Marlins Acquire Dee Gordon for Andrew Heaney

Pretty predictable response from you.

You watch the Marlins closely than most so you like to think they are better than what they are. If you weren't a Marlins fan you might think of Cosart as an inconsistent pitcher who has had control issues his entire career before finishing with a good ERA in 10 starts last season. Small sample size.

Latos is a one year rental and I think it was a good pickup, but I didn't exactly factor it into the 'young, controllable talent' discussion.

Eovaldi is a hard thrower who got hit around last season and I don't think most teams would factor him in as a top three starter.

Henderson fits well in Marlins Park and I actually believe he is a solid, No.3 type. But he's not enviable young talent.

It's something that gets overstated, is all I'm saying. I love the young outfield. Stanton and Fernandez and maybe Yelich give you three superstar types. It's very top loaded though.

Infield is hot trash, minors is hot trash, and starting pitching is Jose, a no.3 and backend guys we call 'depth' to be nice.

image.jpg

Our core of young talent is very good. Compare to the rest of baseball and you'll see that not many teams can match it.

You can say it's just the OF and Fernandez, but how many teams have that? There is no team in the big leagues with a roster full of core players.

Even the best teams build around, at most, a handful of players with everyone else being rather replaceable.

The problem the past couple of years is that we haven't surrounded this young talent with the right veterans.

Our core of young talent is very good. Compare to the rest of baseball and you'll see that not many teams can match it.

You can say it's just the OF and Fernandez, but how many teams have that? There is no team in the big leagues with a roster full of core players.

Even the best teams build around, at most, a handful of players with everyone else being rather replaceable.

The problem the past couple of years is that we haven't surrounded this young talent with the right veterans.

I'll take it.

This is exactly what Ive been saying. You can fairly say our great young talent isnt the whole team but we have way more than most teams and most would kill for what we have.

They haven't paid for anyone. Yeah they've missed on some guys but when you're shopping off the sale rack the selection is limited.

Still waiting to see them spend some money.

Exactly. Their payroll with Latos is at like $45m or so

Well, to be fair, there really aren't many guys to throw money to at the positions (1st & 3rd) that need upgrading the most. Headley and LaRoche were pretty much it. They did make an offer to LaRoche and from all accounts they were in on Headley until the price was too high. I'd rather them not just throw money around for the sake of it.

In addition they were able to address an upgrade at 2nd base and add that veteran starter that they were looking for and managed to save money at the same time. Can't blame them for that. Heaney was going in the deal regardless so the extra cash cost us Hatcher, Barnes, & Kiki. Barnes & Kiki play second base where Dee Gordon will be taking over, and Hatcher although a nice relief pitcher of which I am a fan of, is easily replaceable with Capps, Morris, Dyson, etc.

Let's just be patient and see if they can add that big bat for one of the corners. That can make the off season go from very good to great if they can do that regardless of how much or how little they are spending.