Red Firing Pool

​I agree that they should get someone better, but would they actually do it? The fact that they kept Redmond this year after the compete over haul to the roster makes me wonder if they would. They bring in all this talent (at least on paper) but keep what has already proven to be at best a mediocre manager to run it

No, I don't think they would do this unless the team had a stretch where it went like 2-18 or something or whatever happened in 2011.

It's unfortunate that the team let Edwin Rodriguez resign for reasons that really weren't his fault.

​Ya, it was called Jeffrey Loria at his tyrrannical worse.

This is what Loria does. He fires managers and often for stupid reasons at stupid times. (that and hires managers often for stupid reasons)

Loria wanting to re-create 2003 constantly is slightly humerous.

It's not very hard to find someone who is well liked by the players.

Firing Redmond of course wouldn't turn anything around, but I do estimate that having a manager who is much more skilled at optimizing match-ups (pinch hitting or relief) among other things, would at least have some tangible positive impact on the team's final record.

Except they would just hire somebody like Redmond, as they always have. So firing him won't help anything there.

It's unfortunate that the team let Edwin Rodriguez resign for reasons that really weren't his fault.

​He should have found a way to win even though our starting 3b that year was Greg Dobbs and both Hanley and JJ were hurt

Only manager we've had that I actually liked :\

Except they would just hire somebody like Redmond, as they always have. So firing him won't help anything there.

True, I guess, but there are some outliers (Edwin mainly). I'm not a Fredi fan, but Ozzie and Redmond are the only egregiously bad managerial hires they've made.

But yeah, anyone they're likely to bring in won't provide a substantial boost. I'd support replacing Redmond with McKeon, though.

True, I guess, but there are some outliers (Edwin mainly). I'm not a Fredi fan, but Ozzie and Redmond are the only egregiously bad managerial hires they've made.

That is pretty fair. Both Fredi and Girardi weren't anywhere near this level even if I didn't like them.

Andy Haines (NO manager) is apparently a very highly touted managerial prospect. I don't really know anything about him, but if he comes up and is cool like Edwin, that'd be awesome. But if we fire Redmond, I severely doubt we go "prospect."

Red blows. I love Jack but please no more Jack. I wouldn't be against Leyland. Knowing Loria though I'm pretty confident I won't like any decision he makes with hiring a manager if it comes to that. And as bad as Redmond is, the players just aren't getting it done. Top two pitchers out and this lineup just isn't clicking yet(hopefully). Bad deal all the way around, just a real shitastic start to the season. I feel like it's already done and it's hardly been three weeks old.

​Ozzie and Redmond were bad hires in the first place.

Dude this is such a hindsight is 20/20 comment. Would you care to actually elaborate on it?

In 2011, Edwin resigned and Jack was clearly not here for the long haul. Ozzie has always been a brash loudmouth but he's also been successful. Ozzie was free to leave the White Sox and we wanted a big name manager to go with our massive rebranding. There's no way to really predict the 2012 team would be such a disaster and you can't blame the Castro comments. How was hiring Ozzie in October of 2011 a bad move?

Now since the Ozzie move eventually did not work out it was time to go with a more low-key player and media friendly manager to groom the emerging 2013-14 Marlins who were going to have some serious growing pains. After Mike Matheny and Robin Ventura had some success, it wasn't out of the blue to hire a manager with limited to no major league experience. Redmond, the definition of a what we needed as far as getting away from what Ozzie was, at least had two successful minor league managing seasons. And with everyone who actually knew him always calling him a good future manager, why not give him a shot especially when we knew 2013 would be a wash in the standings? Despite what he eventually showed as far as in game decisions... How was hiring Redmond in October of 2012 a bad move?

Stability or not, Loria cannot allow this team to fall 10+ games behind and expect to make the playoffs - and I am sure that is what he is expecting. Canning Red would send a message more than anything else to the players.

