Sign in to follow this  
Michael

7/31 Post Travesty

King Kullen is a northern market, WD isn't in the North so Piazza was trying to include me.

Don't know if it's been posted or not but here's a side by side pic of a play at the plate that Melky Cabrera was called out upon review. This rule is stupid.

Posted Image

Don't know if it's been posted or not but here's a side by side pic of a play at the plate that Melky Cabrera was called out upon review. This rule is stupid.

Posted Image

It's not the rules fault. The umps in NY just fucked up.

Where is the ball in the second picture?

It doesn't really matter because in both it isn't in the catcher's glove yet. Mathis clearly moved into the lane to field the ball later on as did the Reds' catcher.

I definitely agree that this was a bullshit call and think that the rule should be abolished to prevent stuff like this from happening, but I'm under the impression that the positioning of Mathis' left leg is the culprit here. Again, I'm not saying that the call is right, but the umpires probably considered the leg to be deliberately blocking the runner's path and not in a position necessary to catch the ball.

The body language of Mathis (particularly that left leg) looks more like a blocking position than a fielding position to me.

I definitely agree that this was a bullshit call and think that the rule should be abolished to prevent stuff like this from happening, but I'm under the impression that the positioning of Mathis' left leg is the culprit here. Again, I'm not saying that the call is right, but the umpires probably considered the leg to be deliberately blocking the runner's path and not in a position necessary to catch the ball.

The body language of Mathis (particularly that left leg) looks more like a blocking position than a fielding position to me.

Good observation but when Mathis' left leg goes into that blocking position doesn't he already have the ball? If so, once the catcher is in possession of the ball he can do whatever he wants. So in that case even ur observation is moot.

That's what gets me here. Every single possible scenario that could explain the call can be fairly easily negated. There's no way this was the right call.

No, I don't think so. Watch from about 2:30 here.

http://miami.marlins.mlb.com/news/article/mia/obstruction-rule-leads-to-overturn-reds-tying-run-in-win-over-marlins?ymd=20140731&content_id=87347952&vkey=news_mia

In the freeze frame they show, Mathis isn't giving much of a lane with the positioning of his left leg and it doesn't seem like his leg needs to be there in order to field the ball properly.

Again, this is bullshit, but I think it's mostly because the rule is stupid and the throw beat Cozart by about 12 feet. If Mathis catches the ball cleanly, he has about 0% chance of reaching the plate without being tagged first.