Where Do We Go From Here?

I do love it when people use past stats to prove how players are going to perform in the future. If, at the start of the 2013 season I'd have said come 2015, Marcell Ozuna would be our regular, reliable CFer, I would have been Godzilla-facepalmed off the board. Similarly, if in 2005 I'd have said that Jeremy Hermida's ML career would be a complete non-event and dead and buried by 2011 ...

You can speculate by using stats, but when it comes to future projections, they don't prove anything.

This is a really idiotic thing to say. Yes, sometimes players actually underperform or overperform with respect to their statistic projections, but that doesn't mean that projections are intrinsically flawed and should be ignored.

Also, for what it's worth, the ZiPS projections for Ozuna were actually pretty accurate before the 2014 season. They just unerestimated the amount of playing time that he would receive.

I do love it when people use past stats to prove how players are going to perform in the future. If, at the start of the 2013 season I'd have said come 2015, Marcell Ozuna would be our regular, reliable CFer, I would have been Godzilla-facepalmed off the board. Similarly, if in 2005 I'd have said that Jeremy Hermida's ML career would be a complete non-event and dead and buried by 2011 ...

You can speculate by using stats, but when it comes to future projections, they don't prove anything.

What you said about Ozuna isn't true. Ozuna was our regular CF'er the year before so not sure why you would've been laughed at for saying that.

As for Hermida, you probably would've been applauded since most people on this board hated him.

What you said about Ozuna isn't true. Ozuna was our regular CF'er the year before so not sure why you would've been laughed at for saying that.

As for Hermida, you probably would've been applauded since most people on this board hated him.

Check your stats, stat-boy. Our starting CF in 2013 was Ruggiano. Ozuna came in to replace Stanton in RF, then moved to CF for 33 games before he got injured. We saw out 2013 with Marisnick, who was projected to be our regular CF in the not-so-distant future.

This is a really idiotic thing to say. Yes, sometimes players actually underperform or overperform with respect to their statistic projections, but that doesn't mean that projections are intrinsically flawed and should be ignored.

Is English your first language? I said you cannot PROVE future projections of players, ONLY speculate.

Some people on here are already talking about Dee Gordon's shitty Marlins career in the past tense.

Check your stats, stat-boy. Our starting CF in 2013 was Ruggiano. Ozuna came in to replace Stanton in RF, then moved to CF for a few games before he got injured. We saw out 2013 with Marisnick, who was projected to be our regular CF in the not-so-distant future.

Ozuna started 33 games in CF in 2013, most of which came later in the year. It was pretty clear late in the season that Ruggiano was not a part of the Marlins future, and even clearer when he was traded in the offseason.

Ozuna was the favorite to win the CF spot out of Spring Training so I'm not sure why you would've been Godzilla-facepalmed in your scenario. Marisnick was in the competition too, but there were always questions about his bat, specifically on this board.

Is English your first language? I said you cannot PROVE future projections of players, ONLY speculate.

Some people on here are already talking about Dee Gordon's shitty Marlins career in the past tense.

I agree with you. I think that we should give Dee a chance. If he does what he did last year, we'll all be happy.

I think Erick and Jack are confusing their own argument. Jack said if we thought before the start of 13 that Ozuna would be our CF in 15 no one would believe us and Erick said that Ozuna was the regular CF the year before that would have been 2012 when Ozuna didn't play at all.

In 13 Ozuna was brought in to replace Stanton and then Marisnick was brought in once Ozuna hurt his thumb.

It was 14 that Ozuna and Marisnick had a ST competition which Marisnick did better in but Ozuna was still given the spot.

I think what ur arguing probably still fits but somewhere along the line the facts are wrong and it's making my head hurt.

Ozuna started 33 games in CF in 2013, most of which came later in the year. It was pretty clear late in the season that Ruggiano was not a part of the Marlins future, and even clearer when he was traded in the offseason.

Ozuna was the favorite to win the CF spot out of Spring Training so I'm not sure why you would've been Godzilla-facepalmed in your scenario. Marisnick was in the competition too, but there were always questions about his bat, specifically on this board.

What the hell are you babbling on about? I said " If, at the start of the 2013 season I'd have said come 2015, Marcell Ozuna would be our regular, reliable CFer, I would have been Godzilla-facepalmed off the board."

At the start of the 2013 season Ozuna was still in AA (I think), and was behind Ruggiano, Marisnick and possibly even Coghlan for the CF role.

Is this "National I Can't Read English Day" and I missed the memo?

That has very little to do with statistical projections anyway, which is why you really aren't making a point here. People were actually pretty high on Ozuna before the 2013 season. If nobody foresaw him as being a starter in 2015 that has more to do with the state of organizational depth chart and the simple fact that it's silly to firmly think about starting positions 2 years in advance because injuries or even minor personnel moves can shake that up in an instant.

This is probably a pipe dream, but if the Rays are listening on Longoria the Marlins should at least make a call and see what it would take to get it done. The problem is that I don't think we have enough to get it done. It would have to include Kolek for sure, and a couple more from Nicolino, Romero, etc.

From the MLB team everyone that is not Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton, or Fernandez should be available as well. Alvarez, Cosart, Eovaldi, Cishek, etc should all be in play. The point is we should be all in on Longo with that friendly contract and his production.

This is probably a pipe dream, but if the Rays are listening on Longoria the Marlins should at least make a call and see what it would take to get it done. The problem is that I don't think we have enough to get it done. It would have to include Kolek for sure, and a couple more from Nicolino, Romero, etc.

From the MLB team everyone that is not Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton, or Fernandez should be available as well. Alvarez, Cosart, Eovaldi, Cishek, etc should all be in play. The point is we should be all in on Longo with that friendly contract and his production.

Kolek can't be dealt until June.

Yeah Longoria isn't being traded so any talk of that is just stupid. We don't have the pieces to get him anyway. Most teams don't have the pieces to get a player like Longo.

There's talking pipe dream scenarios and then there's just talking nonsense. This falls more in line with nonsense.

It would have to include Kolek for sure

If I recall correctly, we can't trade Kolek until after this coming years draft.

However, yeah, it'd take a bit, UNLESS we offered to take the rest of the contract. Could probably get him for a little less than you'd think but not too much.

You could include Kolek in the deal as a PTBNL. Its exactly what the Nats did in the 3 team deal with the Pads and Rays.

For Longo, I might be inclined make Yelich and Ozuna available as well. Obviously there wouldn't be a whole helluva lot more i would include if the Rays insisted on one of them.

For Longo, I might be inclined make Yelich and Ozuna available as well. Obviously there wouldn't be a whole helluva lot more i would include if the Rays insisted on one of them.

Aaaaaaabsolutely not.

Yeah Longoria isn't being traded so any talk of that is just stupid. We don't have the pieces to get him anyway. Most teams don't have the pieces to get a player like Longo.

There's talking pipe dream scenarios and then there's just talking nonsense. This falls more in line with nonsense.

Signing Stanton to a 13 year $325 million dollar deal is nonsense too you schmuck! Oh wait, that did happen.

The Rays just lost another round in their recent attempt to secure a new stadium. The owner is threatening to sell the team. They just traded away a very promising young player that was making a lot less than Longo for no other apparent reason than to just get younger. Some sort of rebuild is most likely to happen as the writing is on the wall.

I acknowledged from the start how unlikely it would be for us to get him but that doesn't mean that he isn't available for the right price.