As for his replacement, I think since he would still be paying Red, it's going to be a minor league call-up type. Possibility of an ex-manager too - Charlie Manuel or Kirk Gibson, especially the latter as we know Loria gets starry-eyed with "big names".

God forbid its McKeon - he's like 86 isn't he ?

What do you guys have against McKeon?

Dude this is such a hindsight is 20/20 comment. Would you care to actually elaborate on it?

In 2011, Edwin resigned and Jack was clearly not here for the long haul. Ozzie has always been a brash loudmouth but he's also been successful. Ozzie was free to leave the White Sox and we wanted a big name manager to go with our massive rebranding. There's no way to really predict the 2012 team would be such a disaster and you can't blame the Castro comments. How was hiring Ozzie in October of 2011 a bad move?

Now since the Ozzie move eventually did not work out it was time to go with a more low-key player and media friendly manager to groom the emerging 2013-14 Marlins who were going to have some serious growing pains. After Mike Matheny and Robin Ventura had some success, it wasn't out of the blue to hire a manager with limited to no major league experience. Redmond, the definition of a what we needed as far as getting away from what Ozzie was, at least had two successful minor league managing seasons. And with everyone who actually knew him always calling him a good future manager, why not give him a shot especially when we knew 2013 would be a wash in the standings? Despite what he eventually showed as far as in game decisions... How was hiring Redmond in October of 2012 a bad move?

How can it be hindsight 20/20 if I was vocally opposed to both of those hires at the second they were both made?

Not much elaboration is needed. Ozzie demonstrated idiotic in game management in Chicago and his loud mouth was certain to be a detriment. Some people here were exciting about him because he was "hilarious" and would "bring attention" to Marlins. That's utterly idiotic reasoning; this isn't the WWF or whatever. Those aren't reasons to hire someone if the main purpose is simply to win. 2012 was not a disaster because of Ozzie, but that doesn't change the fact that he wasn't a very smart manager in a strategic sense.

Redmond had virtually no managerial experience whatsoever, so it's that simple. You can certainly find a low-key, player's manager out there whose resume is more extensive than like a year or two of managing at the A ball level. I wouldn't necessarily say Matheny and Ventura are good managers or good hires, either. Ozzie is one of a kind, so you don't need to force yourself to hire only Mike Redmond in order to get someone with a personality much different from him.

I don't get the love for Edwin Rodriguez, to be honest. Did I miss something special about what he did? He also quit, didn't he?

​The specifics are hazy, but I had the general sense that he was much dopey than Ozzie, Fredi, and Redmond were in terms of putting players in favorable match-ups. As in, he had some semblance of a baseball IQ.

He quit because the team was like 2-18 for a stretch in 2011.

At the time Edwin was a really good bullpen manager, open and willing to make changes when necessary, and had the fire and intensity that made players love him. He was on pace for an extension until that month in June. Rodriguez was totally awesome, but he was probably in over his head with that team.

The best example of Rodriguez putting players in the best position was the Baker/Paulino platoon. Individually they were both average players at best, but when used to their strengths together they were one of the best catching tandems we have ever had. There's other examples of Edwin using player's to their best abilities, but that is the one that stands out most to me. EDIT: I'm an idiot this was Fredi. Well Edwin was cool for other reasons.

And yes, Lachemann was a joke, as that was pretty obvious.

Now I'm curious, how was Lach as a manager? I ask because I was a fan back then but I was ten years old or so, I can't remember and didn't pay attention to those things back then. I just thought the Marlins were the best team ever because I finally had my own team .

He was terrible. Probably the worst manager this team has ever had.

Baker/Paulino was Fredi.

But yeah, Edwin was probably the best at using players in spots where they could succeed. eg, Jeff Baker and Salty both have a higher percentage of PA against the hand they struggle against here than they have faced in the rest of their career (Worse, even just compared to normal, non-platoon players. Which is what really shows issues with Redmond). That's putting players in a position to fail.