Marlins Acquire Aaron Crow

The Marlins have a great Bullpen and Cishek is the glue that keeps it together. I get the feeling that many would prefer a closer who throws gas at 110 mph

Consider this....Cishek problem is that he makes it look too easy.

As a Marlin since 2011 he has 10 blown saves in 101 save opportunities, He is at 91% save% add the 16 holds to his numbers and his effectiveness is even more eye-popping

Compare to Leo Jose Oviedo Nunez who had many more save opportunities in his 3 years as the Marlins closer had an 81% save rate

Prior to Nunez/Oviedo our closer was Kevin Gregg 2007-2008 with 62 saves with save% rate of 82%

2006 Joe Borowski was our closer with 36 saves His save rate was almost 84%

2005 Todd Jones had a great season with 40 saves However his save rate 88%

You have to go all the way back to 2004 season to Armando Benitez and his

47 saves and save rate of 92.2% to find a Marlin who has been more reliable as a closer

2003 Braden Looper....82% save rate

2002 Vladimir Nunez.....71% (Looper had 13 saves 81%)

2001 Antonio Alfonseca...82%

In 2000 Alfonseca had a incredible season

45 saves 91.8 save rate

1999 Antonio Alfonseca...84% (Matt Mantei had 10 saves 83%)

1998 Closer by committee Mantei 9 saves 75% / Alfonseca 8 saves 57%

1997 Robb Nen.......83% (My all time favorite Closer)

1996 Robb Nen.......83%

1995 Robb Nen......79%

1994 Robb Nen 15 saves 100% / Jeremy Hernandez 9 saves 75% / Bryan Harvey 6 saves 100%

1993 Bryan Harvey 45 saves 91.8% save rate

If I were Hills/Jennings it would take an awful lot to get me to trade Cishek

I get the feeling that many would prefer a closer who throws gas at 110 MPH

No. I honestly think that most people's problem with him stem from the almost 7 million that he is going to make in arb next year. That's completely impractical when the team budget is 65 million. I love the guy but it's a business decision in my opinion.

I remember saying this last year... All this talk about save rates and his salary make perfect sense but they're pretty irrelevant... What is relevant is that for a team attempting to make a serious run, this FO really values a lock down closer to preserve wins for what is still a young team. They said after the 2013 debacle that a young team can't afford the gutwrenching losses that come from a blown save. They said it had something to do with building confidence. Whether we agree with it or not, unless there's some mega deal that can't be refused I see no way they trade Cishek.

If they kept him going into a 2014 season where we came off a hundred losses and had no sure chance to even be at .500, they'll keep him going into a season where contention is possible. Again, unless a blow away offer comes up.

Would be cool if Crow had a turnaround similar to Morris.

His velocity was down this year. 2011, 2012, and 2013, Crow's fastball had an average low [excluding Octobers and Marches] of 95.09 [August 2011]. In 2014, his average high was 93.75 [July]. His change-up velocity stayed the same. Could explain the jump in ERA, couldn't get hitters off their timing as well. Slider was a little slower, but that can be negligible - the extra movement from less velocity could help sometimes.

Something was off with him. His fastball and slider velocities were down. Was he a little injured? I can't say it was overuse, he averaged 58 innings per season from 2011 to 2013. K/9 was drastically reduced.

At least we were able to ... buy low? I guess?