Here's a Breakdown of Our Latos Giveaway

If they use all of this saved money for a big SP, it'll be worth it.

Im reserving anger until I see where this cash savings goes and what payroll is next year

Im sorry but how many years can we say this.  this money will be reinvested in several retread free agents or the marlins will choose the wrong free agents and we will be stuck in this pattern because this front office has no clue what they are doing and this ownership is god awful.

If they use all of this saved money for a big SP, it'll be worth it.

Im reserving anger until I see where this cash savings goes and what payroll is next year

I hope this is an ironic post, since they've never done this other than the one time where they just sold everyone off after 3 months.

I hope this is an ironic post, since they've never done this other than the one time where they just sold everyone off after 3 months.

They actually just did that this offseason. They just handed out a $325 million contract, bought out their next best position player for another $50ish, and did fill out their roster with a bunch of real veterans (prado, latos, haren, morse, baker, crow, ichiro). There is nothing ironic about saying they are probably going to spend a bit in free agency - especially since a payroll estimation right now for 2016 is around $63 million to keep the entire team together.

I would be shocked if they pocket that money. They aren't the smartest, but they know they need to buy some goodwill with Stanton and Fernandez (and likely MLB commissioners office who is probably scolding them behind the scenes right now), and it'll be nuts if they pocket that money and go into next year with a $65 million payroll adding no one.

Now, maybe they target the wrong guy. They seem to be doing that lately - bell, buck, salty, morse, etc. But they are going to spend it.

How much? I don't know. They saved $20 million bucks, so I'd hope that's the minimum. That should get a good SP, and round out the bench.

Optimistically, you'd hope they acquire two starting pitchers, trade Koehler and Dunn for more young arms, get Bour a good proven platoon partner, and a veteran 4th OF not on his last legs, but we'll see.

You can't ignore last offseason just because it didn't work. They committed to spending over $400 million dollars. Seriously, $400 million dollars.

You can't ignore last offseason just because it didn't work. They committed to spending over $400 million dollars. Seriously, $400 million dollars.

They probably could have cut that in half if they hadn't tried to save money and extended Stanton years ago before he demanded that much salary.

We would all like the Marlins to sign a proven big bat and an ace pitcher, but the additions needed to make this team would mean a payroll of 90-100 million, which although it's a reasonable payroll for baseball, our shitty organization won't do it. 

I really don't understand why the Marlins don't spend the money; if you win, you will fill the stands, sell jerseys and make the playoffs. I hate the team excuse that they're playing in a "small market".  Has someone explained to them their franchise in is one of the largest cities in the country and they're the only baseball show in town? When will they realize the fans have figured out they're selling snake-oil, and nobody is buying. 

The Heat were top 5 in the NBA attendance last year despite missing the playoffs because the fans believed in, and rewarded the organization for trying and building a culture of winning. 

The Dolphins are similarly being rewarded for the prospect of finally busting out of mediocrity, with season ticket sales up 75% since 2010... Yet the Marlins offer nothing but losses and gimmicks. 

They probably could have cut that in half if they hadn't tried to save money and extended Stanton years ago before he demanded that much salary.

I was a pretty strong advocate to buying out Stanton earlier. I would say they could have saved triple or quadruple that money, with the caveat being Stanton would be signed for 7 not 13 years.

We would all like the Marlins to sign a proven big bat and an ace pitcher, but the additions needed to make this team would mean a payroll of 90-100 million, which although it's a reasonable payroll for baseball, our shitty organization won't do it. 

I really don't understand why the Marlins don't spend the money; if you win, you will fill the stands, sell jerseys and make the playoffs. I hate the team excuse that they're playing in a "small market".  Has someone explained to them their franchise in is one of the largest cities in the country and they're the only baseball show in town? When will they realize the fans have figured out they're selling snake-oil, and nobody is buying. 

The Heat were top 5 in the NBA attendance last year despite missing the playoffs because the fans believed in, and rewarded the organization for trying and building a culture of winning. 

The Dolphins are similarly being rewarded for the prospect of finally busting out of mediocrity, with season ticket sales up 75% since 2010... Yet the Marlins offer nothing but losses and gimmicks. 

100% agree.

it would be hard not to get excited about a $90 million payroll with this core. 

Assuming Koehler and Dunn are traded for younger relievers, that would give them roughly $33 million to spend on two SP and two bench bats.

Thats Greinke money, and enough to fill out the other spots.

People also don't give a shit about baseball down here.

I disagree.

south Florida fans are what they are, but as soon as loria leaves and they start operating like a smart team, I think we'll see a Dallas Mavericks type resurgence in popularity.

It's a little of both. People don't love baseball down here but they will follow a hot trendy winning team. It's hard to remember but there were plenty that claimed to be Marlins fans when the ballpark opened, when we spent big on that 2012 team, and when we extended Stanton.

I myself am ready for a new front office.

I really think with the right front office this team isn't that far away from being solid. With the right changes it wouldn't take that long to be hot again.

It's a little of both. People don't love baseball down here but they will follow a hot trendy winning team. It's hard to remember but there were plenty that claimed to be Marlins fans when the ballpark opened, when we spent big on that 2012 team, and when we extended Stanton.

I myself am ready for a new front office.

I really think with the right front office this team isn't that far away from being solid. With the right changes it wouldn't take that long to be hot again.

to play devils advocate, if the team isn't that far away, aren't they then doing a good job?

not defending them here because I hate some of their operations (not trading cishek last year, koleck over rodon, etc), but the core of this team is great and they have an enviable future payroll position as compared to the rest of baseball. Granted, that's because they don't spend real money besides Stanton. 

