I agree that they are a cheap FO. There is no doubting that, and free agency is another issue entirely, but I don't see anything wrong with re-signing our own players on bargain contracts. Wouldn't you rather that than them overpaying?

i never said anything about that.  I just don't want them holding that out as if that is their example of them spending money because we all know either Giancarlo or ownership won't be here after year 6 of his contract and they made a smart below market move to sign Yelich.  Don't hold that over the fan base as if you care more about winning that money as if the fan base is stupid.

this disgusts me.  sadly, i've had to post in support of what the front office had done last offseason with trying to better the team. including this pick was just a vulgar slap in the face to anyone who cares about this team.  with a farm system bereft of any real talent (sans Justin Twine) we go dumping off a pick to save 8mil next year even with one of the lowest payrolls out there already?  i'm not sure i'm buying that Loria ok'd them to take on money to get people back as that seems to be lip service because if that WERE the case, this deal would never have been made. 

Hill:  Can we agree to take on some or all of the salary of these guys if we get some good prospects back?

Loria:  No

Hill:  but we suck and we've already emptied the farm and traded away our extra picks over the last couple years.

Loria: And?

Hill:  pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

Loria:  Ok, if their last name is Solano then send whatever money is needed to acquire him.  that way i can tell Admin that I've ok'd money if NEEDED.

The crazy part is that this team is making millions! We are talking about reinvesting when the real money they are making isn't even being addressed!

The closest example I have is to car insurance...the insurance company doesn't make money on your premium...they offset the costs of your potential losses on the first term of your premium. The real money they make is when they invest a percentage of your premium in stocks and bonds...

...by the time they raise your rates and you get pissed off enough to leave...they have doubled or tripled your premium and planned...even hoped...you would leave.

this disgusts me.  sadly, i've had to post in support of what the front office had done last offseason with trying to better the team. including this pick was just a vulgar slap in the face to anyone who cares about this team.  with a farm system bereft of any real talent (sans Justin Twine) we go dumping off a pick to save 8mil next year even with one of the lowest payrolls out there already?  i'm not sure i'm buying that Loria ok'd them to take on money to get people back as that seems to be lip service because if that WERE the case, this deal would never have been made. 

Hill:  Can we agree to take on some or all of the salary of these guys if we get some good prospects back?

Loria:  No

Hill:  but we suck and we've already emptied the farm and traded away our extra picks over the last couple years.

Loria: And?

Hill:  pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase

Loria:  Ok, if their last name is Solano then send whatever money is needed to acquire him.  that way i can tell Admin that I've ok'd money if NEEDED.

only thing incorrect is system has no talent. It does. Especially pitching

Ding ding ding.

They don't trade a draft pick if Loria is cool with taking on money. The draft pick was traded in order to dump Morse's salary, and Morse's salary was dumped because Loria didn't want to pay it.

Guest Guest
No one still knows the prospects coming here lol.

fish don't either probably.  Hill probably creamed his pants when someone took Morse's contract off his hands and just said "give me whatever, your choice".

I know they come from a list of about 8 names, just don't know the 3 that ended up in the final deal.  All 8 are useless.

Cbs Sports Article

excerpt:

3. The Dodgers "bought" another draft pick.

Earlier this year, the Dodgers essentially bought a 2015 draft pick. They acquired the 74th overall selection from the Orioles by taking on Ryan Webb's contract ($2.69 million), which the O's no longer wanted on the books. Webb was released by the Dodgers soon after the trade. As this trade and the Webb trade show, Los Angeles is using their financial might by taking on bad contracts from other teams, as long as they throw in a draft pick. It's a smart strategy for a huge market team.

4. The Marlins have traded three draft picks in three years.

For the third time in three years, the Marlins have traded their competitive balance lottery pick. Their traded their 2014 pick to the Pirates for Bryan Morris, their 2015 pick to the Astros in the Jarred Cosart trade, and their 2016 pick to the Dodgers for salary relief. I'm not opposed to trading draft picks for actual MLB players, but using it to shed a contract like with Morse? That shows the system is not working as designed. The competitive balance lottery pick system was implemented to help small market teams add prospects, not sell off for financial relief.

Guest Guest

MLB is not happy with the Marlins for continuing to throw away draft picks when they were intended to be used for competitive balance purposes I hear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.