Sign in to follow this  
SongInTheAir

Where Do We Go From Here?

Yeah, we definitely upgraded at the very very least in terms of baserunning. These Steamer projections for 2015 scare me though:

Dee Gordon: .261/.313/.341, 83 WRC+

Donovan Solano: .253/.303/.338, 79 WRC+

Derek Dietrich: .243/.302/.402, 96 WRC+

This sucks. Is it realistic to think that Dee also has some defensive upside?He has similar numbers to Hech in terms of messing up the routine plays and making the hard ones. But offensively I fear the regression. Odd thing is he had a .360 OBP in the minors. Let's see the bunt game too.

"If you're a baseball fan in South Florida, you're loving life. You have a spectacularly beautiful ballpark. You have one of the five best players in baseball agreeing to be part of a bright and shiny future. You also some of baseball's best young talent, from Jose Fernandez and Christian Yelich to Tom Koehler and Marcell Ozuna."

Richard Justice on MLB.com.

http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/article/104207858/richard-justice-marlins-full-of-intrigue-after-roster-reshaping

Always funny when a national guy squeeks in a detail that shows he doesn't really follow the team very closely. Koehler. It's kind of a narrative that Miami has notable young talent outside of the outfield and Jose.

Just thought of something terrifying: with Dee Gordon batting first and Giancarlo third, how often will Red take the bat right out of our second best player's (Yelich) hands by calling a bunt?

First inning nightmare:

Dee Gordon single.

Christian Yelich bunt.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I read that article, a nice feel good read but its hilarious that he twice brought up Koehler, once brought up Jacob Turner, and not once mentioned Cosart. Somebody missed a memo there.

This sucks. Is it realistic to think that Dee also has some defensive upside?He has similar numbers to Hech in terms of messing up the routine plays and making the hard ones. But offensively I fear the regression. Odd thing is he had a .360 OBP in the minors. Let's see the bunt game too.

Yeah, he'll end up with better defensive numbers than our other second baseman would have (especially Dietrich) but he seems to suffer from the same disease that Hech does. Hechofaplay and DeeliciousDeefense will make the twitter rounds and webgems, but they'll both have trouble with routine balls and throws.

Just thought of something terrifying: with Dee Gordon batting first and Giancarlo third, how often will Red take the bat right out of our second best player's (Yelich) hands by calling a bunt?

First inning nightmare:

Dee Gordon single.

Christian Yelich bunt.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Probably not often. You've got to think that Dee is going to steal first pretty often. Yelich will probably need to protect him and use his lefty bat to hit the ball to the right side of the infield so Dee can get to third.

Probably not often. You've got to think that Dee is going to steal first pretty often. Yelich will probably need to protect him and use his lefty bat to hit the ball to the right side of the infield so Dee can get to third.

Okay then:

Dee Gordon singles.

With Christian Yelich batting, Dee Gordon steals second.

Christian Yelich bunts.

This IS Mike Redmond we're talking about here.

Yeah, he'll end up with better defensive numbers than our other second baseman would have (especially Dietrich) but he seems to suffer from the same disease that Hech does. Hechofaplay and DeeliciousDeefense will make the twitter rounds and webgems, but they'll both have trouble with routine balls and throws.

I like to think that given their age and the general simplicity of their defensive flaw, it can get better? Right? Infield coaches are there for something.

I read that article, a nice feel good read but its hilarious that he twice brought up Koehler, once brought up Jacob Turner, and not once mentioned Cosart. Somebody missed a memo there.

Just a national writer who got assigned the 'Marlins offseason was interesting' story and he didn't bother to look too deep.

I also hate the bit about Loria supposedly having foresight. No, he has no patience and foresight. He saved a bunch of cash impulsively and the front office is mostly the same. It worked out in spite of him.