07, and Rizzo was probably considered the 5th best between him, David Christensen, Joey Hage, Sean Ochinko, and Brandon Holden.

Christensen was the first round pick out of that bunch, and any of us that watched him for years could have told you that was a mistake. That kid had crazy tools but no ability to hit whatsoever.

Ya our baseball team, at least when i went, was known for mass steroid use. Probably not Rizzo but ya, we were not a clean team.

Edit- just remembered the kid the marlins picked in the 50th round from douglas like 4 years ago was busted for steroids very shortly after he signed.

Ya our baseball team, at least when i went, was known for mass steroid use. Probably not Rizzo but ya, we were not a clean team.

I heard that about Hage, but not the others. Ochinko would have been caught somewhere between LSU and pro ball so I doubt he used. Holden was never huge, just a big tall pitcher, I'd be surprised there as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Christensen did, he was rather unimpressive physically and then all of a sudden he was a crazy athlete with a cannon arm and great speed. Eh, jokes on us, he became a millionaire for being terrible.

Back on topic, I'm just doing research on free agents and the 2015 class and its hard to get an accurate account on the free agents but it says Adam Laroche is a free agent too and I think he would be a solid cheaper addition for the lineup.

Then trade Cishek for an infielder and maybe sign a starting pitcher.

Edit- just trying to come up with ways to improve the lineup. Can not go into the year again without a plan for the future at 2b as well as both Mcgehee and Jones still in there.

Lou, why would we trade Cishek and/or Eovaldi for a young first baseman when our best major league ready bats are all first base candidates?

Because none of them are going to be good? Seriously over valuing the Marlins prospects if anyone thinks Jensen or Canha is going to be a league average first baseman, especially immediately.

It's a dream scenario for the Marlins to turn Cishek (they can replace 65 IP easily and not pay $7 million for that) and take your pick of Eovaldi/Koehler (I suspect the organization wants to keep Alvarez, Heaney, and Cosart, and the Marlins don't need 6-7 SP with upside considering the absolute mess of depth of infielders in this organization) into two young infielders who are just about MLB ready, and they can match with Realmuto and Romero longterm.

And I don't know who said it, but moving Yelich to 1B is idiotic. Leave the outfield alone.

Because none of them are going to be good? Seriously over valuing the Marlins prospects if anyone thinks Jensen or Canha is going to be a league average first baseman, especially immediately.

It's a dream scenario for the Marlins to turn Cishek (they can replace 65 IP easily and not pay $7 million for that) and take your pick of Eovaldi/Koehler (I suspect the organization wants to keep Alvarez, Heaney, and Cosart, and the Marlins don't need 6-7 SP with upside considering the absolute mess of depth of infielders in this organization) into two young infielders who are just about MLB ready, and they can match with Realmuto and Romero longterm.

And I don't know who said it, but moving Yelich to 1B is idiotic. Leave the outfield alone.

Why is Yelich to 1B idiotic when we have no long term 1B and he recently started playing the OF. Only reason he was in the OF was because he was blocked by Sanchez and Morrison at first.

Why is Yelich to 1B idiotic when we have no long term 1B and he recently started playing the OF. Only reason he was in the OF was because he was blocked by Sanchez and Morrison at first.

None of that is true. He didn't recently start playing OF, he has played OF his entire professional career and was drafted with the intent on being an OFer because wasting his speed at 1B is stupid.

He also ranks as like, the second best LFer in the game behind Alex Gordon this year I believe. So that's a good reason to think moving him to first is stupid. Another is that our back up plan in Jake Marisnick is gone.