I would sign Shields. The contract won't be massive, and it gives us insurance if Latos walks next year. The rotation in 2016 looks like total shit as it stands.

Fernandez

Alvarez

Cosart

Shit 1

Shit 2

I wouldn't call Latos shit

Sorry Too Much Champaign Happy New Years All

I would sign Shields. The contract won't be massive, and it gives us insurance if Latos walks next year. The rotation in 2016 looks like total shit as it stands.

Fernandez

Alvarez

Cosart

Shit 1

Shit 2

I wouldn't call Latos shit

He was saying, "if Latos walks ..." then we'd have shit 1 shit 2.

To those of you wanting Scherzer, consider once again a simple fact. The Marlins will never have a payroll like the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, etc. If they ink a guy like Scherzer for about $200 million, it pretty much guarantees that Fernandez will NOT be signed long term. You'd effectively be choosing Scherzer over Fernandez.

Marlins still have great pitching depth in their Organization

Nicolino, Urena, Jarlin and even Conley

Someone will begin asserting themselves by the end of this upcoming season

I would not rule out Hand and/or Koehler

Hand was pitching very well by season's end for the Marlins he was starting to look like what we all wanted him to be in 2013 when we were counting on him as a top starting prospect.

Big Salad has done nothing but get better in that 5th starter spot. I really believe that no team in the majors looks forward to hitting him when he is due in the rotation, he was one of the best 5th starter in the majors last season, and is still improving.

Pitching-wise we are OK , bringing in another starter is a luxery even if Latos pursues free-agency

Phelps is going to make a nice transition from Yankee Stadium and the AL East and will be quite a bit better than most of you have in mind.

Koehler and Cosart can regress and we can still be good. The key for this rotation is HEALTH, not talent. If they stay healthy this team will make the post season. If not, you're counting on Hand (who's not the worst but a wild card) and Nicolino (complete wild card) to get you there.

Shields would be a great acquisition and it allows us the depth to make certain we're competitive. But if they stay healthy and stand pat we should be fine.

Wild Card I was going to get you a book that I thought might help you understand the game of baseball better, but damn it...even the books for kids aged 3-5, such as the First Base Hero pop up book and The Berenstain Bears Go Out For The Team, are so far above your knowledge level I just would not have felt comfortable getting you a gift that you would have no hope of understanding.

I hope you had a happy holidays nonetheless.

I'm interested in seeing what Alvarez does next year. A lot of folks seem to think its a given he's going to have similar numbers next year.

He has about 300 IP of really good baseball with us. I don't see why things should change dramatically for him in 2015. I'm hoping/expecting he keeps that ERA around 3.00 or so and improves his k rate to 6 or 7...

I don't really disagree about Phelps, although saying a pitcher will improve going from Yankee stadium to marlins park is not a stretch or bold prediction. Just enjoy pointing out your extreme lack of baseball knowledge.

I don't really disagree about Phelps, although saying a pitcher will improve going from Yankee stadium to marlins park is not a stretch or bold prediction. Just enjoy pointing out your extreme lack of baseball knowledge.

Pointing out my extreme lack of baseball knowledge? You literally, in the same paragraph, just pointed out something I said that displays some sort of baseball knowledge.

In the post of mine that you chose to use as your example for "my lack if baseball knowledge", what is it that I said that was so far fetched? You just agreed with me about Phelps, so what was it? I think we are all interested to hear why you're so smart.

I'm so sick of Harens shit. Grow up already. If it bothers you so much then just retire and stop dicking everyone around.

I don't think it is him needing to grow up. The marlins knew of this and decided to trade for him anyway. HE can want to be with his family. That shouldn't be an issue. The marlins are dumb if they were counting on him to pitch for them or all of a sudden change his mind about only wanting to pitch in southern california. He isn't dicking anyone around.

I'm so sick of Harens shit. Grow up already. If it bothers you so much then just retire and stop dicking everyone around.

I don't think it is him needing to grow up. The marlins knew of this and decided to trade for him anyway. HE can want to be with his family. That shouldn't be an issue. The marlins are dumb if they were counting on him to pitch for them or all of a sudden change his mind about only wanting to pitch in southern california. He isn't dicking anyone around.

I disagree. It's a business, he's a veteran. He should make a decision and be done with it. Have you ever seen another player create a situation like this before and drag it out for weeks? It's kind of ridiculous.

I disagree. It's a business, he's a veteran. He should make a decision and be done with it. Have you ever seen another player create a situation like this before and drag it out for weeks? It's kind of ridiculous.

Hes not dragging it out for weeks. He's not pitching here and the marlins are trying to trade him. that is what is being waited on, not his decision of whether he is going to be pitching here or not. He made his decision before he was even traded here.

Haren is dumb, he should play the 1 year in the pitcher friendly confines of Marlins Park. Beef his stats up a bit and trick some idiot GM next off-season into giving him a raise.

Force him to retire because we have zero leverage in a trade anyway and would have to send over some of that LA money.

LA screwed him over, not the Marlins.

Disagree. Marlins have plenty of leverage in cost savings to other teams. For instance

CJ Wilson makes $38 million the next two seasons and Angels would love to get out of that. The Marlins would surely value CJ as at least a $12 million a year player given their prior interest in him 2012 off season, current FA market (Peavy got the same deal), that he is a lefty, and vocal "leader" type.

Do a clean swap of Haren for CJ, and have the Angels send over $14 million over next two years.

Angels get a year of Haren, and save $14 million dollars ($38 minus $14 to Marlins and $10 to Haren)

Marlins effectively swap Haren's salary this year for CJ, and add CJ for $14 million next year. Overall, a 2/$24 deal sort of thing. No one is pissed if that were to happen in free agency.

Can even throw in a Dyson/Conley type or two to the Angels to sweeten it a bit. Everyone is happy. Marlins get the # 3 veteran SP they need (and a lefty) and Angels get a suitable replacement for a year and save legitimate money to devote elsewhere (and maybe get some club controlled backend relievers/bench guys).

Likewise, SD is also a target with Kennedy ($9+), Venable ($4.25), Maybin (2/$16), and others who are free agents at the end of the year and/or SD don't necessarily need. Certainly match up opportunities there.

Let alone, attach Cishek to Haren, and someone will take Haren off their hands to get 3 years of Cishek at surprisingly reasonable contract levels in arbitration based on the recent insane RP contracts being dished out.