Marlins expected to bump payroll to $75MM for 2015

Piazza31

The only comparable player to Martinez is David Ortiz and Ortiz hasn't had a contract longer than two years. You could also make a case that Ortiz keeps getting his contracts because he is, arguably, the face of that (Red Sox) franchise. The Red Sox have actually been reluctant to give him the money and have been going year-to-year with him.

A 36-year-old DH isn't getting 3/45.

I think he will get 3 years from an AL team. If he doesn't he will still get $30+ Mill for 2 years.

You are still alone because of the alternative you are pushing.

I'm not pushing anything. I would be fine with Jones and Baker again. I'd be fine with Bour and Jensen/Canha. I think both of those platoons are acceptable especially considering their cost. I don't see what suggests any of Bour/Jensen/Canha would fail as suggested by you and others, they have all pretty much hit at every level. I'd love Jones/McGehee if they were able to acquire a Sandoval.

This franchise hasn't really had a great 1B since Derrek Lee, and even then people complained. I've learned to accept less than thrilling first basemen.

For what it's worth, I'd be ok with a strict Jones/Baker platoon, as well. A big reason why Jones has sucked is because they've given him too many ab's against lefties.

Suggesting that Martinez isn't a clear upgrade is absurd though.

Nobody would argue that a healthy V-Mart would be a huge upgrade.

The debate is whether the healthy part is accurate and worth the gamble. Our payroll isn't flexible enough for a gamble like that IMO.

I think we just need the upgrade at first, honestly. We don't need a guy that can hit .280 with 15 homers at each position besides first. 5 good bats and 3 other guys that can contribute here and there should be enough.

I would agre with that, but the guys at C, 2B, and SS really dont contribute.

Now you're just arguing to argue. Just the fact that he's 35 and aging logically should tell you he is more of a risk than most.

I'm not. The rumor is that they'd be interested in spending the money on pitching. Signing pitchers long-term when they're in their 30's has proven to be the riskiest investment in the sport.