Phillies get Worrell

TSwift25

The Phillies signed free-agent reliever Tim Worrell to a two-year contract believed to be worth about $6 million, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported Tuesday.

Worrell's signing firms up the back end of Philadelphia's bullpen, which the club began to make over via a trade for Houston closer Billy Wagner last month. The Phillies sent right-hander Brandon Duckworth and minor league right-handers Taylor Buchholz and Ezequiel Astacio to the Astros.

The Phillies converted only 33 saves in 51 opportunities as right-handers Jose Mesa and Mike Williams both faltered.

Worrell stepped in for three-time All-Star Robb Nen as the San Francisco Giants' closer last season and had 38 saves. Nen underwent shoulder surgery to repair a partial tear in his right rotator cuff and missed the entire year.

In 76 appearances last season, Worrell was 4-4 with a 2.87 ERA. The Giants decided to pare their mid-80s payroll to $70 million for the 2004 season and let go a slew of free agents, including Worrell, Benito Santiago, and Rich Aurilia.

:confused

Relax guys, remember we will have 6 starting pitchers next year. I hope that Redman is not dumped any time soon.

I believe AJ will be the key man on the pen on 2003 first half. I really think we just need ONE more signing and we are set. If AJ is 100% and ready to start, then you move Pavano or whoever makes sense at the time to the bullpen.

Relax guys, remember we will have 6 starting pitchers next year. I hope that Redman is not dumped any time soon.

I believe AJ will be the key man on the pen on 2003 first half. I really think we just need ONE more signing and we are set. If AJ is 100% and ready to start, then you move Pavano or whoever makes sense at the time to the bullpen.

we need a good lefty in our bulpen, you're right, i would be comfortable with Pavano coming out of the pen.

You dont want Aurilia - too much money for mediocrity at this point. No value.

Worrell is a little old, 36, but successful. I think the Phils got a good deal - $3M per, but that is probably a little rich for our team. That said, the Phills always find a way to muck it up. I am not worried.

Fresh Fish, we are more than one signing away here. I am not comfortable with AJ in the pen UNLESS he is ready. I dont really want to see him throwing until after the ASB though. We cannot rush him back and to put him in the pen to respond to the Phils would be hazardous. We need to sign a couple of solid arms, and we will be fine. I dont think we need to get a name though...

You dont want Aurilia - too much money for mediocrity at this point. No value.

Worrell is a little old, 36, but successful. I think the Phils got a good deal - $3M per, but that is probably a little rich for our team. That said, the Phills always find a way to muck it up. I am not worried.

Fresh Fish, we are more than one signing away here. I am not comfortable with AJ in the pen UNLESS he is ready. I dont really want to see him throwing until after the ASB though. We cannot rush him back and to put him in the pen to respond to the Phils would be hazardous. We need to sign a couple of solid arms, and we will be fine. I dont think we need to get a name though...

hmm, What about the statements about AJ being ready by opening day? By being rdy, I mean rdy to come out from the pen.

Yeah, I know he is projected to be ready, and very well could be. I am very hesitant though, I dont like rushing a guy back from something like that. We will see. I think the pen is a solid place for him to be, but I would rather him go on rehab assignment at AAA then move up to pen around ASB. Then afterwards, if he looks good, get him back into the rotation. The biggest thing will be his conditioning and timing. We may have to keep him in the pen for most of the season.

My point is though, we should try and sign some $2-3M arms for the pen. We need a closer and a lefty. Dont have to be big names, in fact, probably wont be. I am still interested in the idea of Robert Person converting to closer. If nothing else, spot starter/long relief.

the Braves??????

ya lose ya ACE, ya best 2 hitters in ya Line-up and you will be okay next year my assssssssssssss

between Javy and Gary they have lost 82 home runs and about 230+ RBI's and 200+ RUNS

and you say the Braves will be up there with the Marlins.....

and yes i understand Bryd will be back next year

but the Phillies Pen right now is the best in the NL

and the Marlins have done nothing to address there pen with the Xception of signing Fox to 1 year deal and make em our closer