McGehee Traded to Giants

so marlins trying to do marlins reunion we have Luis Castillo back so get see play marlins new ball park he last play here at old place never got play new home or this other Luis Castillo???

Es un pitcher novato de las menores de los gigantes de san francisco. No es el Luis Castillo de el 2003. Ese ya se retiro hace unos años atras.

Also because A LOT of the casual fans are morons

It's this. Those who only go by the word of Rich and Tommy... Or maybe even less than them. And I love Richard and Thomas for what they do but fans gotta learn to read passed their homerism. Either that or they just gotta sign up to these boards.

*past. C'mon, man.

Also because A LOT of the casual fans are morons

If there are casual fans that are misinformed it's because they simply don't care enough to know. The Marlins don't have the following of the Dolphins or Heat, and with good reason.

I'm happy more people are talking about the Fish, there is a small window for them to grab some of Miami's attention.

That's to be expected after the Marlins marketing team and the TV/radio broadcasters went so overboard in touting McGehee as the second coming of Babe Ruth during the ASG campaign last season.

That's what they are supposed to do...Why would you have a problem with the team hyping their guy for the ASG? Besides, it was great story and he legitimately deserved it for the first half he had. Plus, he's a likeable guy....But that doesn't change the fact that Prado is an upgrade.

That's to be expected after the Marlins marketing team and the TV/radio broadcasters went so overboard in touting McGehee as the second coming of Babe Ruth during the ASG campaign last season.

That's what they are supposed to do...Why would you have a problem with the team hyping their guy for the ASG? Besides, it was great story and he legitimately deserved it for the first half he had. Plus, he's a likeable guy....But that doesn't change the fact that Prado is an upgrade.

They are supposed to promote their guy but not go full retard over him and ignore the BABIP-induced outlier that was the first half of the season. They also promoted and ingrained the important of trivial stats like batting average and RBIs into the minds of the casual fans.

They are supposed to promote their guy but not go full retard over him and ignore the BABIP-induced outlier that was the first half of the season. They also promoted and ingrained the important of trivial stats like batting average and RBIs into the minds of the casual fans.

No...the team should be promoting their guy...period. Of all things to take issue with, why would this be it? Teams have these corny All Star campaigns all the time. Not everything in baseball needs to be driven by advanced stats all the time. If the team wants to go all out to promote their player and try to get fans to rally around him, who cares? It's meant to be fun.

I'm not saying that the Marlins are doing anything atypical in their promotion. I'm explaining why the casual fans are losing their shit on Twitter. It's because everyone (primarily Rich and Tommy) built him up into the second coming of Babe Ruth and not someone with marginal trade value.

But is it the announcers that promote the casual fans mentality of valuing RBIs and being a "winner" or are they simply catering to their audience?

I don't think Tommy is too up to date on sabermetrics and Rich is just the play by play voice, so I vote fans and them think alike

Can we trade Rich?

Yea but I wouldn't. He's still cost controlled for years, he just hit announcer arbitration last season. Besides, he might not have the ideal range for his position but his tvWAR is actually above league average despite what penguino spouts out about him.

I think that I'd prefer people like Rich and Tommy over some sabremetrics guy with an inflated ego that probably wouldn't shut the fuck up ranting about how the lineup isn't optimal or how the Marlins should have never traded for so and so. It's entertainment.

I think that I'd prefer people like Rich and Tommy over some sabremetrics guy with an inflated ego that probably wouldn't shut the fuck up ranting about how the lineup isn't optimal or how the Marlins should have never traded for so and so. It's entertainment.

Good point. I mean when Hechavarria hits a grand slam off Hall of Fame level Roy Halladay, I don't mind getting excited like Hech is the second coming of Babe Ruth.

I love Rich and Rich loves MB. Quit hating.

I'm actually a huge Rich Waltz fan myself. He seems much more open to advanced statistics than Tommy is or other play by play guys are. He throws stuff like WAR and UZR into the conversation sometimes.

I also sense that deep down Rich believes in advanced stats but has to repress some of it because he knows that it will go over the heads of the casual fans who make up most of the viewing audience.

This is my gut feeling, though.