September 15, 201412 yr http://www.therunnersports.com/2014/09/15/miami-marlins-name-j-t-realmuto-justin-nicolino-organizational-players-year/
September 15, 201412 yr This franchise has a pretty awful record when it comes to drafting and/or developing catchers. I mean it's CJ and what. That said, I feel like JT is going to turn out pretty well.
September 16, 201412 yr This franchise has a pretty awful record when it comes to drafting and/or developing catchers. I mean it's CJ and what. That said, I feel like JT is going to turn out pretty well. Greg Zaun? Mike Redmond?
September 16, 201412 yr Hotcorner besides CJ the next best homegrown catcher was believe it or not our present manager and the most games he ever started in a season for the Marlins was 71 he did play 7 seasons as our backup # 3 on the list was Matt Treanor,,,Not a stellar list at all
September 19, 201412 yr Only a couple of days later, but both Treanor and Zaun were acquired in trades. Scanning the entire history of the Marlins, besides CJ and Red, I found only five catchers developed, six if you want to count Willingham. The other all stars are Brad Davis, Brett Hayes, Jorgy!!!, John Roskos and Skippy! That's pretty sad!
September 20, 201412 yr Even though Treanor was not drafted by the Marlins he did spend 6 years developing in our minor league sytem He played A ball for us his first seaon so that is as close to home grown as it gets, BTW as we know Hammer did not develop as a catcher for us
September 20, 201412 yr Horrible history as it relates to catchers, it's weird considering our first overall pick was CJ and he ended up being a stud for us. Skipworth is the only other 1st rounder ever selected by the Marlins.. BTW I wouldn't count Roskos either because he came up as an Outfielder and 1st baseman, but who cares he only appeared in 37 games for the Marlins in the majors
September 20, 201412 yr In last years draft We did select Blake Anderson in the first round but he has such a long way to go as a prospect, I really like the choice of Roy Morales in the 12 round more than I do Anderson but I have never seen him play. I hope he ends up being all the Marlins see in him. Anderson is suppose to have a rifle for an arm and have great defensive potential. A Big kid with great power potential so lets see what happens
September 20, 201412 yr A little more snooping, Roskos was drafted as catcher, playing primarily there his first few seasons, as I recall he wasn't a good defensive player but had some pop and they moved him around. Hammer on the other hand was a player with some pop and they tried to make him a catcher, where he played his first MLB games, Treanor was in his fourth season when the Marlins picked him up in a trade, true he spent 6 years in the minors for the Marlins, so I would cut some slack on the developing him part! I did see Anderson play this year with the GCL, he's going to need to put on some weight if he's going to hold up the rigors of catching, he's listed at 180, but looked lanky, so maybe if he actually reaches 180-190 he could develop into a solid player as adjusts to professional ball,
September 20, 201412 yr For Clarification Fanofthefish you are correct reference to Hammer in his first 3 seasons as a Marlin He caught 15 games 2004 5 out 8 games 2005 8 out of 9 games 2006 2 out of 137 games He has never caught another game since 2006 Roskos played 10 games in 3 seasons for the Marlins caught 4 innings in 1 game
September 21, 201412 yr Even though Treanor was not drafted by the Marlins he did spend 6 years developing in our minor league sytem He played A ball for us his first seaon so that is as close to home grown as it gets, BTW as we know Hammer did not develop as a catcher for us Hammer made it to MLB as a catcher if I remember correctly. Hatcher too.
September 21, 201412 yr For Clarification Fanofthefish you are correct reference to Hammer in his first 3 seasons as a Marlin He caught 15 games 2004 5 out 8 games 2005 8 out of 9 games 2006 2 out of 137 games He has never caught another game since 2006 Roskos played 10 games in 3 seasons for the Marlins caught 4 innings in 1 game He never caught again due to a back injury. What a shame- I think he would have been fun player to root for behind the plate.
September 21, 201412 yr He never caught again due to a back injury. What a shame- I think he would have been fun player to root for behind the plate. Especially considering how bad of an OFer he was. I did see Anderson play this year with the GCL, he's going to need to put on some weight if he's going to hold up the rigors of catching, he's listed at 180, but looked lanky, so maybe if he actually reaches 180-190 he could develop into a solid player as adjusts to professional ball, Anderson looks like he could be 180, remember, he's like 6'3. You are absolutely right that he needs to bulk up and he's a long way from being anything, but 180 doesn't look wrong to me.
September 21, 201412 yr Especially considering how bad of an OFer he was. Anderson looks like he could be 180, remember, he's like 6'3. You are absolutely right that he needs to bulk up and he's a long way from being anything, but 180 doesn't look wrong to When I saw him he looked like he was thinner than Chris Sale, if he bulks up to a real 190--200 he should be fine
September 27, 201412 yr Only a couple of days later, but both Treanor and Zaun were acquired in trades. Scanning the entire history of the Marlins, besides CJ and Red, I found only five catchers developed, six if you want to count Willingham. The other all stars are Brad Davis, Brett Hayes, Jorgy!!!, John Roskos and Skippy! That's pretty sad! Speaking of, Ryan Jorgensen leased a VW Passat from one of the other Finance Managers I work with earlier this week, he still lives in Miami. I wasn't in when he was here, I would have probably had a convo with him.
September 27, 201412 yr Speaking of, Ryan Jorgensen leased a VW Passat from one of the other Finance Managers I work with earlier this week, he still lives in Miami. I wasn't in when he was here, I would have probably had a convo with him. "Hey, bro, remember when you were a Marlin?" "Yeah, good times." "Remember when you got suspended for PEDs?" "... Yes." "Dude you were so good without them you could have been our starting catcher you're an amazing player." *Spike pops up* "He's really not." *Spike leaves*
September 27, 201412 yr Speaking of, Ryan Jorgensen leased a VW Passat from one of the other Finance Managers I work with earlier this week, he still lives in Miami. I wasn't in when he was here, I would have probably had a convo with him. Mike Shantz?
September 27, 201412 yr "Hey, bro, remember when you were a Marlin?" "Yeah, good times." "Remember when you got suspended for PEDs?" "... Yes." "Dude you were so good without them you could have been our starting catcher you're an amazing player." *Spike pops up* "He's really not." *Spike leaves* Does this include two guys face palming in the background?
October 3, 201412 yr OK, what you're going to do, go to your nearest Winn Dixie ... I don't know who you really are. I don't know what you're going to want. If I'm looking for ransom, I can tell you don't have money. But I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let your Brad Hand Argument go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will drag you to the closest Winn Dixie.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.