Derek Dietrich Officially Off the Shit List; Called Up from Triple-A

Yeah the timing of this Dietrich call up is a little strange knowing someone is being sent down tomorrow for Latos. With that said, even with his history here I don't see Dietrich being a one day call up. Admin may be onto something with Solanos days finally being numbered here. Then again, it'll likely be a bullpen guy going down. Maybe when Morse returns Solano will finally go.

Yeah the timing of this Dietrich call up is a little strange knowing someone is being sent down tomorrow for Latos. With that said, even with his history here I don't see Dietrich being a one day call up. Admin may be onto something with Solanos days finally being numbered here. Then again, it'll likely be a bullpen guy going down. Maybe when Morse returns Solano will finally go.

​I'm pretty sure tomorrow's move will be a DFA, whether it be Cilantro or Hand.

Dietrich deserves the callup. He's been on fire lately with hits in 12 of last 16 games. He has a good approach at the plate despite having shitty patience. He's a spot start guy who will surprise once in a while when he is hot in the majors.

​a .750 OPS June (.206 BA) is hardly being "on fire"

​He started off the season hot, went on a prolonged cold streak, and has been hitting decently well for a few weeks now. Not his best season but he's hitting well now.

Never thought I'd see the day Dietrich got off the "Never call him back up ever" list. This seems likely an opportunity to give Dietrich some AB's and showcase him for other teams in a potential trade closer to the deadline, but it's nice that he isn't wasting away in AAA anymore.

While he's not the next great 2nd baseman, he's good enough that he should be getting daily starting AB's for some major league team, even if that team isn't us.

​I think you are overrating him like most people on the board do. His defense is awful and his bat isn't exceptional despite being able to pop a home run every now and then. His trade value is close to insignificant. A minor league bullpen arm who will never see the light of day.

All I've ever said is his minor league numbers warranted more of an opportunity than he was given. I stand by that statement. It's unfair that a nutcase of a hitting coach has had even a little effect on his career.

All I've ever said is his minor league numbers warranted more of an opportunity than he was given. I stand by that statement. It's unfair that a nutcase of a hitting coach has had even a little effect on his career.

​I don't think that his absence from the major league team is mostly because of the Tino incident. His major league numbers aren't good enough to keep him around and I think he's gotten more than a fair chance. He also doesn't fit the profile of a utility player.

You also seem to think that he actually has something to "showcase" at the MLB level, so that's the claim that I'm taking the most issue with here.

If Dietrich could post a .750 OPS at some point in his major league career, that would put him in the top 10 of major league 2nd basemen. Regardless of defense at the moment, the question becomes do you think Dietrich could post a .750 OPS in the majors at some point. He posted an .890 OPS in Jax at 23, went for 1.000+ in somewhat short time in AAA, and displayed power potential that can be hard to find at the major league level. He posted a near .900 OPS in his stint in April last year. While he was definitely inconsistent, it generally came with the fact that he flipped flopped in and out of the lineup at random because the team wanted to give Solano chances.

Does he really warrant a call up based on his numbers this year? Probably not. Is he ready to be a good starter in the majors today? No, and a good deal of that has to do with mismanagement of his plate appearances which goes back to consistency.

There's actually a good chance he's a bad player. I don't deny that very real fact. The Marlins really botched their chance to truly see what they had in him. It was obvious Solano was a bad player with no real future with the squad. It was absolutely infuriating to see a player with Dietrich's power potential rotting on the bench when he could improve his game getting regular AB's.

It's not so much complaining about not using a good player. For me at least it's about not giving Dietrich the right opportunity to showcase the potential he has. He was getting better in the minors before the call up. There's a good chance the team called him up too early and, worst of all, didn't give him regular AB's in the majors or minors for the longest time. I stand by my feeling that Dietrich is a Grade A example of this front office mismanaging some players. I don't see him going off for some other team, but at least let him get a shot at regular AB's with some other squad. I'm pretty sure the Yankees would be better served with Dietrich than the production they're getting from Stephen Drew.

He has a hit in all but 3 games this month and his end of May was ridiculous. He's gone on hot and cold streaks for much of his career. Only constant has been strikeouts which he does very well. His end of May and decent beginning to this month warrants the call up over Rojas. I really think Dietrich is destined to be a AAA guy. The amount of times he strikes out against minor league pitching just isn't sustainable for a major leaguer to have much success. Sucks cuz I used to really like him.

To me the bottom line with Dietrich is that he's got nothing left to prove in the minors and he has enough skills to warrant a major league roster spot and throughout all this time his roster spot has been blocked by players clearly no better than him, some even worse. Solano, Kelly, Brignac this year, others in the past as well.

If Dietrich could post a .750 OPS at some point in his major league career, that would put him in the top 10 of major league 2nd basemen. Regardless of defense at the moment, the question becomes do you think Dietrich could post a .750 OPS in the majors at some point. He posted an .890 OPS in Jax at 23, went for 1.000+ in somewhat short time in AAA, and displayed power potential that can be hard to find at the major league level. He posted a near .900 OPS in his stint in April last year. While he was definitely inconsistent, it generally came with the fact that he flipped flopped in and out of the lineup at random because the team wanted to give Solano chances.

Does he really warrant a call up based on his numbers this year? Probably not. Is he ready to be a good starter in the majors today? No, and a good deal of that has to do with mismanagement of his plate appearances which goes back to consistency.

There's actually a good chance he's a bad player. I don't deny that very real fact. The Marlins really botched their chance to truly see what they had in him. It was obvious Solano was a bad player with no real future with the squad. It was absolutely infuriating to see a player with Dietrich's power potential rotting on the bench when he could improve his game getting regular AB's.

It's not so much complaining about not using a good player. For me at least it's about not giving Dietrich the right opportunity to showcase the potential he has. He was getting better in the minors before the call up. There's a good chance the team called him up too early and, worst of all, didn't give him regular AB's in the majors or minors for the longest time. I stand by my feeling that Dietrich is a Grade A example of this front office mismanaging some players. I don't see him going off for some other team, but at least let him get a shot at regular AB's with some other squad. I'm pretty sure the Yankees would be better served with Dietrich than the production they're getting from Stephen Drew.

​His playing time in the bigs has certainly been consistent enough. I don't know why people always use that as an excuse.

He's gotten plenty of opportunities, but has not performed. Simple as that.

Almost forgot we even had this guy. Bour has come back down to earth breaking that 1-22 slump yesterday. Baker is a platoon hitter so for right now Dietrich may just been offering some 1B help and a bench bat.

Looks like when Morse comes back they are going to give him every chance to get back in the lineup and start again.

I think our lineup is lengthen a lot more with the way it is being structured. Gordon, Prado, Yelich, Stanton, Ozuna and so forth...