The just need to spend money. A $90 million payroll would be bottom 5 in the league, and the 2016 team would look awesome. Also, beefing up their analytics department and spending more on international signings would help a ton. Their farm is weak because of that. 

That really fixes all the problems as they then would have a smarter scouting department and have real payroll to fix holes on teams and not have to perpetually sign the Casey mcgehees of the world and get LAD to send over cash in every deal. It's frustrating, but papa loria controls the bank. it all starts from the top

to play devils advocate, if the team isn't that far away, aren't they then doing a good job?

not defending them here because I hate some of their operations (not trading cishek last year, koleck over rodon, etc), but the core of this team is great and they have an enviable future payroll position as compared to the rest of baseball. Granted, that's because they don't spend real money besides Stanton. 

The just need to spend money. A $90 million payroll would be bottom 5 in the league, and the 2016 team would look awesome. Also, beefing up their analytics department and spending more on international signings would help a ton. Their farm is weak because of that. 

That really fixes all the problems as they then would have a smarter scouting department and have real payroll to fix holes on teams and not have to perpetually sign the Casey mcgehees of the world and get LAD to send over cash in every deal. It's frustrating, but papa loria controls the bank. it all starts from the top

im not sure if u were agreeing or disagreeing with me but yes I guess they've done a decent job in getting to this point as far as the core. I agree that spending some more and spending it wisely is what's needed. And I think it'll take a new front office with a different approach to take that next step. As far as Loria I think if he trusts a new front office with a different approach I think there's room for success even with him still here. Yea he has his issues but say he allows a higher payroll and we have a gm that approaches things differently than Hill and DJ  and Loria allows them to do their jobs, success is possible.

To be fair to South Florida, I think, to loosely quote the opposite of Vince COL, all fans want a culture of winning before they attend games in large amounts. Even the Yankees in the 80s, when Steinbrenner was peak crazy, suffered from low attendance, if I recall correctly. A team needs to win, and win consistently, from season to season, before the fans come rolling in. Only really the Cubs and Red Sox (pre-2004) have been able to crystalize their "losers" mentality into fan loyalty and not fan indifference.

Even if the Marlins are a playoff team next season, I bet they still average less than 30,000/game.

one year of competing for the playoffs won't cure the last 15 years of fire sales, being cheap and the trading of this generation's greatest hitter. To average close to 30k a game They need to show consistent success. Like a stretch of 5-6 years when they're in the race pretty much every year and make the playoffs 3-4 times in that span. I've lived in Miami most of my life. The baseball fans are here. We've always had high local television viewership including at the beginning of this season and whenever we make moves like last offseason the streets do notice   This offseason everyone in town knew what the Marlins were doing but people stop watching and listening when you start losing and when you fire your manager and appoint Dan Jennings as manager  

Let's also not forget that in this stadium averaging 30k a game is pretty much almost selling out every single game  

Let's be real here on Stanton.  He is opting out of his deal.  If he doesnt opt out its due to some major injury and the Marlins are fucked.  The contract he has now, is a fucking steal for the Marlins and other than basically a 200 mil insurance policy, I dont know why Stanton signed it.  Though, for a 200 mil insurance policy, I"d sign it too, tbh.

I'm not convinced on Stanton opting out at this stage because five more seasons is a long time and he signed that thing with patience in mind.  He's not making that decision this early.

With our lack of success I suspect Loria does change the front office sooner than later and who knows what's after Hill and Jennings... If they next front office makes wholesale changes and things are better in say 3-4 years, maybe Stanton and all of us have a different outlook.

Point is, it's too soon to predict anything.

I'm not convinced on Stanton opting out at this stage because five more seasons is a long time and he signed that thing with patience in mind.  He's not making that decision this early.

With our lack of success I suspect Loria does change the front office sooner than later and who knows what's after Hill and Jennings... If they next front office makes wholesale changes and things are better in say 3-4 years, maybe Stanton and all of us have a different outlook.

Point is, it's too soon to predict anything.

there is no way stanton doesnt opt out unless he has been injured and/or has a major injury in his career to limit his career.

not to say he wont re-up with the marlins but he WILL opt out unless something bad happens to him.

You're on fire lately.

I know everyone likes to shit on them (and for good reason), but there are some things that this front office does well.

For example, I don't think anyone can deny that they have a decent eye for talent. We have had some pretty damn talented players on our rosters over the last decade. The problem has been that the FO hasn't been able to supplement those players with good supporting guys (largely due to the fact that they, for the most part, ignore analytics) and that many of those guys have been unable to stay healthy. Seriously; is there a team in baseball that has been more snakebitten by injuries for as long as the Marlins have?

Plus, when the FO has tried to spend, it simply hasn't worked out, and that's not even necessarily their fault.

That being said, not spending money regularly is the biggest issue. Failing to extend Cabrera early on absolutely doomed this team for the last eight years and prevented at least a couple of playoff appearances and perhaps a deep run or two. I mentioned in another thread that we could have had a middle of the order that consisted of Cabrera, Hanley and Stanton for at least a couple of seasons. I personally feel that a team with that kind of offense could have won 95+ games and a World Series title.

The Cabrera trade itself was also a disaster, but in fairness, the Marlins were getting back two blue-chip prospects in Maybin and Miller at the time.

There is absolutely potential here. You just have to hope that the team doesn't shy away from spending this winter due to the fact that it didn't manifest into something positive this season.

there is no way stanton doesnt opt out unless he has been injured and/or has a major injury in his career to limit his career.

not to say he wont re-up with the marlins but he WILL opt out unless something bad happens to him.

You think he'd opt out and then sign with us again? What's the point in that?