Where Do We Go From Here?

Your argument is rather irrelevant with Gordon leading off. His speed makes that point not only moot, but it kind of makes his batting second a strength by creating hit and run opportunities or unintentionally advancing the runner because Gordon has the speed to break up any double play opportunity and make it s fielders choice. That's assuming he isn't already on second via stolen base.

I agree with most of your points, but I think the biggest reason I put Gordon 2nd is because of the guy in the dugout. I'd rather see Gordon sac bunt Yelich over than Yelich bunt Gordon over. If you have to take the bat out of one of their hands, let's make it the inferior hitter who just happens to be the one more likely to beat out the bunt for a hit.

That being said, if I were managing a team, none of my position players would sac bunt. Even pitchers wouldn't be automatically giving themselves up unless they were hopeless in the batter's box.

I agree with most of your points, but I think the biggest reason I put Gordon 2nd is because of the guy in the dugout. I'd rather see Gordon sac bunt Yelich over than Yelich bunt Gordon over. If you have to take the bat out of one of their hands, let's make it the inferior hitter who just happens to be the one more likely to beat out the bunt for a hit.

That being said, if I were managing a team, none of my position players would sac bunt. Even pitchers wouldn't be automatically giving themselves up unless they were hopeless in the batter's box.

Your second paragraph is exactly why I would bat McGehee second and move the rest down a spot. Higher OBP high contact low strikeout guy hitting behind Gordon is ideal. The fact that he isnt a great hunter doesn't matter because Gordon doesn't need to be bunted over; he takes the base all on his own.

Your second paragraph is exactly why I would bat McGehee second and move the rest down a spot. Higher OBP high contact low strikeout guy hitting behind Gordon is ideal. The fact that he isnt a great hunter doesn't matter because Gordon doesn't need to be bunted over; he takes the base all on his own.

I know it's an autocorrect/typo thing, but still:

Casey McGehee, mediocre baseball player, mediocre hunter.

Batting order isn't all about speed and stolen bases. Over 162 games, the 1/2 hitter will get about 100 more PA than the number 7 hitter. Dee Gordon's bat and OBP ability aren't good enough to give him that many extra plate appearances.

Batting order isn't all about speed and stolen bases. Over 162 games, the 1/2 hitter will get about 100 more PA than the number 7 hitter. Dee Gordon's bat and OBP ability aren't good enough to give him that many extra plate appearances.

Based on last year you are absolutely wrong.

For the record, if leading off was all about bat and OBP every team would have their Stanton batting first. I agree that giving 600 plate appearances to one guy means it's very important who you choose... But there's other things involved. Speed is one if those things, and the pressure that Gordon brings adds value to the top of a lineup.

McGehee's prevalence for double plays would make him a bad fit for that #2 spot. Breaking up lefties is more important when it involves power hitters or guys with rough platoon splits. Yelich and Gordon both hit lefties fine, so teams bringing in lefty relievers to face them won't be an issue. McGehee should ideally hit somewhere further down the lineup. Here's what I would do if I had the opportunity:

Yelich

Gordon

Stanton

Morse

Ozuna

McGehee

Salty

Hech

I like having McGehee hit sixth, after Morse and Ozuna. I think it will take some pressure off of him and let him hit more for contact rather than overswinging and turning over and rolling into DPs.

I wonder if ol' Red will see it the same.

I like having McGehee hit sixth, after Morse and Ozuna. I think it will take some pressure off of him and let him hit more for contact rather than overswinging and turning over and rolling into DPs.

I wonder if ol' Red will see it the same.

Red will probably have Salty bunt if McGehee gets on base so that Hech can pop out or ground out softly.

~~Just Redmond Things~~

Red will probably have Salty bunt if McGehee gets on base so that Hech can pop out or ground out softly.

~~Just Redmond Things~~

Idk why everyone gets on Red so much for bunting. He bunts in normal situations, and he does it consistently in the same specific situations, not just at random. I think the majority of those situations that Stanton was IBB after a sacrifice led to runs scored.

It's not like he was constantly suicide squeezing with Yelich on third and Stanton up with no outs.

Idk why everyone gets on Red so much for bunting. He bunts in normal situations, and he does it consistently in the same specific situations, not just at random. I think the majority of those situations that Stanton was IBB after a sacrifice led to runs scored.

It's not like he was constantly suicide squeezing with Yelich on third and Stanton up with no outs.

Statistically, you are somewhat significantly more likely to score a run with a runner on first and no outs than with a runner on second and one out. This is especially true if you take the at bat from a good hitter like Christian Yelich. While Redmond isn't Ned "Fuck Logic" Yost, he still is way too "by the book" and makes a lot of moves that have been proven over and over again to be the wrong ones. Remember that just because something works once in a while that doesn't mean that it was the best option every time. Giancarlo Stanton is the best player on our team. Opening up a base for him by bunting with the #2 hitter doesn't only take the bat out of the #2 hitter's hands and gift the opposing team an out, it also limits Giancarlo to one base.

For the record, if leading off was all about bat and OBP every team would have their Stanton batting first. I agree that giving 600 plate appearances to one guy means it's very important who you choose... But there's other things involved. Speed is one if those things, and the pressure that Gordon brings adds value to the top of a lineup.

based on two months last year. Gordon's career outside of those are not pretty. You continue to ignore sample size and take statistical aberrations at face value, defying all common logic

based on two months last year. Gordon's career outside of those are not pretty. You continue to ignore sample size and take statistical aberrations at face value, defying all common logicpos

Is positive progression not important? Above average minor league numbers, two years figuring out the major league game while playing two positions, third year at 2b full time and an all-star appearance. Seems like a he's on the right track. Inexpensive and if he can figure out getting on base at a higher clip (which many players do) great upside for a second baseman.

Is positive progression not important? Above average minor league numbers, two years figuring out the major league game while playing two positions, third year at 2b full time and an all-star appearance. Seems like a he's on the right track. Inexpensive and if he can figure out getting on base at a higher clip (which many players do) great upside for a second baseman.

Well said. This.

Prove this.

Also, batting order opitmization is not only about PAs, but that matters. You want to have a balance between high OBP guys at the top of the order (which Gordon does not count as) and the power guys concentrated closer to 3/4. But you do want to be mindful of the number of ABs per player as well and strike a balance.

I do love it when people use past stats to prove how players are going to perform in the future. If, at the start of the 2013 season I'd have said come 2015, Marcell Ozuna would be our regular, reliable CFer, I would have been Godzilla-facepalmed off the board. Similarly, if in 2005 I'd have said that Jeremy Hermida's ML career would be a complete non-event and dead and buried by 2011 ...

You can speculate by using stats, but when it comes to future projections, they don't prove anything.

Completely off current topic but you have to believe that if the Rays are willing to trade Myers, they would be willing to at least listen on any player. I wonder what it would take for them to listen on Longoria? My guess is Cosart or Alvarez to start. Wonder if Cosart, McGhee, and 1 or 2 top prospects does it?