June Draft

Moran is still hitting around .300 for his minor league career, his power was the issue, but still projects to be a better player than this lump taken this year

Ya no he doesn't.  I'd be surprised if Moran ever makes the majors based on merit and not the fact

that he was a high pick

Brett Lilek, LHP, Arizona State: Junior, 3.20 ERA with 66/41 K/BB in 79 innings, 58 hits. Results spotty but the stuff isn’t, can hit 92-95 with a plus breaking ball, ideal 6-4, 195 pound athletic body, but erratic command holds him back. Could take a leap forward in pro ball. TT: Third/fourth round. 

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/6/7/8744573/2015-mlb-draft-board-college-left-handed-pitchers-to-watch

Holy, what bombs.  Hard not to be impressed.  I don't like going off the board but have to trust them considering they took Giancarlo in the second round.  Look they drafted appropriately a couple of years ago and they took Moran with the sixth pick and he might not even make it to the show.  I'm going trust the scouts here, those shots were BOMBS.  He looks like Prince Fielder...

this is the way to go as far as the type of player they need.  none of us no anything about this guy so for the person saying this is a horrible pick stop being stupid.

We needed a power bat at a corner infield spot.  we need to load up the bats in our system.  thats the way you build a consistent winner in an MLB where every team has good pitching.

​He's probably at least 3 years away. You don't draft players based on what the 2015 team needs.

​even though this team needs a lot ;)

​Well, exactly. It kind of has major holes to fill in every area. They probably have the worst farm system in baseball right now. That's why you don't try to address one specific gap apparent right now and draft the best player available.

Well then, the Marlins must have made the right choice after all...

Another opportunity to rip Loria and this organization, here goes:  Naylor was a reach and was obviously selected to save $$$$.  Which then could've been used on a more highly rated college pitcher in Round 2 (Cody Ponce, or Mike Matuella anyone?) or even a dropping commodity at a position of dire need (e.g. prep catcher Chris Betts).  But, instead, predictably, we draft yet another reach in Brent Lilek.

I don't know why I keep following this team.  To paraphrase Talking Heads, as long as Loria continues to own this franchise, it's "the same as it ever was."

They better fucking select some huge reaches in the later rounds and give them a large bonus, or this is just retarded as hell.

​They're kind of locked into what they can pay per slot, they have $6,766,400 to spend across 40 picks. Assuming they don't sign everyone and that Naylor is due $3 mil and Lilek $1.1 doesn't leave a whole bunch to share among the rest of the selections. The only way this works is if the higher picks sign below slot value, well that or the Marlins get penalized for going over budget, I don't think we'll have to worry about that

​They're kind of locked into what they can pay per slot, they have $6,766,400 to spend across 40 picks. Assuming they don't sign everyone and that Naylor is due $3 mil and Lilek $1.1 doesn't leave a whole bunch to share among the rest of the selections. The only way this works is if the higher picks sign below slot value, well that or the Marlins get penalized for going over budget, I don't think we'll have to worry about that

​It's not a hard lock, however. The only reason anyone would ever do what the Marlins did was to allocate some of the Round 1 money to the later rounds in order to change high schoolers' minds about going to college. 

But we're talking about the Marlins here. They probably won't do that and just save the money.